KW says "no Puig"

Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

My first thought was that they could just be maxed out for this year. They have played this game in the past where they'll spend if the fans show up at the park. So, for right now, it's on the fans to support the product as it exists today with the thought being that the additional income will be put on the field. 

Good luck with all those planned player-friendly extensions for Moncada, Giolito, Madrigal, etc. 

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

Pretty surprising that he’s still unsigned ( in some ways ) and in other ways, it isn’t surprising at all.

Wouldn't be all that shocking to see him in Japan.

Apparently, he burned that bridge with a toxic insta video acting disgusted with Japanese culture while over there at some point. There was a tweet about it not that long ago. Apparently, the owners want nothing to do with him.

8 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Apparently, he burned that bridge with a toxic insta video acting disgusted with Japanese culture while over there at some point. There was a tweet about it not that long ago. Apparently, the owners want nothing to do with him.

Ah... perhaps he’s worn out his welcome everywhere then, baring some mlb injury?

It’s almost over.  The most interesting thing to me is that 30 MLB franchises pay teams and teams of people to analyze stats all day long.  They look at stats from directions and contexts we as fans could ONLY HOPE to understand one day.  

And yet, nobody has signed him.  

And yet, fans, the people with less than 1% of the knowledge front offices have, think Puig is a good idea because of stats.  As if the front offices don’t have access to dumb shit like fangraphs, stat cast blah blah you name it.  Somehow the 30 professional baseball teams are the ones making a mistake...because of internet stats.  

blows my mind.   

Edited by Jerksticks

This is such a dumbass typical Colorado Rockies move... they have all the young talent, all spots covered, yet they'll happily sign a mediocre veteran to block their rookies....

Wish the Sox had the mojo to get this done, Puig helps us out nicely since we only have 2 real OFrs. 

10 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s almost over.  The most interesting thing to me is that 30 MLB franchises pay teams and teams of people to analyze stats all day long.  They look at stats from directions and contexts we as fans could ONLY HOPE to understand one day.  

And yet, nobody has signed him.  

And yet, fans, the people with less than 1% of the knowledge front offices have, think Puig is a good idea because of stats.  As if the front offices don’t have access to dumb shit like fangraphs, stat cast blah blah you name it.  Somehow the 30 professional baseball teams are the ones making a mistake...because of internet stats.  

blows my mind.   

Assuming all teams know 100% more than a very educated member of the baseball public is also assuming the Colorado Rockies ceased to exist. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is such a dumbass typical Colorado Rockies move... they have all the young talent, all spots covered, yet they'll happily sign a mediocre veteran to block their rookies....

Wish the Sox had the mojo to get this done, Puig helps us out nicely since we only have 2 real OFrs. 

We're watching different Rockies teams.

That first sentence applies WAY more to the White Sox

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I just don't feel comfortable handing Mazara a spot. Texas isn't dumb, if he was gonna be a good one possibly, they would have asked for more than Steele. That would be like us trading 2018 Moncada for Steele. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I just don't feel comfortable handing Mazara a spot. Texas isn't dumb, if he was gonna be a good one possibly, they would have asked for more than Steele. That would be like us trading 2018 Moncada for Steele. 

It's literally nothing like that.

Also, teams lose trades and give up on players too early ALL the time. I never understood the concept that if they want to give him up, hes no good. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I 100% don't trust Nomar M. I hated the move when it was made and still hate it today. We had so much ability to go after Nick C, Y. Puig, M. Ozuna (super cheap deal), or make a trade, yet we are OK with a lousy below average Nomar Mazaraa. The one major move of the offseason that I've hated, otherwise I feel pretty good with how the W'Sox handled it.

The reason why I've hated the move is not because of what we gave up... it's because the White Sox feel 100% fine with handing him the starting RF and foregoing the other options. Imagine getting Ozuna on his current contract.. that woulda been awesome.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

We're watching different Rockies teams.

The Rockie are regularly known for blocking their youngsters. They might be the single worst team in the majors at young player development. The white Sox on the other hand give their prospects long term contracts to get them up to the league as fast as possible. Puig to the Rockies means Hilliard/Hampson/McMahon/Tapia all have more issues getting playing time. 

Yea I don't see the Rangers as some amazing scouting org that perfectly ordained Mazara is forever a 1 WAR player.  Not that Chicago is some great scouting org either but a change of scenery often does folks good, in any line of work.  It's not a bad move by Chicago.  Not one I probably would have made but I can see the thinking behind it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's literally nothing like that.

Also, teams lose trades and give up on players too early ALL the time. I never understood the concept that if they want to give him up, hes no good. 

IF Mazara has high potential in our eyes, it's strange that his previous team settled for a weak return. Moncada was in the same boat at the end of 2018, and we'd all be pissed if we traded him for a Steele Walker. I know teams lose trades, but we are talking top prospect in baseball type players here at the age of 24. This doesn't mean Mazara can't prove to be good, but it is a valid reason for fans to not support the move, especially when he is just handed a job. If this were last year, I'd be okay with him being handed a job. This year is different and we are trying to compete, so no room for 5th year projects being handed jobs. 

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea I don't see the Rangers as some amazing scouting org that perfectly ordained Mazara is forever a 1 WAR player.  Not that Chicago is some great scouting org either but a change of scenery often does folks good, in any line of work.  It's not a bad move by Chicago.  Not one I probably would have made but I can see the thinking behind it.

The trade is questionable because we are in a possible playoff contending year and handed him a job with no competition. If we sign Puig and let the guys battle it out, I'd be fine with that. Competition makes players better as well and if Mazara wins out, he is the man for the job. 

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Moncada didn't have 3 bad years under his belt.

27 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He has two years of control left.  Even if he had a monster 2020 in Texas, they aren't getting much for an impending FA.  Walker is a interesting enough prospect, their OF is loaded, and they have a ton of LH bats.  It made plenty of sense for Texas to make the move.

FWIW - I am 100% down to roll the dice on Mazara.  The dude is going to rake RHP.  Out of the 8 spot.  We could do so much worse.  Just let it play out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

IF Mazara has high potential in our eyes, it's strange that his previous team settled for a weak return. Moncada was in the same boat at the end of 2018, and we'd all be pissed if we traded him for a Steele Walker. I know teams lose trades, but we are talking top prospect in baseball type players here at the age of 24. This doesn't mean Mazara can't prove to be good, but it is a valid reason for fans to not support the move, especially when he is just handed a job. If this were last year, I'd be okay with him being handed a job. This year is different and we are trying to compete, so no room for 5th year projects being handed jobs. 

Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball coming off one full season in the big leagues. 

Mazara was a top 20ish prospect coming off 4 seasons of big league play. 

The scenarios are nothing alike. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

NBC Sports did as well.

They are one in the same.  If Puig’s decision is truly between the Sox and Rockies, it will probably be the Rockies.

Fathom’s guess of the Mariners still makes the most sense with Haniger out after two offseason surgeries.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball coming off one full season in the big leagues. 

Mazara was a top 20ish prospect coming off 4 seasons of big league play. 

The scenarios are nothing alike. 

We'd be pissed had we traded Tim after 2018 for Steele Walker. Point still stands, Mazara has underperformed and has been underwhelming for 4 years. He shouldn't be handed a job based on potential. At this point in his career, he needs to earn it. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to KW says "no Puig"