White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

I just booked a flight for the last weekend of spring training, likely staying near DT Phoenix. 

Do you all have any tips and tricks for viewing spring games, getting autographs, food, other activities, etc.?

My 11 year old is Sox crazed so I want to get the most out of the experience for him. Thanks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

I just booked a flight for the last weekend of spring training, likely staying near DT Phoenix. 

Do you all have any tips and tricks for viewing spring games, getting autographs, food, other activities, etc.?

My 11 year old is Sox crazed so I want to get the most out of the experience for him. Thanks. 

Yes on the 1st page of this thread I gave mine.   Your kid will have a blast.  If you get a chance to go to Salt River Fields at Talking Stick do so.  They have a really cool kids area.  And for the adults they have a great beer selection at reasonable prices.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes on the 1st page of this thread I gave mine.   Your kid will have a blast.  If you get a chance to go to Salt River Fields at Talking Stick do so.  They have a really cool kids area.  And for the adults they have a great beer selection at reasonable prices.

Thanks. Great intel!

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Or read The Cactus League new fiction work for further motivation...

5 hours ago, Pants Rowland said:

Get to Camelback around 9 AM or whenever it opens and cruise the back fields. You can get really up close.

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why is Bailey stepping BACK with his back foot on most swings...

Love hitting mechanics, so my observations from the perspective of those who can't do, teach:

Bailey is not stepping back as he swings. 

He's stepping back as (likely) part timing-device, part effort to reinforce maximum load.

That subtle and minor step back, little more than a weight shift really, occurs when the ball is still in the pitcher's hand. But he's in a neutral "hitter's position" on release. From there, all movement is towards the pitcher.

First time I've seen the big guy in action. Even from this drill, you can see why he's getting some hype -- big, athletic, muscular, but with a lot of fluidity in his movements.

Edited by CyAcosta41
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Love hitting mechanics, so my observations from the perspective of those who can't do, teach:

Bailey is not stepping back as he swings. 

He's stepping back as (likely) part timing-device, part effort to reinforce maximum load.

That subtle and minor step back, little more than a weight shift really, occurs when the ball is still in the pitcher's hand. But he's in a neutral "hitter's position" on release. First time I've seen the big guy in action. Even from this drill, you can see why he's getting some hype -- big, athletic, muscular, but with a lot of fluidity in his movements.

I agree with most of that but I'm not a huge fan timing of mechanisms pre-pitch that are lower body mechanisms.   Moncada's toe tap for instance is similar, and he makes it work, but it can lead to too much movement if not carefully practiced and is consistent day to day.

Agree tho that such fluidity from a huge big teen is promising.  From his writeup on Future Sox last year he absolutely mashed the DSL at 17 so that's promising.  Where is he going to start this year?  AZL than maybe a taste of Great Falls?

Bruce Levine on The Score still doesn’t know anything about regaining service time on Kopech by keeping him in the minors.  He also thinks Kopech may have more value as a closer than a starter.

This guy gets paid to talk about baseball.

Edited by Moan4Yoan