White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

22 hours ago, hi8is said:

@Harold's Leg Lift @Jose Abreu @Look at Ray Ray Run

You have seen enough of Madrigal to have formed an opinion on his base running?

People believe someone with elite bat skills won’t hit?

There is an opinion that certain people on base don’t disrupt pitchers or effect the game?

What in the world is going on here??

You're comparing a 60 baserunner to probably the greatest of all time, that's what's going on here.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, poppysox said:

For what it's worth...This afternoon at lunch a guy at the next table notices my WS jacket an says "you guys are going to be really good this year."  Turns out he was from the Dominican Republic and has played minor league ball in the Toronto organization.   A real nice guy.   He knew many of our young guys  and was absolutely positive we were going to be thrilled with Mazara.  He wasn't very impressed with our signing Encarnatcion but overall he said how good our team would be.  His impression of how good Mazara would be for us was most interesting to me because he had first hand knowledge.  He said that not only is Mazara a good player but also...a really nice person.

If he can increase 

3 hours ago, PantsRowland said:

You're comparing a 60 baserunner to probably the greatest of all time, that's what's going on here.

I brought up Ricky Henderson to illustrate the most historic example showing that base running can be disruptive to pitchers.

Scotty Pods was brought up also as the most recent White Sox example.

Stating Madrigal doesn’t have a chance to disrupt pitchers while also claiming he won’t hit is premature and short sighted.

30 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’d rather keep McCann since he’s a better defensive option than Mercedes and Collins. 

Same.  Unless McCann has requested a trade behind the scenes, I see no reason to move him.  Sox are a better team with him on the roster. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

just to triple iterate that why the hell do you trade a critical backup catcher for a bullpen piece right now?

Yeah. Unless he's requested a trade ... I need to see Yermin, Collins or even Zavala absolutely crushing the ball before I want to move McCann for bullpen help unless we're getting a good reliever + a prospect.

Like, there's just not an urgency at the moment unless we're getting a really good offer from the Astros or Rockies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Are you telling us that you prefer Tapia to McCann?  Not close.  McCann much better.

But Tapia has four years of control left and is young enough to still break out.  That is worth more than one year of McCann at $5.4 million, especially in the limited role he will serve for the Sox in this one season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

McCann is a essentially a rental. Assuming Grandal stays healthy, he will be lucky to get 50 starts. Anyone who says he is essential better predict the White Sox win at least 95 games this year or they are full of it. It is funny to read ome thread where Mercedes  has taken almost a cult status with some, but in another thread if somehow the Sox had to use him as a BACK UP catcher, they were screwed.

if you can get something worthwhile for MCCann, trade him. I wouldn’t give him away. But it wouldn’t surprise me in July if the Sox did just that, and probably ate some money.

• Like 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

McCann is a essentially a rental. Assuming Grandal stays healthy, he will be lucky to get 50 starts. Anyone who says he is essential better predict the White Sox win at least 95 games this year or they are full of it. It is funny to read ome thread where Mercedes  has taken almost a cult status with some, but in another thread if somehow the Sox had to use him as a BACK UP catcher, they were screwed.

if you can get something worthwhile for MCCann, trade him. I wouldn’t give him away. But it wouldn’t surprise me in July if the Sox did just that, and probably ate some money.

Agreed. Don't trade him for scraps but if you get something interesting you do it.  

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree.  McCann is gone after this season, so if he’s really that critical to competing then we are big trouble anyways.  If I can get a useful piece back for him, I’d be all for it.

• Like 1

Trading McCann is a calculated risk.  You are basically hoping that Grandal doesn’t get injured long-term this season.  But it’s a risk I’d be willing to take, especially if McCann can bring back a good long-term piece.  You still have Collins and Yermin and could always acquire a defense-first catcher.

Edited by Moan4Yoan