Mlb might be changing playoff format

Whisox05

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How much value does the regular season have when 1/2 the teams aren't competing?  This fetishization of having the 10 or so teams competing for a playoff spot fattening up on clubs that will lose 90+ games doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

So you're a team that wins 100 games.  Some other team in the AL wins 101, so you get the two seed.  You now have to beat the 7 seed that went 83-79 and has two stud SP in a three game series.  Anything can happen in a 3 game series.  That 100 win team shouldn't have to play that 83 win team in a 3 game, loser goes home, series.  And if that two seed is lucky enough to advance, you are now guaranteed to play the better of the two teams remaining, or perhaps even get to play the #1 seed if they own you. Its fucking stupid. 

This idea sucks donkey balls.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you're a team that wins 100 games.  Some other team in the AL wins 101, so you get the two seed.  You now have to beat the 7 seed that went 83-79 and has two stud SP in a three game series.  Anything can happen in a 3 game series.  That 100 win team shouldn't have to play that 83 win team in a 3 game, loser goes home, series.  And if that two seed is lucky enough to advance, you are now guaranteed to play the better of the two teams remaining, or perhaps even get to play the #1 seed if they own you. Its fucking stupid. 

This idea sucks donkey balls.  

The 3 game series plan is dumb I agree.  I'd like to see every playoff series at least 5 games.  We'll see what happens.

41 minutes ago, Quin said:

Or at least more balanced. Right now we just play the Tigers, Royals, Twins, and Indians too damn much. Instead of 19 against each divisional opponent and 7 against the other AL teams, do 16 against the AL Central and 10 against the AL East and AL West.

Agreed. I actually really like a more balanced schedule, and think that change should be made. 

• Play each team in opposite league 4 times (2 home, 2 away). 60 games.
  • Play each team in your division 13 times (7 home, 6 away; alternating seasons). 52 games.
  • Play each time in other intra-league divisions 5 times (3 home, 2 away; alternating seasons). 50 games. 

That, or something similar, would be so much better, and is also good for the sport and the fans for all teams to play each season.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The 3 game series plan is dumb I agree.  I'd like to see every playoff series at least 5 games.  We'll see what happens.

Best of 3 to start is at least better than the one and done. Personally, I wouldn’t mind if they went just best-of-5 in the two middle series, and make the World Series the only best-of-7. I think for a lot of fringe fans, the long series in the LCS, they lose interest early on, and they just don’t watch.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

All playoff baseball series should be 7 games.  Eliminate some of the offdays during the playoffs.  These guys play 6.5 games a week during the season.  No reason for so much off time during the playoffs - that is part of the grind of baseball.   

You also can't do this proposed format and make the first round 5 games.  The teams that get the #1 seed and a bye then sit around for 10 days.  It doesn't work.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed. I actually really like a more balanced schedule, and think that change should be made. 

• Play each team in opposite league 4 times (2 home, 2 away). 60 games.
  • Play each team in your division 13 times (7 home, 6 away; alternating seasons). 52 games.
  • Play each time in other intra-league divisions 5 times (3 home, 2 away; alternating seasons). 50 games. 

That, or something similar, would be so much better, and is also good for the sport and the fans for all teams to play each season.

There’s no way they’re traveling that much to play 2-game series.

Just now, flavum said:

There’s no way they’re traveling that much to play 2-game series.

I don't really think it changes that much.  MLB could just be smarter about roadtrips to cities closer to one another than they have been in recent seasons.  But I guess you could do 4 game series and rotate home and away each year.  That would be fine, but I personally prefer the 2 game series at each location and different times of the year.   

Agree to disagree, but nobody in baseball- owners or players- would ever want to play that many 2-game series. In the late 90s, they had a year or two when they played a bunch of 2-gamers and that ended quickly. Agree, road trips should make more sense to help travel concerns, but most series need to remain 3 or 4 games...maybe 5 if they start building in day/night dh to shorten the season by a week or two.

Just now, flavum said:

Agree to disagree, but nobody in baseball- owners or players- would ever want to play that many 2-game series. In the late 90s, they had a year or two when they played a bunch of 2-gamers and that ended quickly. Agree, road trips should make more sense to help travel concerns, but most series need to remain 3 or 4 games...maybe 5 if they start building in day/night dh to shorten the season by a week or two.

I don't have the info handy, but it seems to me purely off recollection we've seen a decent amount of two games series the last couple seasons, no?  Certainly more than we've seen from 2000-2015 range.   

• Like 1

Trying to form my opinion on the playoff chatter, both sides have strong points.

The idea to add more teams would increase revenue and help stop the massive tanking that is going on through 60% or so of the league. 

However, adding more teams absolutely dilutes the regular season and doesn't feel right to me. 

Still not sure what side of the fence I'm on, but I tend to be more on the don't change it side. I'd hate the idea of making the regular 162 game season feel more trivial. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't have the info handy, but it seems to me purely off recollection we've seen a decent amount of two games series the last couple seasons, no?  Certainly more than we've seen from 2000-2015 range.   

They have played maybe 6, mostly with the interleague series, but increasing that to 30 two-game series? Not happening.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Trying to form my opinion on the playoff chatter, both sides have strong points.

The idea to add more teams would increase revenue and help stop the massive tanking that is going on through 60% or so of the league. 

However, adding more teams absolutely dilutes the regular season and doesn't feel right to me. 

Still not sure what side of the fence I'm on, but I tend to be more on the don't change it side. I'd hate the idea of making the regular 162 game season feel more trivial. 

How does it really stop tanking though?  Teams like the Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Marlins, and Pirates still aren't competing even if 14 teams make the playoffs.  I don't really see how it changes anything.  Maybe a few more of the .500ish teams hold onto expiring assets as you head into July in hopes of grabbing one of the last playoff spots, but in reality, this change would do nothing to stop tanking, and would greatly diminish the importance of regular season for all but the #1 seeds.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

All playoff baseball series should be 7 games.  Eliminate some of the offdays during the playoffs.  These guys play 6.5 games a week during the season.  No reason for so much off time during the playoffs - that is part of the grind of baseball.   

You also can't do this proposed format and make the first round 5 games.  The teams that get the #1 seed and a bye then sit around for 10 days.  It doesn't work.  

I agree with this. I always think its such a misrepresentation when playoffs roll around. In the regular season you have to survive on SP depth and your 4/5 guys are very integral part of winning 100 games. But then you get to the playoffs and theres so many off days that teams just basically play their top 3 SP. Thats how you end up with the Nationals winning it all ... not saying they weren't deserving ... but that's the recipe right now. Get yourself a 3 headed monster and you can win the WS.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How does it really stop tanking though?  Teams like the Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Marlins, and Pirates still aren't competing even if 14 teams make the playoffs.  I don't really see how it changes anything.  Maybe a few more of the .500ish teams hold onto expiring assets as you head into July in hopes of grabbing one of the last playoff spots, but in reality, this change would do nothing to stop tanking, and would greatly diminish the importance of regular season for all but the #1 seeds.   

I'd have to take a long thought process here - but I think what you said is true. It definitely doesn't stop the TOTAL tanks. However there may be less total tanks with the playoff rules.  I think of teams like the Pirates .... or maybe even the Old Sox. Think of the years with Sale and Quintana, etc. All of a sudden some of those years we make the playoffs & couldve easily won a 3 game series. All of a sudden the next year you may be adding more shitty veterans like LaRoche, etc. instead of tearing down. Always retooling, signing FA, etc. rather than tanking. 

I think I'd liken it almost to the NHL the most .... you'd have basically 20 teams with a shot of winning the Cup. However out of those 20 ... maybe 10 really have a shot.  and then really, really only 5 or so teams that are locks. 

For instance this year it would allow us as Sox fans to really get excited. Because I think its viable we are a top 7 team in the AL (Yanks, Astros, Rays, A's, Twins, Cleveland, Sox, Rangers, Angels, BoSox ... mayyyybe Toronto -- in that order too) All of a sudden you're seeing a team like the Sox, Blue Jays, etc maybe making one more signing this offsesaon. Betts isn't getting traded and BoSox make another effort this year.  It really benefits the small market teams the most - which maybe is what the MLB is trying to accomplish. The problem is it hurts the top teams. There will be so many times that a 98 win team just loses in the first round and that would be maddening. Meanwhile a year like this -- the Sox could conceivably make it a few rounds. In a 3 game series you could throw out any combination of pitching. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly what BrianAnderson said. It won't *stop* tanking, but the problem with tanking is the middle-level teams deciding to tank and not compete, not the bottom feeders. Bottom feeders need to tank and not much will stop them from doing so unless you attack the incentives to be the biggest loser, which is a dangerous game. 

But the middle level teams that often sell off their assets will now have more hope. 

I’d love a 9-11 game World Series.  I want that thing to be a grind.

it would be cool because maybe each city gets to host the World Series for a week.  Like a circus and like the Super Bowl.   Play 5 straight somewhere Mon-Fri, then go to the other city for 6 straight Tues-Sunday.  

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’d love a 9-11 game World Series.  I want that thing to be a grind.

it would be cool because maybe each city gets to host the World Series for a week.  Like a circus and like the Super Bowl.   Play 5 straight somewhere Mon-Fri, then go to the other city for 6 straight Tues-Sunday.  

The White Sox are the last team to win Game 7 of the World Series and lose the series (1919). That’s probably staying that way.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Why do they feel the need to make it 7 teams? Why not just go with what the NFL has and give the top 2 teams byes and 4 teams play in the Wild Card round? 

Because they feel like the difference between the 6th and 7th best team isn’t going to be that much, so give it to both and make a TV show out of the first round opponents. It really is making the regular season more boring and making the playoffs less special. It’s really awful. If I see a 79-83 team popping champagne and wearing playoff shirts and hats, I’ll puke. It’s bad enough now as it is.

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Why do they feel the need to make it 7 teams? Why not just go with what the NFL has and give the top 2 teams byes and 4 teams play in the Wild Card round? 

I'm cool with them adding another wild card team in each league. Do 2 Wild Card games and the 2 teams with the best record in the league get to face the winner of each of those games. It expands the post-season a bit without going too overboard. And this works even better when the league goes from 30 to 32 teams. Go back to 2 divisions in each league and then you would have the first place team in each league as the "best record" teams and then the top 4 teams after that get to do a one-game playoff. Or make it a best of 3 series.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, flavum said:

I would make Opening Day the first Monday in April every year. And Game 7 of the World Series would be the third Wednesday in October. Season over by October 21 at the latest. That would mean either shortening the season to 150-156, or playing built-in doubleheader’s with more roster rules. 

That would be perfect. But as I stated, there is no way the owners will play less games unless they all get a cut of the playoff pie.  Doubleheaders are not popular w the players union and the owners only want them if they get day/night separate admissions. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

That would be perfect. But as I stated, there is no way the owners will play less games unless they all get a cut of the playoff pie.  Doubleheaders are not popular w the players union and the owners only want them if they get day/night separate admissions. 

Here’s what they could do now before realignment someday:

162 games in 175 days. No doubleheaders.
No divisions

Play the 4 teams from your current division 11 games (4 series each, 44 games/16 series total)

Play the other 10 teams in your league 10 or 11 games (3 or 4 series each, 106 games/32 series total)

Play 4 interleague series because you have to, 3 games each (12 games total)

52 series in 25 weeks. Three weeks of three series 2-2-3. 

One mandatory off day for every player against each team in your league, so it would put an emphasis on roster depth. Every player would max out at 148 games played. Every player would have 27 off days (13 team off days plus 14 individual off days) in 175 days. They currently have 24 off days in 186 days.

Top 2 teams in each league get a bye. 
3 plays 6; 4 plays 5 in a best-of-3 in three days. Worst seed remaining plays 1; the other plays 2. After that, it’s the same as now. Game 7 of the World Series is 31 days after game 162. 
Opening Day no earlier than March 30, no later than April 5th

Game 7 of the World Series October 21 to 27.