KW says "no Puig"

Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Basically an injury away in the corners to having to see Daniel Palka or Nick Delmonico on this roster. Thats enough of a reason for me.

His numbers last year against lefties were good, although they were bad in 17 and 18. I'd gamble on it personally.

He’s definitely the ideal platoon mate for Mazara, but he’s still better against LHP than Nomar and his reverse splits do help in the event of an injury.

15 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Basically an injury away in the corners to having to see Daniel Palka or Nick Delmonico on this roster. Thats enough of a reason for me.

His numbers last year against lefties were good, although they were bad in 17 and 18. I'd gamble on it personally.

This is why I'd have no problem with the Sox signing Puig.  I think we've seen enough of Palka and Delmonico.

14 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Bingo. Good teams have good bench players who can sub in effectively in case of injury. I'm not as worried about the infield because I think Mendick would be an adequate enough replacement for Madrigal or even Timmy.. well.. we'll see how he performs with the glove this season (we're screwed if Moncada misses alot of time) and there's plenty of good hitters (Encarnacion, Grandal, maybe Collins/Sheets) who can fill in at 1B for Abreu if something happens to him but the outfield bench isn't very good (you can say screwed if Robert misses time too as he and Moncada are probably our main 2 guys who are irreplaceable, even temporarily.  Maybe add Timmy to the list if his defense improves). Eloy is tremendous but you can at least survive with Puig (or Mazara) in that spot because of the glove and an adequate enough bat. 

Here’s I’d see certain positions shaking out next year with the addition of Puig:

• RF: Mazara = ~105; Puig =~55
  • LF: Eloy = ~140; Puig = ~20
  • 1B: Abreu = ~130; EE = ~20; Grandal =~10
  • DH: EE = ~110; Abreu = ~20; Grandal =~20; Eloy = ~10
  • CA: Grandal = ~120; McCann = ~40

Even without a major injury, he could get close to 75 starts next year.  That’s a huge amount of playing time to give to Engel or Luery (or Mazara against LHP).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

I have argued vehemently against Puig all winter, but OF depth is of concern.  I am actually a little intrigued by the possibility.  Perhaps sitting out on the market all winter has given him a bit of humility and or perspective?  #WishfulThinking

This is how I feel.  Puig is both terrifying and intriguing at the same time.  I will say that Hahn has commented on our lack of depth claiming it keeps him up at night so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we added him. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is how I feel.  Puig is both terrifying and intriguing at the same time.  I will say that Hahn has commented on our lack of depth claiming it keeps him up at night so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we added him. 

I forgot about that Hahn quote. I think he also recently mentioned the RF situation specifically as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

If they sign Puig, fine. I think there are better ways to spend their resources. He doesn't hit lefties very well anymore. Has only played RF since 2016. Mazara hits RHP pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good. I really don't see the fit, but I guess they could find him ABs.

I could be wrong and I’m too lazy to check but I believe last year was one of his better years hitting lefties

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I could be wrong and I’m too lazy to check but I believe last year was one of his better years hitting lefties

I dug up his splits in an earlier post, and yes last year was better than previous, but he was propped up more by a few hot months than being good over all.  Better than Mazara vs LH but not much better than Leury if I recall correctly.

Edited by SouthWallace

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Robert is a grown man. If being around Puig derails him, he won’t last long in the MLB. You are bound to cross paths with potentially bad character guys. 

I still don’t want Puig on the team. Him not being around Robert is just one of the reasons.

Edited by flavum

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The 2 previous years .628 OPS in 2018, .592 OPS in 2017. Last year it was .791, only 50 points lower than Adam Engel.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s I’d see certain positions shaking out next year with the addition of Puig:

• RF: Mazara = ~105; Puig =~55
  • LF: Eloy = ~140; Puig = ~20
  • 1B: Abreu = ~130; EE = ~20; Grandal =~10
  • DH: EE = ~110; Abreu = ~20; Grandal =~20; Eloy = ~10
  • CA: Grandal = ~120; McCann = ~40

Even without a major injury, he could get close to 75 starts next year.  That’s a huge amount of playing time to give to Engel or Luery (or Mazara against LHP).

I actually can see a pathway to 4 outfielders all getting big time.

Robert - 145

Eloy - 140

Mazara - 120

Puig - 81

Puig can play some center in a bind I imagine. 140-145 gives Eloy enough days off to keep him fresh, same with Robert. Mazara starts against the 75% of games started by righties that pitch in a year for 120 games. He really shouldn't sit vs righties. 

You could sprinkle. You could even sprinkle Puig in as DH 5 games and you get him near 90 of 162. If Puig or Mazara get really hot, just ride the hot hand for some time.

I'm not a huge fan of the Puig signing - I also think Leury is your 4th outfielder to replace an injured guy (not Engel or Delmonico) so I don't really see that angle - mainly because I am not sure how Puig would be receptive to this role, and I actually think Puig is an asshole and not just misunderstood as some think here. Maybe he mellows with Abreu's leadership - Abreu seems to have an aura surrounding him in the Cuban baseball community - but I don't think that's a guarantee. If they keep Mendick, then Leury can float into the outfield.

What I will say about Puig, is the talent has always been there and maybe you unlock the 3-5 fWAR guy he was before and you get him for free. It's not likely, per se, but it is certainly possible. It wouldn't shock me to see Puig have a higher fWAR per 162 than the two big money FA outfielders this off-season.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to KW says "no Puig"