Mlb might be changing playoff format

Whisox05

21 minutes ago, skooch said:

Next up is a home run derby to settle games that go more than 10 innings. Hey, it works for the NHL.

That would be hilarious. I think it would be fun in the MiLB instead of extra innings to save on young pitchers arms.

I want it nowhere near the MLB though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I was very opposed to this at the start but the more I thought about it the more I started to come around on it. Teams will feel more pressure to go for it rather than tank year in and year out (detroit, pitt). Its better for the fans for those middling teams. 

No, it’s bad. The regular season will become even more meaningless. Making the postseason will become less special- way less special. And it’s bad for the players if all that teams do is play for the middle, and then when they come up short, they can sell it to the fans that they tried. I’m hopeful that the MLBPA will realize this is a bad deal for players, and it will bite the dust. The sweet spot for Baseball, is what they have now- 10 out of 30 teams. When they go to 32, 12 playoff teams is fine. But 14 out of 30? It’s actually awful to think about.

18 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I was very opposed to this at the start but the more I thought about it the more I started to come around on it. Teams will feel more pressure to go for it rather than tank year in and year out (detroit, pitt). Its better for the fans for those middling teams. 

This just isn't true; tanking has gotten significantly worse since the implementation of the Wild Card - not the opposite.

Let's use the Brewers as an example. They were a playoff team back to back years, and then just cut payroll this year instead of going for it again - it's not like they're running high payrolls to begin with either. The Brewers would be even more compelled to cut payroll if there was an additional team in the playoffs - or an additional two. Teams could skirt by on mediocre payrolls without having to go all-in, because winning 83 games might be enough.

Baseball is a game of attrition. The regular season matters because it's hard to get into the playoffs. The 162 game grind is fine. By changing that, you hurt the game.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

No, it’s bad. The regular season will become even more meaningless. Making the postseason will become less special- way less special. And it’s bad for the players if all that teams do is play for the middle, and then when they come up short, they can sell it to the fans that they tried. I’m hopeful that the MLBPA will realize this is a bad deal for players, and it will bite the dust. The sweet spot for Baseball, is what they have now- 10 out of 30 teams. When they go to 32, 12 playoff teams is fine. But 14 out of 30? It’s actually awful to think about.

I am fine with 12, I don't think it would diminish the importance of the regular season. Home field advantage is still important and worth playing for. Thinking owners will just settle for the middle is better than what we have now where owners settle for the bottom.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Brewers would be even more compelled to cut payroll if there was an additional team in the playoffs - or an additional two. Teams could skirt by on mediocre payrolls without having to go all-in, because winning 83 games might be enough.

Thats a good example, what would be your solution to a team like the Brewers then?

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

I am fine with 12, I don't think it would diminish the importance of the regular season. Home field advantage is still important and worth playing for. Thinking owners will just settle for the middle is better than what we have now where owners settle for the bottom.

There needs to be more creativity when it comes to not incentivizing losing. That’s where the new CBA comes into play. My thought is that they need draft rules where teams can’t have a 1-1 more than once a decade, and teams can’t have a top 3 pick in consecutive years...or something like that. But just handing out playoff spots is terrible. I could live with 12 like I outlined in my previous post, but 14 out 30 is so bad.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, flavum said:

The top teams get homefield in that first round, which is a pretty solid advantage (imo). Add in domino of teams being able to pick matchups and I think it is really exciting. I will say a 150 game season sounds better...but I can't have my cake and eat it two in this scenario.  In total...this is a big improvement, imo.  

MLB doesn't have a serious problem; this is always an overreaction. Youth has been "abandoning baseball" since I was 5 year old 27 years ago. Younger generations don't play baseball quite as much in the US as they once did because there are so many options; the game globally has never been bigger. That talent pool has never been bigger.

As that younger generation gets older they'll start to enjoy baseball a bit more as has happened for generation after generation. 

Manfred is a moron and he's honestly the biggest threat to baseball as it stands today. Allowing teams to not try while still potentially making the playoffs would be dreadful for the game. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the proposal.  The Athletic has a article looking at the last several years.  What I don't like is in a few years, sub .500 teams got into the playoffs.  I don't like that.  My simple solution would be that you have to be .500 to be in.  If there are sub .500 qualifiers, in that particular year, I would give a additional bye  to the #2 seed.  

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

I don't mind the proposal.  The Athletic has a article looking at the last several years.  What I don't like is in a few years, sub .500 teams got into the playoffs.  I don't like that.  My simple solution would be that you have to be .500 to be in.  If there are sub .500 qualifiers, in that particular year, I would give a additional bye  to the #2 seed.  

I’ve proposed the same in the past. Under.500 teams cannot qualify for postseason baseball. Period.