KW says "no Puig"

Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wonder what Puig said in the meeting to apparently scare the Sox away.  Abreu’s comments are a bit surprising.

I was always under the impression Abreu wasn't a Puig fan. He has said all the nice things, but even when Puig was with the Dodgers and they were in spring training in the same complex he spent zero time with him, and it isn't like these guys don't have any free time in AZ 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was always under the impression Abreu wasn't a Puig fan. He has said all the nice things, but even when Puig was with the Dodgers and they were in spring training in the same complex he spent zero time with him, and it isn't like these guys don't have any free time in AZ 

I've read somewhere they had a rift that dated back to the Cuba days.  Can't remember where I ready it.  Glad the rumor is put to rest.

• Heads22 changed the title to KW says "no Puig"
5 hours ago, mqr said:

Puig and Mazara are similar enough that I’m glad they picked the guy who very much seems to be a good ass dude

I don't agree that they're "similar enough," in all honesty. I actually wanted Puig and a LH corner OF/DH, rather than Encarnacion.

Mazara would have been a good pairing with Puig and Jimenez, IMO. Or Tsutsugo. Just to have another DH option that isn't solely a DH or 1B. 

[EDIT] I also don't like having BOTH corner OFers being below average defenders, forcing a larger role onto a AAAA type like Engel; I think Leury is adequate in a reserve role for CF and IF, but doesn't provide enough offense for a corner OFer.

Let's hope that they've made the right choice.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Just now, Dick Allen said:

They both played for Cienfuegos but Puig may have been spoiled by success. Part of me wanted to wrap up Puig and Brock and just go Tim Anderson on everybody. Jose knew better. 

20 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

We’re big fans but he’s not a fit is probably as diplomatic as KW can be.

Translation:

(1) Puig isn't old enough yet.

(2) Mazara is our 2020 Ellis Burke catch lightening in a bottle project.

(3) Y'all asking too much from an owner who's mission is to keep the base perineally thirsty.  

I swear if the Sox and Bulls ever get taken over by affluent, dynamic ownership,  it'll be among the most  joyous events of my life.

Edited by GradMc