White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

“You don't see enough teams employing the errant pickoff throw offense.  This just might work.” - @Harold's Leg Lift 

This reply was referencing a comment about Madrigal drawing a pickoff throw which led to him getting onto second base... thus avoiding a subsequent double play ball and scoring.

==

You’re sarcasm here is misplaced. There is indeed a mold of a baseball player who can disrupt pitchers comfort, causing them to make errors on throws and to even miss locations for batters at the plate.

Certain players have a threat that is intangible when they are on base.  See Rickey Henderson and time a lesser but still effective example in Scott Podsednic...

Madrigal will be a disruptive player and I don’t think it’s something to scoff at.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hi8is said:

“You don't see enough teams employing the errant pickoff throw offense.  This just might work.” - @Harold's Leg Lift 

This reply was referencing a comment about Madrigal drawing a pickoff throw which led to him getting onto second base... thus avoiding a subsequent double play ball and scoring.

==

You’re sarcasm here is misplaced. There is indeed a mold of a baseball player who can disrupt pitchers comfort, causing them to make errors on throws and to even miss locations for batters at the plate.

Certain players have a threat that is intangible when they are on base.  See Rickey Henderson and time a lesser but still effective example in Scott Podsednic...

Madrigal will be a disruptive player and I don’t think it’s something to scoff at.

Agree to disagree.

34 minutes ago, hi8is said:

==

I actually think the one thing I have been a bit disappointed in Madrigal with has been his base running. He needs to improve there.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually think the one thing I have been a bit disappointed in Madrigal with has been his base running. He needs to improve there.

I've always found it interesting how a defense of Madrigal is "he doesn't need to hit that well, he'll be valuable based on defense and baserunning alone". For someone who receives that comment pretty often, his defense and baserunning (particularly the latter) have not been that impressive. I think the guys who truly have that kind of value on defense and baserunning alone are Robert and Moncada (who had tremendous baserunning value last year despite the low stolen base total). 

• Like 1

@Harold's Leg Lift @Jose Abreu @Look at Ray Ray Run

You have seen enough of Madrigal to have formed an opinion on his base running?

People believe someone with elite bat skills won’t hit?

There is an opinion that certain people on base don’t disrupt pitchers or effect the game?

What in the world is going on here??

10 minutes ago, hi8is said:

There is an opinion that certain people on base don’t disrupt pitchers or effect the game?

Elite contact skills only matter if you can get to enough power to make them matter. I think Madrigal will gain enough power to maximize his contact skills, but people that don't will not give him the max credit for that grade. 

As for your second part, I've seen Madrigal play quite a bit between OSU and his AA-AAA stint last year, and his base running was not the 70 grade that some were slapping on it. It doesn't mean he can't get there - he was, arguably, the best fundamental baseball player I had seen in college - but he needs to show it.

12 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I agree with you...disruption is a real thing.  Madrigal, Anderson, Robert & Moncada  all have this in their arsenal.

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Elite contact skills only matter if you can get to enough power to make them matter. I think Madrigal will gain enough power to maximize his contact skills, but people that don't will not give him the max credit for that grade. 

As for your second part, I've seen Madrigal play quite a bit between OSU and his AA-AAA stint last year, and his base running was not the 70 grade that some were slapping on it. It doesn't mean he can't get there - he was, arguably, the best fundamental baseball player I had seen in college - but he needs to show it.

Well that’s all logical... thanks. I feeling that base running doesn’t have the potential to disrupt pitchers as a another poster had, that’s crazy talk.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’ve always felt he would be traded at some point the moment we protected Mercedes.  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to trade for a bench piece though unless they are young / controllable or we should have just signed one of a half dozen free agents.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve always felt he would be traded at some point the moment we protected Mercedes.  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to trade for a bench piece though unless they are young / controllable or we should have just signed one of a half dozen free agents.

Agree with this.  I hope IF we traded him we grab a RP or just a young prospect 

If we are looking to contend for the playoffs this year, I would prefer to keep McCann.  A solid backup catcher is a valuable thing.  Combine that with my doubt that we will get much back of value imho.  If Grandal would go down to injury, I do not want to rely on the other 3 as our starting catcher for a chunk of the season.  

27 minutes ago, wegner said:

If we are looking to contend for the playoffs this year, I would prefer to keep McCann.  A solid backup catcher is a valuable thing.  Combine that with my doubt that we will get much back of value imho.  If Grandal would go down to injury, I do not want to rely on the other 3 as our starting catcher for a chunk of the season.  

I agree.  Strong behind the plate is a great asset.  They both will be improved for more rest.  It is a really long season what with the beating any catcher absorbs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

I agree he won't bring much back at all.  But I also don't think McCann is some guy we need to keep.  I am fine with either way.