White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's not the value I'm worried about, it's the amount of plate appearances over the course of a season. Eloy missed out on developmental time last year and it would be nice to get an extra 40-50 PAs (depending on which source you're using) this season by batting him 3rd. He is also likely a better offensive player than Abreu going forward

Edit- And if Eloy is 4th, I won't care, but I'm more convinced that will be EE or Grandal

Fairly confident the standard lineup template to start will be

Anderson

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal

EE

Eloy

Mazara

Robert

2B

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Fairly confident the standard lineup template to start will be

Anderson

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal

EE

Eloy

Mazara

Robert

2B

Eloy is going to press the issue, but I think the handedness may lead to Grandal there followed by EE. I'd rather Eloy hit 4th, and I don't think handedness is as important anymore with the 3 batter rule. With Moncada 2nd, and Grandal 5thish, you could bat Eloy 4th and not have to worry about 3 consecutive righties. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eloy is going to press the issue, but I think the handedness may lead to Grandal there followed by EE. I'd rather Eloy hit 4th, and I don't think handedness is as important anymore with the 3 batter rule. With Moncada 2nd, and Grandal 5thish, you could bat Eloy 4th and not have to worry about 3 consecutive righties. 

Yeah, this isn't necessarily what I would do, but this is going to be what it is. 

I'd probably go

EE

Eloy

Grandal 

Abreu 

But again, this is a lineup that sub-optimal lineups are going to have an incredibly marginal effect, at least on paper. If Encarnacion or Abreu or someone is total garbage this would change some. 

Edited by mqr

Don’t like Anderson leading off. Hope by the all star game he’s in the lower third as a real threat most teams don’t have the luxury of and Madrigal or Robert is in the top spot.

It really could be great for Robert to hit first and Madrigal to be second. He’s an ideal guy for that lineup position.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 1

Anderson

Moncada

Grandal

Abreu

EE

Eloy

Robert

Mazara

Madrigal

😍

Once Robert gets acclimated, switch him and Anderson. If Anderson is lighting the world on fire and that is hard to do, you have yourself a very good problem.

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Anderson leading off with Moncada  in the #2 position is how I would play it.

It's fine. Most of the stats around lineup construction say any lineup order with the same players only matters about 1 game for the whole season. I think it's where the players are the most comfortable is what matters the most.

Edited by ptatc

19 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Don’t like Anderson leading off. Hope by the all star game he’s in the lower third as a real threat most teams don’t have the luxury of and Madrigal or Robert is in the top spot.

It really could be great for Robert to hit first and Madrigal to be second. He’s an ideal guy for that lineup position.

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anderson

Moncada

Grandal

Abreu

EE

Eloy

Robert

Mazara

Madrigal

😍

Once Robert gets acclimated, switch him and Anderson. If Anderson is lighting the world on fire and that is hard to do, you have yourself a very good problem.

People who want Robert to lead off please explain this to me, and then stop it. 

5 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

People who want Robert to lead off please explain this to me, and then stop it. 

Higher walk rate, faster, more power, has a chance to be one of the most dynamic offensive players in baseball.

Something like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Higher walk rate, faster, more power, has a chance to be one of the most dynamic offensive players in baseball.

Something like that.

Robert is going to have a higher walk rate than Tim Anderson and that's probably about it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

What?  Robert has better tools than Tim Anderson accross the board... Or am I misunderstanding you?

Robert doesn't walk, but he'll walk more than Anderson. Not sure how you gathered that I think TA has better tools lol.

Edit: I see how you could have read that now. When I said that's about it I meant Tim is the only person he'll have a higher walk rate than.

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm just glad it's not Leury. Hopefully it's Anderson/Moncada in that order as Moncada has made it clear that he doesn't want to bat first

Seriously. This is a tremendous development by Ricky. Let it be Anderson then Moncada. Yoyo hates leading off and he's way better in the 2 spot where your best hitter should be anyways. 

I just listened to the new Mazara interview, on the NBC podcast. What a terrific, likeable young man. He was more personable, intelligent and articulate than most of the American ball players, whom I've heard interviewed, especially considering that English is not his native language. I'll be rooting very hard for him and love his potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

There's a ton of power in the lineup.  If your 3-7 is some order of Abreu, EE, Grandal, Eloy, and Robert, that is a shit load of HRs and RBIs.  Hopefully the guys around them, especially the 1-2 guys, get on base a lot.

Yea... I’d place the over/under at 155 for that group. Mercy.