KW says "no Puig"

Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

I’m not saying the Sox make the most sense for Puig since he would mostly be in a platoon with Mazara as long as everyone is healthy but do the Rockies make much more sense with their current outfield situation?

Charlie Blackmon

David Dahl

Ian Desmond

Raimel Tapia

Edited by Moan4Yoan

57 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not saying the Sox make the most sense for Puig since he would mostly be in a platoon with Mazara as long as everyone is healthy but do the Rockies make much more sense with their current outfield situation?

Charlie Blackmon

David Dahl

Ian Desmond

Raimel Tapia

That's what i said too + hilliard and hampson. they have no room for him.

even with domingo santana i think the indians make sense unless they're counting on a healthy season from zimmer. even at that - i think he still even has a spot on that team. They are still my odds on favorite unless Francona really did hate him that much. Orioles to sell seats. Mariners because it's literally the worst team in baseball and he'd play. those are my top guesses. 

I agree with what everyone is saying with regard to Stone's condescending tone on Twitter but he is pretty plugged in with the Sox front office.  While there is always a possibility that something comes together out the blue, if Stone says "no" about Puig its because the front office isn't planning on making an offer.  Sure something could change but I doubt it.  Stone doesn't like to be wrong so if he's saying something definitive its because he's heard it directly from Hahn or Williams (or even the Chairman). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

As an employee of the White Sox can he even say that they are not in on a player? Isn’t that against the rules? He does it often

I don’t think there any any prohibiting rules in the off-season. During the playing year they have such guidelines in place by the union - from what I recall.

7 hours ago, Orlando said:

Robert is a grown man. If being around Puig derails him, he won’t last long in the MLB. You are bound to cross paths with potentially bad character guys. 

He's 22, not a grown man. Think about yourself at 22 and give you 80 million dollars. How mature and responsible and impressionable would you be?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It really surprises me how many people think Puig is actually a good major league baseball player at this point.  

It’s baffling really.  Pulling out all these cherry-picked platoon stats and defensive metrics that make him barely an upgrade.  Like barely.  

Somehow we’re all seeing it wrong and missing the big picture and the obvious upgrade.  But yet so are 29 other teams.  

Why is Puig begging for a job as we get close to March and forcing out all these character plays on social media? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It really surprises me how many people think Puig is actually a good major league baseball player at this point.  

I would classify him as good, not great, but good. I’ll take good coming off the bench. He has decent speed, decent power, decent defense, decent OBP, etc. Not exceptional in any but the bat would  be better than any other we’d have coming off the bench. He has also shown the ability to get very hot for periods of time where he can carry a team, and I don’t think Engel or Garcia have that type of impact. I would like to see them take a chance with Puig and upgrade the bench.

3 minutes ago, tsak31 said:

I would classify him as good, not great, but good. I’ll take good coming off the bench. He has decent speed, decent power, decent defense, decent OBP, etc. Not exceptional in any but the bat would  be better than any other we’d have coming off the bench. He has also shown the ability to get very hot for periods of time where he can carry a team, and I don’t think Engel or Garcia have that type of impact. I would like to see them take a chance with Puig and upgrade the bench.

I also believe Stoney though, so now I don’t have my hopes up that this might be happening. 

Just now, Orlando said:

I really want him to be wrong once. I would love to see the twitter responses after how condescending he has been with fans.

Steve doesn't give a sh** about anything except showing how smart he is. He bores me. 

• Like 1

I know it’s Bruce Levine but he was on The Score just now and said he doesn’t see Puig happening.  He said, “the Sox are pretty much maxed-out money-wise.”

This could explain why they haven’t signed any cheap bench options.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

24 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I know it’s Bruce Levine but he was on The Score just now and said he doesn’t see Puig happening.  He said, “the Sox are pretty much maxed-out money-wise.”

Hahn has already stated the Sox are far from maxed out money wise...

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would guess maybe they had a budget for the beginning of this year - taking into account potential mid season adds and further FA and arb commitments in the future - and maybe they're near that ceiling. I doubt it prevented them from signing Brock Holt though.

It's hard to say because Bruce has no idea what's happening.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn has already stated the Sox are far from maxed out money wise...

I think that means in general - meaning they see their peak payroll in the 160-180 range but they have no plan to he there tomorrow or this year given that guys pay raises are likely factored in, as well as the addition of future FA. Not sure why spending on a 1 year deal would impact that but maybe money saved today is money spent tomorrow for Rick.

• Heads22 changed the title to KW says "no Puig"