FS: Insider Piece on White Sox Actions in International Market

Y2Jimmy0

The White Sox are signing Norge Vera and would like to sign Oscar Colas. They have agreements in place with 6 other players as well though and I wrote about all of it for Patreon subscribers! http://futuresox.com/2020/02/11/report-white-sox-active-in-international-market-leading-up-to-2020-period/

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 1

A primer on the new rules for folks like me that are confused:

As per the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement, clubs are each subject to a spending cap for amateur international free agents. Each club will have at least a $4.75 million bonus pool to spend, with those that have a pick in Competitive Balance Round A receiving $5.25 million and those with a pick in Competitive Balance Round B receiving $5.75 million.

Clubs will be able to acquire up to 75 percent of their initial international bonus pool money in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 signing periods and up to 60 percent of their initial pools in subsequent signing periods. This means that a club with an initial pool of $5.75 million can increase its pool total via trade to approximately $10.1 million during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 signing periods. The 2017-21 CBA also allows international funds to be traded more freely, as teams must now simply trade international money in increments of $250,000, unless they have less than $250,000 remaining in their pool. Under the 2012-16 CBA, teams were assigned four tradeable "slots" with different values designated for each slot. The money was able to be traded only in those increments.

Each year's international signing period begins July 2 and continues through June 15 of the following year. Under the CBA, international amateurs are defined as follows:

• Player resides outside of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico and has not been enrolled in high school in any of those locations within the past calendar year.
• Player is at least 16 years of age or will turn 16 years of age prior to Sept. 1 of the current signing period.

Any player meeting that criteria becomes eligible to sign a Minor League contract with a Major League organization for a signing bonus that fits within said team's allotted pool. Players that sign for a total bonus of $10,000 or less do not count against a team's allotted bonus pool.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox are signing Norge Vera and would like to sign Oscar Colas. They have agreements in place with 6 other players as well though and I wrote about all of it for Patreon subscribers! http://futuresox.com/2020/02/11/report-white-sox-active-in-international-market-leading-up-to-2020-period/

Great work!

• Like 2

• Rankin unpinned this topic
55 minutes ago, Quin said:

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  If they're interested in those two. I wonder if that means cola's isn't happening.   Either way they need to trade for more international money I'm assuming. 

9 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  If they're interested in those two. I wonder if that means cola's isn't happening.   Either way they need to trade for more international money I'm assuming. 

It's better to look at it from the angle that the Sox are casting a wide net. If they miss on Colas, go for Cespedes.

Dyan Yamel Jorge seems to be a contact & speed oriented SS. Apparently he was running between 5.9 and 6.1 in the 60 yard during his showcase. To put that number in perspective, our draftee James Beard (who was compared to Billy Hamilton) was the fastest player in last year's draft and he ran a 6.2 60 yard. CJ Abrams is listed as an 80 runner on pipeline and he ran a 6.29 60 yard. Dyan was the starting SS for Cuba in the 2018 u15 World Cup.

Check the video in that link. He is wearing a Sox shirt and the scout on the right seems to be wearing a Sox shirt too.

I did see another video where he wasn't wearing any Sox stuff, so that showcase in the video above was probably just at our DR facility.

https://u15bwc.wbsc.org/en/2018/player/22171

Stats from the World Cup. He had a pretty good day against the USA.

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Dyan Yamel Jorge seems to be a contact & speed oriented SS. Apparently he was running between 5.9 and 6.1 in the 60 yard during his showcase. To put that number in perspective, our draftee James Beard (who was compared to Billy Hamilton) was the fastest player in last year's draft and he ran a 6.2 60 yard. CJ Abrams is listed as an 80 runner on pipeline and he ran a 6.29 60 yard. Dyan was the starting SS for Cuba in the 2018 u15 World Cup.

Check the video in that link. He is wearing a Sox shirt and the scout on the right seems to be wearing a Sox shirt too.

I did see another video where he wasn't wearing any Sox stuff, so that showcase in the video above was probably just at our DR facility.

https://u15bwc.wbsc.org/en/2018/player/22171

Stats from the World Cup. He had a pretty good day against the USA.

Based on no other information in terms of skill or requisite space needed to sign prospects, Sox need to trade for cap space so they can get this kid and Colas, load up on Cubans and have just nightmarish speed on the paths 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sox80 said:

How much do you know about the two?  

I'm intrigued by Dyan Yamel because of his age. That'd be a nice get. Jesse Sanchez put him at #15 overall in the 2019 class. I would guess he gets between $2-$3 million. I don't have much interest in Cespedes. 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm intrigued by Dyan Yamel because of his age. That'd be a nice get. Jesse Sanchez put him at #15 overall in the 2019 class. I would guess he gets between $2-$3 million. I don't have much interest in Cespedes. 

So getting both yamel and cola's is probably not possible?

2 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

So getting both yamel and cola's is probably not possible?

I would think so but I'm not really sure. Colas is a weird situation. He's not cleared to sign and he's still technically under contract with his Japanese club. Yamel can sign immediately. The Sox don't have money in this period. Jesse Sanchez linked the Sox to Yamel yesterday. I was told by a pretty plugged in Cuban reporter that the Sox don't have the bonus amount that Yamel is asking for. That seems weird too though because the Sox have over $3 million for next period. I wouldn't think he gets $3 million personally. We shall see I guess. At least they're active. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would think so but I'm not really sure. Colas is a weird situation. He's not cleared to sign and he's still technically under contract with his Japanese club. Yamel can sign immediately. The Sox don't have money in this period. Jesse Sanchez linked the Sox to Yamel yesterday. I was told by a pretty plugged in Cuban reporter that the Sox don't have the bonus amount that Yamel is asking for. That seems weird too though because the Sox have over $3 million for next period. I wouldn't think he gets $3 million personally. We shall see I guess. At least they're active. 

Thanks Jimmy much appreciated.  Love futuresox by the way.  Money well spent. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Based on no other information in terms of skill or requisite space needed to sign prospects, Sox need to trade for cap space so they can get this kid and Colas, load up on Cubans and have just nightmarish speed on the paths 

We should trade for the max cap space in this period and go after Pedro Leon and try to steal him from the Astros. Colas looks good and Dyan seems interesting, but Leon is going to be a star and likely sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So, Colas could very well be a 2021 situation?