Mlb might be changing playoff format

Whisox05

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you really want to do more teams in the playoffs, blow it all up and start over. 

There are already rumblings by 2022, the DH will be in the NL. If that’s the case, go to a Eastern/Western layout, Top 7 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

I would def do expansion and the DH at the same time.  It's long past time to use the DH in the NL.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

We’re headed to 32 teams, 2 East Divisions of 8, 1 Central Division of 8, and 1 West Division of 8. 
The Sox and Cubs will play at least 13 games every year, and baseball will become worse. I fucking hate Manfred.

Good lord.  I can't stand Manfred but dragging the sport into a modern format by getting rid of the AL/NL schism and expanding the playoffs is a worthy goal.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Good lord.  I can't stand Manfred but dragging the sport into a modern format by getting rid of the AL/NL schism and expanding the playoffs is a worthy goal.

If anything go back to the earlier model of only AL and NL, no central or anything else and the top 7 from each play for the WS.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

If anything go back to the earlier model of only AL and NL, no central or anything else and the top 7 from each play for the WS.

Exactly. If 32 teams is inevitable, then it should be 16 teams in each league, top 6 make the postseason. 1 and 2 get a bye, 3 hosts 6 , 4 hosts 5 in a best-of-3. Worst seed remaining plays the 1 seed. 

What are the 2 expansion cities?  Montreal/Charlotte for east?  Vegas/Portland for west?  Memphis/Nashville as a central?  What other cities can provide a MLB team?  The examples given are the supposed cities that are sought after for an expansion team.  Who goes to NL who goes to AL, how are the divisions grouped, are there divisions at all?  It is fun to speculate, but how realistic and likely is this all to happen?  I'll hang up and take my answer off the air...

1 minute ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

What are the 2 expansion cities?  Montreal/Charlotte for east?  Vegas/Portland for west?  Memphis/Nashville as a central?  What other cities can provide a MLB team?  The examples given are the supposed cities that are sought after for an expansion team.  Who goes to NL who goes to AL, how are the divisions grouped, are there divisions at all?  It is fun to speculate, but how realistic and likely is this all to happen?  I'll hang up and take my answer off the air...

I think once the TB and Oakland situations clear up, they’ll have a better idea of where they want to place teams. My prediction is Las Vegas and Montréal will have teams by the end of the 20s. If not relocation, expansion.

They need to be eliminating playoff teams.  The MLB regular season is a league of attrition.  It's so damn long that to expand the playoffs would diminish an already diminished product. 

Go back to AL/NL East/West.

Forget the wild cards, divisions, inter league play.

Best four teams in.  The best four teams over the course of a long grueling summer.  Not whoever got hot in September. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, black jack said:

They need to be eliminating playoff teams.  The MLB regular season is a league of attrition.  It's so damn long that to expand the playoffs would diminish an already diminished product. 

Go back to AL/NL East/West.

Forget the wild cards, divisions, inter league play.

Best four teams in.  The best four teams over the course of a long grueling summer.  Not whoever got hot in September. 

I appreciate the sentiment, but they aren’t going backwards with the amount of playoff teams, nor should they. To me, the difference between the third and sixth best teams in each league usually isn’t that great. I could be on board for 6 in each league. 7? No way. There could be teams under .500 making the playoffs, and that would be embarrassing for MLB. 

Edited by flavum

14 minutes ago, flavum said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but they aren’t going backwards with the amount of playoff teams, nor should they. To me, the difference between the third and sixth best teams in each league usually isn’t that great. I could be on board for 6 in each league. 7? No way. There could be teams under .500 making the playoffs, and that would be embarrassing for MLB. 

Had to go back, but 2017 had 3 teams vying for that 7th spot in the AL at 80-82...so you're right, that could happen.

I absolutely hate the two Wild Card format, so I'm open to tweaks.  But top seeds picking their opponent seems completely silly.  Play out the season, battle it out down the stretch, and let records decide the seeds.  No need to create faux drama to attract the disinterested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

You said that the 2019 Sox could beat the 2019 Astros in a seven game series. That is not the same as beating a team 4 out of 7 during the regular season. Teams prepare much differently for a post season series. 

He said could, and that is feasible, albeit ALL of us would agree unlikely. Other sports don’t have that issue as the gap between great and good is bigger, and therefore can afford to have bigger play-offs