Mlb might be changing playoff format

Whisox05

4 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

- Teams with best records would pick their opponents. (via @Joelsherman1) Thoughts?🤔 https://t.co/DhjvrgEb9D

Absolutely NOT. Teams with better advanced Scouting/Analytics would have a huge matchup advantage.

This is a ridiculous idea. Seed them based on record and the and top seed plays the worst seed left. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

More playoff teams is fine, but picking your opponent is dumb. Top seed plays lowest seed and this continues on down. Having a bye for 3 games is also dumb for baseball, as that much rest may hurt the top seeds. They can just do a few play in games in each league and then the series start after that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Absolutely NOT. Teams with better advanced Scouting/Analytics would have a huge matchup advantage.

This is a ridiculous idea. Seed them based on record and the and top seed plays the worst seed left. Simple as that. 

This is a great idea.  Best idea from MLB since the WBC.  The last expansion was a  half measure that gave us the silly 1 game playoff.  

Here's what I'd do: best 14 teams make it by record, regardless of league.  Top two teams pick their 1st round matchup.   How much fun would that be?  A lot imo.

• Like 1

I kind of loathe the NBA style "everyone gets in" mentality. It really dilutes the regular season importance. 

I know I sound like a crabby old person but I think the butter zone was 4 per league for me. 3 division winners a 1 wild card. I see why they expanded but it should still mean something to get in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can't have a 6 month season and let 14 teams in. It's rendered completely pointless. 

I don't hate on Manfred and most of MLB as much as most people, and generally encourage them be thinking outside the box, but this idea SUCKS

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, demonbluess said:

I kind of loathe the NBA style "everyone gets in" mentality. It really dilutes the regular season importance. 

I know I sound like a crabby old person but I think the butter zone was 4 per league for me. 3 division winners a 1 wild card. I see why they expanded but it should still mean something to get in. 

At least with hoops, the difference between the 1-seed and the 8-seed is large enough that the 8 rarely wins. 

Just now, Tony said:

I’m actually OK with picking teams as the top seed. Could really amp up rivalries and make for better storylines. 

I also agree that if you are letting that many teams in the playoffs, you have to shorten the season. 

Right...can you imagine how demoralizing it would be if the 103-win yankees specifically picked the 101 win twins instead of some wildcard (granted, since astros would have picked first the yanks would have gotten twins anyway but hypothetically!)

It would be a lot of fun.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m actually OK with picking teams as the top seed. Could really amp up rivalries and make for better storylines. 

I also agree that if you are letting that many teams in the playoffs, you have to shorten the season. 

I agree with both these points. I'll double down that I love the idea of top seed picking who they want to play.  Adds to the entire story, especially when a team picks someone who they think matches up better with them vs. the team with the worst record.  That said, I know they won't reduce the # of games...so as a whole, I very much like everything MLB is proposing.  

Plus top team getting a bye and getting choice of its competitor helps create extra value / incentive to be the top dog.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Right...can you imagine how demoralizing it would be if the 103-win yankees specifically picked the 101 win twins instead of some wildcard (granted, since astros would have picked first the yanks would have gotten twins anyway but hypothetically!)

It would be a lot of fun.

This parts fine. I just can't get past letting 47% of the teams in playoffs in a sport where the 2019 White Sox are able to beat the 2019 Astros in a 7 game series. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

This parts fine. I just can't get past letting 47% of the teams in playoffs in a sport where the 2019 White Sox are able to beat the 2019 Astros in a 7 game series. 

Yeah, if it shortened the regular season though that'd be great. It's a slog in september.

AL

1. Astros
  2. Yankees
  3. Twins
  4. Athletics
  5. Rays
  6. Indians
  7. Redsox

NL

1. Dodgers
  2. Braves
  3. Nationals
  4. Cardinals
  5. Brewers
  6. Mets
  7. Diamondbacks

There's the standings of the top 7 teams in each league...

So The Yankees play the Redsox best 2 of 3, Twins vs Indians, and Rays play the Athletics

The Braves play the Diamondbacks, Nationals the Mets, and Cards play the Brewers. 

Those would be some awesome divisional fights for a 2 out of 3 series IMO.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Best 2 out of three could benefit a team that has only 1 or 2 starting pitchers and nothing else.  Would mix up the playoffs, it would also add more teams going for it around the trade deadline...More teams would be fighting for the available players.  I think it could be something to try.  If it doesn't work out just go back.  Interleague succeeded for a while, Wild card has been a success, DH is a giant mixed bag, Allstar game matters was a mistake.  You don't know until you try it...I'm for at least trying it, see how it goes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Not sure what isn't being understood here. 

The part where the 2019 White Sox could beat the 2019 Astros in a 7 game series. We wouldn't win any matchups against them. Lineup, rotation, bullpen, manager, cheating, etc. The Twins beat us by 28 games, the Yankees swept them, and then lost to Houston. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The part where the 2019 White Sox could beat the 2019 Astros in a 7 game series. We wouldn't win any matchups against them. Lineup, rotation, bullpen, manager, cheating, etc. The Twins beat us by 28 games, the Yankees swept them, and then lost to Houston. 

The White Sox quite literally won 4 out of 7 games against the Astros in 2019. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

The White Sox quite literally won 4 out of 7 games against the Astros in 2019. 

You said that the 2019 Sox could beat the 2019 Astros in a seven game series. That is not the same as beating a team 4 out of 7 during the regular season. Teams prepare much differently for a post season series. 

• Like 2

I am guessing the owners will not agree to a shorter regular season since there will be lost ticket revenue for the 16 who don't make it. My question would be how late does it push the World Series back. Last year it ended on 10/30. Some cities are getting cold in early November. Chicago 's high on 10/31/19 was 38. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

I am guessing the owners will not agree to a shorter regular season since there will be lost ticket revenue for the 16 who don't make it. My question would be how late does it push the World Series back. Last year it ended on 10/30. Some cities are getting cold in early November. Chicago 's high on 10/31/19 was 38. 

I wonder if they agree to some sort of playoff revenue sharing among all teams if they would go for it. Because you're right they wont decrease the number of regular season games unless there is some financial incentive.