KW says "no Puig"

Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He has two years of control left.  Even if he had a monster 2020 in Texas, they aren't getting much for an impending FA.  Walker is a interesting enough prospect, their OF is loaded, and they have a ton of LH bats.  It made plenty of sense for Texas to make the move.

FWIW - I am 100% down to roll the dice on Mazara.  The dude is going to rake RHP.  Out of the 8 spot.  We could do so much worse.  Just let it play out.  

I actually think Mazara will be solid for us. That doesn't mean to me that we should operate like a rebuilding team if in fact we are trying to contend. If their is a right fielder who can hit lefties solidly, or is better than him, it should be a strong consideration. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I actually think Mazara will be solid for us. That doesn't mean to me that we should operate like a rebuilding team if in fact we are trying to contend. If their is a right fielder who can hit lefties solidly, or is better than him, it should be a strong consideration. 

The guy is already on the roster, his name is Leury.  Its a perfectly suitable platoon.  Mazara is going to hit like 30 bombs this year.  He hasn't been healthy for 2 seasons.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We'd be pissed had we traded Tim after 2018 for Steele Walker. Point still stands, Mazara has underperformed and has been underwhelming for 4 years. He shouldn't be handed a job based on potential. At this point in his career, he needs to earn it. 

Tim Anderson was extended in ST 2017 and is controlled through 2024.  Mazara is controlled for 2 more seasons.  None of your comps make a lick of sense.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There are two OFs on the roster who can hit Lefties pretty well, Garcia and Engel.   And they both play a better defensive OF than Puig can dream of. 

• Like 2

Multiple outlets report that the reports of the Rockies being frontrunners for Yasiel Puig are incorrect.

Nick Groke of The Athletic reports that a source tells him that there's "nothing to" the reports Friday morning from Hector Gomez of Z 101 that suggested that the Rockies were among the frontrunners to sign Puig. It's disappointing from a fantasy perspective -- think of what Puig's power could do playing in Coors Field -- but on paper, it's not exactly a perfect fit. Gomez also mentioned the White Sox, and they appear to be the best candidate at this point to sign the 29-year-old free agent.

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Multiple outlets report that the reports of the Rockies being frontrunners for Yasiel Puig are incorrect.

Nick Groke of The Athletic reports that a source tells him that there's "nothing to" the reports Friday morning from Hector Gomez of Z 101 that suggested that the Rockies were among the frontrunners to sign Puig. It's disappointing from a fantasy perspective -- think of what Puig's power could do playing in Coors Field -- but on paper, it's not exactly a perfect fit. Gomez also mentioned the White Sox, and they appear to be the best candidate at this point to sign the 29-year-old free agent.

Nice find. I wonder if he ends up here.

He definitely must be thought of as a cancer around the MLB.  For a guy who is pretty close to the player that Marcell Ozuna is, no one seems to be interested in him.  Ozuna had a compensation draft pick attached to him and still got $18 million for one year.

That said, I’d still sign him if he came very cheaply at around $8 to $10 million for one year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He definitely must be thought of as a cancer around the MLB.  For a guy who is pretty close to the player that Marcell Ozuna is, no one seems to be interested in him.  Ozuna had a compensation draft pick attached to him and still got $18 million for one year.

That said, I’d still sign him if he came very cheaply at around $8 to $10 million for one year.

You're talking about Puig right? He's probably gonna get somewhere in the $1-3 million range at this point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tim Anderson was extended in ST 2017 and is controlled through 2024.  Mazara is controlled for 2 more seasons.  None of your comps make a lick of sense.  

Keep jumping around the main point. If Tim only had 2 years left after 2018 like Mazara, we'd still be upset if the return were Steele Walker. The main point which is being ignored by the run around is that Mazara has not earned the right to be given a job after 4 years of 0 8 WAR. Moncada and Timmy were brought up because it shows how far Mazara has fallen in terms of potential, being traded for a Steele Walker. Even after Timmy was meh his first 3 years or so we wouldn't trade him for Steele Walker. Which again, means Mazara probably shouldn't be handed a job even if he does work out. 

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Again, if Eloy or Mazara gets hurt for a significant amount of time and assuming no other injuries to the rest of the position players, who takes their spot on the roster? Just go sign Puig.

I understand that line of thinking and it might make sense, but.......is Puig really a decent fi?  There are a lot of people who have trashed Mazara, but at worst, he is a good platoon player. He has a career .800 OPS vs. RHP in his age 20-24 seasons. As bad as they want to make him, even if he is what he is, he is a very useful platoon guy, and with the new 3 batter rule, managers are going to have an easier time keeping him from facing  LHP if necessary. Puig hasn’t hit righties all that well the last 3 years. I think they could find someone in a trade if necessary if a major player goes down for significant time. It wont piss me off if they sign Puig, but he really hasn’t been much in a few years, and thinking he will accept being a part timer and not disrupt anything especially if he is riding a lot of pine I think is a reach. If there was a clear path to 150 starts for the guy and he could only blame himself if it didn’t happen,  I would be all for bringing him in.

• Heads22 changed the title to KW says "no Puig"