Official 2020 XFL Thread

Chisoxfn

I watched the D.C vs Seattle game and it was pretty good.  I was curious about some of the different stuff they were doing.  I kinda like the kick off, I would want to see more it, but it's interesting.  I didn't like the after TD stuff, the different point system.  It just seems like too much.  I'm not even a big fan of extra point in the NFL.  I feel like a TD is doing something good and I feel you shouldn't have to do extra things afterward. 

I wish all the games were on Sunday to give it a familiar feel.  I think you have to pick a team and start rooting for them otherwise the games don't have strong meaning to them.

I hated the player and coach interviews on the sidelines.  It comes off as gimmick.

14 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Any player who really stands out is gone after this year.  So I think it will be hard to stockpile a lot of really talented players.

I assume it's going to be treated as a minor league. Talent drain could really hurt them unless players know they have a shot at the NFL from the XFL, then that might help if they don't want to sit on a practice squad for a year or play Arena football/in the CFL. I think the XFL is going to need to get really creative with recruiting some under the radar players from small schools or develop a reputation as a great place to learn how to transition to the NFL, otherwise they'll just fail in a year or two again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

I assume it's going to be treated as a minor league. Talent drain could really hurt them unless players know they have a shot at the NFL from the XFL, then that might help if they don't want to sit on a practice squad for a year or play Arena football/in the CFL. I think the XFL is going to need to get really creative with recruiting some under the radar players from small schools or develop a reputation as a great place to learn how to transition to the NFL, otherwise they'll just fail in a year or two again.

Yeah if they can pay higher wages than NFL practice squads and show there is a pipeline from the XFL to the NFL they might get some undrafted players come to the XFL.

I just think players are going to go to practice squads.  You are with the team and they get to watch you practice every day and lot's of practice players get called up because they know the playbook. 

15 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Yeah if they can pay higher wages than NFL practice squads and show there is a pipeline from the XFL to the NFL they might get some undrafted players come to the XFL.

I just think players are going to go to practice squads.  You are with the team and they get to watch you practice every day and lot's of practice players get called up because they know the playbook. 

Probably. I really don't see it being successful otherwise unless they figure out a way to pull players from the NFL and that's not happening.

4 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

I watched the D.C vs Seattle game and it was pretty good.  I was curious about some of the different stuff they were doing.  I kinda like the kick off, I would want to see more it, but it's interesting.  I didn't like the after TD stuff, the different point system.  It just seems like too much.  I'm not even a big fan of extra point in the NFL.  I feel like a TD is doing something good and I feel you shouldn't have to do extra things afterward. 

I wish all the games were on Sunday to give it a familiar feel.  I think you have to pick a team and start rooting for them otherwise the games don't have strong meaning to them.

I hated the player and coach interviews on the sidelines.  It comes off as gimmick.

I enjoyed the enhanced media coverage. Was nice hearing more instant reaction from players, referees (including the mic'd up voice of the referee who was doing the actual review), as well as more audio from the OC's, etc.  It might have been a bit gimmicky at times, but if done right, I could see all of those things showing up in more NFL broadcasts as a way to enhance the viewer experience.  

In general, I enjoyed the little bit of action I watched across a variety of the games. Whether I keep up with it or not will be hard to say, but they are broadcasting at the right time as there is a total lull in sports right now (especially for people like me who don't follow hockey and more so since my NBA team sucks).  

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Quality of play is awful. It's like watching the Bengals and Redskins play every game. 

I thought I saw some pretty nice plays, but also there was quite a bit of rust.  But I chalk part of that up to the fact that there weren't a lot of practices/real training camps so guys are still figuring things out.  

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

There was one guy they were talking about who was playing in XFL but was going to be draft eligible, which I thought was interesting. A safety out of West Virginia or something.  

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I agree, except even worse. It was like watching a bad college football game, like Illinois vs Virginia Tech or something

One big problem was the disparity in QB talent.  Cardale Jones looked good and McGloin looked decent but then you have a guy like Aaron Murray who didn’t look like he belonged on a football field at any level.

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I enjoyed the enhanced media coverage. Was nice hearing more instant reaction from players, referees (including the mic'd up voice of the referee who was doing the actual review), as well as more audio from the OC's, etc.  It might have been a bit gimmicky at times, but if done right, I could see all of those things showing up in more NFL broadcasts as a way to enhance the viewer experience.  

In general, I enjoyed the little bit of action I watched across a variety of the games. Whether I keep up with it or not will be hard to say, but they are broadcasting at the right time as there is a total lull in sports right now (especially for people like me who don't follow hockey and more so since my NBA team sucks).  

This what it is for me.  It's kind of a dead time in sports until baseball starts.  Even with the NHL and NBA, they are kind of in the middle of the season and not quite the playoff push time, so it can kinda be a lull there. 

It fills that void of football.  I think they should change the rules to make the game high scoring.  Not crazy, but games should be 42-35, not 16-13.  I'm watching that first game, not the second.

Apparently they only had 1 practice with contact before the game so I would expect a lot of rust the first couple weeks.

Regarding how to upgrade or keep talent, I could see JUCO guys or younger players with academic issues trying to come to the XFL to get paid while also trying to get drafted, this is if it stays around for a few years.

I also really like the $100,000 incentive the team gets for winning, I know it isn't a ton but for a lot of these guys that extra money means a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man...McMahon ruined it. I thought XFL was even better this time around.  Loved some of the new concepts they introduced (I will admit I didn't watch near enough after first couple weeks...but that was more due to my busy schedule than not enjoying the games).