Sox were interested in Kipnis?

Moan4Yoan

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/jason-kipnis-cubs-deal

“Kipnis -- who was also in contact with the White Sox and A's this offseason -- will have an opportunity to compete for the Cubs' opening at second base, or at least to be a part of a timeshare.”

Not big news at all but it may indicate that Hahn is still looking for a veteran backup infielder on a cheap deal.  Here are the leftovers:

Brian Dozier

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Brad Miller (signed a 1-year MLB deal with Cardinals on 2/12)

Ben Zobrist (likely retiring, per Jon Heyman on 2/12)

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Nobody wants to come play 2B for the Sox knowing that a top 20 MLB prospect is penciled in for 500 PA after April is up.  Furthermore, they aren't going to add anybody to the 40 man wily nily from this point until hopefully sometime around 2026.

For those two reasons you're unlikely to see anybody brought in but a minor league invite.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nobody wants to come play 2B for the Sox knowing that a top 20 MLB prospect is penciled in for 500 PA after April is up.  Furthermore, they aren't going to add anybody to the 40 man wily nily from this point until hopefully sometime around 2026.

For those two reasons you're unlikely to see anybody brought in but a minor league invite.

And Hahn did say in an interview at Soxfest (I think?) That it is a 2 way street. I think they have kicked the tires on some of these guys. But They're just not interested knowing Madrigal is about ready.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

And Hahn did say in an interview at Soxfest (I think?) That it is a 2 way street. I think they have kicked the tires on some of these guys. But They're just not interested knowing Madrigal is about ready.

He said it again today on Chuck’s podcast (must listen).  I still think Holt is an amazing fit though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Yup,  he acknowledged that at Sox Fest in his usual roundabout way.  Maybe Gordon Beckham will be a camp invite.  Honestly it might sell a few tickets.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Already signed with the Padres.

lol so he traded Tacoma for El Paso as far as AAA scenery.  Personally I would have stuck with Tacoma.  

edit: looks like he had a stop in Detroit/Erie after the Mariners.  Man, dude is just hanging on to that MLB dream isn't he?  Probably could have made a couple extra million just going to Japan the last few years.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

52 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well, Holt and Miller are sort of accustomed to part-time roles. That's what Dozier had last year as well. I get what you're saying and I doubt we add any of these guys. But... these guys need work, they're not everyday players (meaning Holt/Miller/Dozier - Gennett could be) and they aren't exactly in a position to hand pick a destination. If the White Sox came with a decent offer - good chance they would take it. IMO

24 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who's the best option, Brad Miller? Since he can play SS and 3B?

Looks like Holt has played SS but who knows how well. Leury covered there for a stretch of time and we know how that looked.

I think Holt first but then probably Miller due to his defensive versatility.  Miller looks like he can hit a bit with some pop as well.  I wouldn’t be upset with either guy and they are definitely the most “utility” of the guys in the list.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Miller wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. A lefty bat off the bench with pop that can play 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF and RF. I think people forget he hit 30 bombs back in 2016.

Yeah I like the power potential off the bench personally.

Any way they could grab Miller and Holt? Start Holt at 2B until Madrigal is ready and then go with a bench of McCann, Holt, Miller, Garcia (primary back up CF and hope he doesn't have to play over a long stretch of time if Robert gets hurt and platoon with Mazara)? 

Two way street thing makes sense. Some of these guys are probably holding out hope that they can play a bigger role. Madrigal is just too solid of a prospect - he's not going to be the guy who comes up and then is sent down to work on things. He's going to be brought up and hit above .280 immediately and provide defense. 

That's why any person we'd bring in needs to be able to bounce around the diamond. I've said it 100 times like a broken record but Scooter would be my guy. Maybe he's not great in some of the other positions but going back to just 2017 he has played 2b, 3b, LF, RF, DH. probably doesnt grade out great at those spots, but he did well enough that the Reds started him 10 games in the OF, 15 games overall, and spent 10 games at 3B. To me, that's your guy. He can take 25 games in the OF for us, the first 30 games at 2B, 15 games at 3B, 10 at DH, and then 10 games at 2B as a backup ...  That's nearly 100 games. Not sure if that's enough playing time from his perspective, but I'd take it. 

46 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Two way street thing makes sense. Some of these guys are probably holding out hope that they can play a bigger role. Madrigal is just too solid of a prospect - he's not going to be the guy who comes up and then is sent down to work on things. He's going to be brought up and hit above .280 immediately and provide defense. 

That's why any person we'd bring in needs to be able to bounce around the diamond. I've said it 100 times like a broken record but Scooter would be my guy. Maybe he's not great in some of the other positions but going back to just 2017 he has played 2b, 3b, LF, RF, DH. probably doesnt grade out great at those spots, but he did well enough that the Reds started him 10 games in the OF, 15 games overall, and spent 10 games at 3B. To me, that's your guy. He can take 25 games in the OF for us, the first 30 games at 2B, 15 games at 3B, 10 at DH, and then 10 games at 2B as a backup ...  That's nearly 100 games. Not sure if that's enough playing time from his perspective, but I'd take it. 

I would imagine Gennett is still holding out for a starting job somewhere. And it's worth mentioning he hasn't been tossed into the OF since 2017 so not sure that's a viable option.

I think anyone they add for the bench will be someone who can play SS.

Edited by soxfan2014

20 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/jason-kipnis-cubs-deal

“Kipnis -- who was also in contact with the White Sox and A's this offseason -- will have an opportunity to compete for the Cubs' opening at second base, or at least to be a part of a timeshare.”

Not big news at all but it may indicate that Hahn is still looking for a veteran backup infielder on a cheap deal.  Here are the leftovers:

Brian Dozier

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Brad Miller

Ben Zobrist

Not that I wanted him, but Zobrist isn't planning on playing this year and probably done with his career.

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Madrigal is just too solid of a prospect - he's not going to be the guy who comes up and then is sent down to work on things. He's going to be brought up and hit above .280 immediately and provide defense. 

I'm not sure that is such a given considering Madrigal can barely get the ball out of the infield with the wooden bat. I could definitely see him getting eaten up by major league pitching and needing a few years of struggle before becoming an effective major league hitter. Maybe he adjusts immediately but I could just as easily see a sub .650 ops season coming up