White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

saw Eloy at soxfest. Didn't look fat. He likely won't be ripped, but he wasn't fat.

He may have been wearing a k-vest, may have made him stand up taller and push his stomach out. I don't know if any of you have worn shirts like that, not flattering to light

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

That other picture must have just been a bad angle.  He looks like his usual size in the upper-right picture.  He’s basically built like Jermaine Dye in his later years.  He will likely always be tough to watch in LF but he will hit 40+ bombs.  Hopefully, he can avoid the nagging injuries from here on out.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agree on the bullpen and I think they will find the starting pitching eventually. Just not as high on the lineup

They have an awful lot of really, really, really bad money in that lineup. They need Tatis to be like a perennial 6-7 win player to have a chance. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

What an insane take based on that picture lol. 

Eloy has a narrow upper body and shoulders, wide hips, and a belly.  He is not exactly the ideal athletic outfielder.  He is big, slow, and lumbering.  How is that an insane take?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

They have an awful lot of really, really, really bad money in that lineup. They need Tatis to be like a perennial 6-7 win player to have a chance. 

They have some really bad money in there, but Machado certainly can be an elite player worth his money, and they have a large load of talent comparable to ours arriving at various points over the next year or two. If they cannot make a move in the NL West within the next 2 years, that's an abject failure of player development. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They have some really bad money in there, but Machado certainly can be an elite player worth his money, and they have a large load of talent comparable to ours arriving at various points over the next year or two. If they cannot make a move in the NL West within the next 2 years, that's an abject failure of player development. 

I have a hard time believing the Padres are going to catch up with the Dodgers within two years. Especially not with paying 60 mil to negative win players. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mqr said:

Right, and unlike Moncada's, all the batted ball/expected stat metrics suggest that he's going to get worse, not better 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I have a hard time believing the Padres are going to catch up with the Dodgers within two years. Especially not with paying 60 mil to negative win players. 

I don't know how these guys will end up doing, but their pitching staff is loaded with recent top 50 prospects. They're one of the highest ranked systems still even with Tatis having graduated. Pitching development and injury is a crapshoot as we've seen, but the players are there.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don't know how these guys will end up doing, but their pitching staff is loaded with recent top 50 prospects. They're one of the highest ranked systems still even with Tatis having graduated. Pitching development and injury is a crapshoot as we've seen, but the players are there.

Gore looks filthy. Him and Paddack may be a killer 1-2. But yeah, injuries could derail it easily. I think they are in pretty good shape but made some poor moves.

48 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be fair, there are a lot of bodybuilders on this site.

Bodybuilding is an entirely different training philosophy than baseball training. a little knowledge can be a dangerous sometimes.

If you would have told me two years ago, that the White Sox would be projected to be .9 fWAR shy of the Cubs in two years, I would have called you crazy. I love that the Harper and Machado teams come in just behind the Sox as well. 

White Sox 39.9 83.56
Padres 39.6 83.26
Phillies 38.4 82.06
Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm just glad it's not Leury. Hopefully it's Anderson/Moncada in that order as Moncada has made it clear that he doesn't want to bat first

Moncada is the only guy that really makes sense as a lead off guy from a numbers perspective, but you're right, he doesn't seem comfortable with it. So I'm content with putting the batting champ there to start. 

Have a feeling I'll be saying this a lot, but as long as Mazara and Garcia aren't batting in the top of the order on a regular basis I could not give less of a shit what the lineup looks like. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Moncada is the only guy that really makes sense as a lead off guy from a numbers perspective, but you're right, he doesn't seem comfortable with it. So I'm content with putting the batting champ there to start. 

Have a feeling I'll be saying this a lot, but as long as Mazara and Garcia aren't batting in the top of the order on a regular basis I could not give less of a shit what the lineup looks like. 

Agreed. My only annoyance will likely be that I want Eloy getting more PAs and Abreu getting (relatively) fewer, so when Abreu is inevitably 3rd and Eloy is 5th/6th, I'll be mildly disturbed. But it won't matter if Abreu's struggles vs RHP become less prominent

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. My only annoyance will likely be that I want Eloy getting more PAs and Abreu getting (relatively) fewer, so when Abreu is inevitably 3rd and Eloy is 5th/6th, I'll be mildly disturbed. But it won't matter if Abreu's struggles vs RHP become less prominent

4th and 5th are more valuable lineup spots than 3rd. 

That said, I tend to side with you in the analysis... I like my best guys getting the most AB's, but analytics do show that Eloy hitting 4th and Abreu 3rd would generate more runs than the opposite. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

4th and 5th are more valuable lineup spots than 3rd. 

It's not the value I'm worried about, it's the amount of plate appearances over the course of a season. Eloy missed out on developmental time last year and it would be nice to get an extra 40-50 PAs (depending on which source you're using) this season by batting him 3rd. He is also likely a better offensive player than Abreu going forward

Edit- And if Eloy is 4th, I won't care, but I'm more convinced that will be EE or Grandal

Edited by Jose Abreu