Jump to content
Jack Parkman

KW says "no Puig"

Recommended Posts

I sure hope so.

I want some attitude and flair on this team.

Puig can absorbed some pressure. He's played for a winning organization.

Edited by GradMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not saying I want him....but nobody wanted AJ either and that worked great in '05.

AJ was good though.  Puig really isn't.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We got flair.

 

Image result for jennifer aniston flair

More office space references plz

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

More office space references plz

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You know who had Flair?  The Nazis.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, almagest said:

I don't get this board's obsession with veteran players that aren't good.

One could make a valid argument that Puig is better than our current starting right fielder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Well yeah, we're a mid market team with no fans. Why should they care? Anyway, back to Puig kind of sucking...

Not sure why you keep saying this.

We are the CHICAGO White Sox.  Not the Indianapolis White Sox, not the Des Moines White Sox.  CHICAGO.

Just because the collective record of the team over several decades (read: very little winning) has led to the under-development of a fan base, doesn’t negate the team’s large market existence. 

Sustainable winning such as this franchise has never experienced fixes that problem.  The base will grow just like it did for the Bulls and Blackhawks after their respective successful runs.  

Unless you are claiming the Sox can never maximize a large market revenue stream either in ticket sales, merchandise sales, TV/radio fees, or corporate sponsor fees - no matter how successful the team becomes - then this “mid market” BS is just that - BS.  
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Timmy+Puig=kings of swag. 

TA has swag.  Puig is just an ass.  There’s a difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens when Puig takes Viagra?   

He stands up straighter and gets taller. 

The guy is total dick. We do not want this cancer in our clubhouse. Have you read the stuff his Dodger teammates say about him?  The guy is not swag, he's a cancer. 

And let's say we sign him for just one year?  What then becomes his agenda?  Is it winning?  No, that become secondary, at best, to his getting himself on Sports Center, building his value, and signing a big multi-year contract after next year. And for a guy with a well-documented history of selfishness, we do not want this in our clubhouse. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

One could make a valid argument that Puig is better than our current starting right fielder.

One could also make a valid argument that Puig could do much more damage to our club than our current right fielder could ever do, even if that current right fielder fell apart completely. One could also make a valid argument that our current right fielder has a much greater upside without any of the potentials downsides. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

AJ was good though.  Puig really isn't.  

AJ accumulated 9 fWAR over ~560 games before the Sox signed him. He was fresh off a 0.5 fWAR season with the Giants the year before and had well documented issues with players in his one season there.

Puig has accumulated 18 fWAR over 861 games and was at 1.2 last season.

Not sure how you can say one was “good” while the other is not. At similar points in their career, Puig has been more productive than AJ.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

What happens when Puig takes Viagra?   

He stands up straighter and gets taller. 

The guy is total dick. We do not want this cancer in our clubhouse. Have you read the stuff his Dodger teammates say about him?  The guy is not swag, he's a cancer. 

And let's say we sign him for just one year?  What then becomes his agenda?  Is it winning?  No, that become secondary, at best, to his getting himself on Sports Center, building his value, and signing a big multi-year contract after next year. And for a guy with a well-documented history of selfishness, we do not want this in our clubhouse. 

I’d rather watch Mazara struggle for 500+ ABs then accept whatever minimal value we’ll get from Puig. 

Why not let Mazara succeed or fail on his own, without distractions and the inconsistent ABs that would come with signing Puig? 

Does anyone really believe he will accept being a backup OF for an entire season? Once Mazara struggles for a prolonged period, Ricky will eventually side with the seasoned veteran. Just like Ozzie, you don’t give your manager tools that will be misused. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the posters getting the vapors over "Puig is a dick," "Puig is a cancer," etc...

How about a link proving your point? (And something from the past ~6-12 months, not from 6 years ago.)

 

Not saying that he hasn't had his issues, but in a league and a game that has allowed racists, wife beaters, steroid cheats, alleged child abusers, and video sign stealers, exactly how is Puig anywhere near as bad as they are or were?

 

This whole thing is overblown, in all honesty.  He's not a great player, but he's more likely to produce 2 or more fWAR than Mazara or Encarnacion in 2020. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

For all the posters getting the vapors over "Puig is a dick," "Puig is a cancer," etc...

How about a link proving your point? (And something from the past ~6-12 months, not from 6 years ago.)

Puig was fired by his own agent back in 2018. Do you know how hard that is? Other notable players fired by their agents: Johnny Manziel (2x) and Antonio Brown. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

For all the posters getting the vapors over "Puig is a dick," "Puig is a cancer," etc...

How about a link proving your point? (And something from the past ~6-12 months, not from 6 years ago.)

 

Not saying that he hasn't had his issues, but in a league and a game that has allowed racists, wife beaters, steroid cheats, alleged child abusers, and video sign stealers, exactly how is Puig anywhere near as bad as they are or were?

 

This whole thing is overblown, in all honesty.  He's not a great player, but he's more likely to produce 2 or more fWAR than Mazara or Encarnacion in 2020. 

Encarnacion has been over 2 fWAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons.  Meanwhile, Puig has been above 2 fWAR in just 1 of the last 5.  No idea why you brought Edwin into this when he has actually been a damn good 1B / DH for an 8 year stretch while Puig has been below average for a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Encarnacion has been over 2 fWAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons.  Meanwhile, Puig has been above 2 fWAR in just 1 of the last 5.  No idea why you brought Edwin into this when he has actually been a damn good 1B / DH for an 8 year stretch while Puig has been below average for a while now.

EE is also ancient. You don't expect Nelson Cruz like seasons out of 39 year old sluggers. If you do, you're a fool. 

Puig is insurance for:

EE sucking 

Mazara sucking 

Eloy getting injured attempting to play LF, which is bound to happen a few times. 

 

It shouldn't surprise anyone if over a full season, EE puts up 2012 Adam Dunn numbers in the traditional stats. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Puig was fired by his own agent back in 2018. Do you know how hard that is? Other notable players fired by their agents: Johnny Manziel (2x) and Antonio Brown. 

And exactly how was any of that worse than credibly-accused child sex assailants, wife beaters, steroid cheats, or video sign stealers?

(I also note that you had to go back 2 years to gin up a story about Puig, and not within the past 6-12 months, as I'd stipulated. )

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

EE is also ancient. You don't expect Nelson Cruz like seasons out of 39 year old sluggers. If you do, you're a fool. 

Puig is insurance for:

EE sucking 

Mazara sucking 

Eloy getting injured attempting to play LF, which is bound to happen a few times. 

If you want an insurance policy for those things happening go sign Maybin.  We do not the circus that is Puig.
 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Encarnacion has been over 2 fWAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons.  Meanwhile, Puig has been above 2 fWAR in just 1 of the last 5.  No idea why you brought Edwin into this when he has actually been a damn good 1B / DH for an 8 year stretch while Puig has been below average for a while now.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.  Especially for a 37 year old DH.

Also, prorate Puig's injury shortened seasons, and he's well above 2fWAR in those seasons.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want an insurance policy for those things happening go sign Maybin.  We do not the circus that is Puig.
 

 

 

 

They only want him if they can launch him easily if he acts like a dick. He's cheap enough that it shouldn't matter. If he's going to be an asshat, they just tell him to go away, and he goes to Japan next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×