White Sox Spring Training Thread

DirtySox

Just now, Lillian said:

I just listened to the new Mazara interview, on the NBC podcast. What a terrific, likeable young man. He was more personable, intelligent and articulate than most of the American ball players, whom I've heard interviewed, especially considering that English is not his native language. I'll be rooting very hard for him and love his potential.

People here have been overly negative about Mazara. I think there is a plan that can work. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I just listened to the new Mazara interview, on the NBC podcast. What a terrific, likeable young man. He was more personable, intelligent and articulate than most of the American ball players, whom I've heard interviewed, especially considering that English is not his native language. I'll be rooting very hard for him and love his potential.

Good interview. Easy to root for. Even liked his lineup...TA, Moncada, Grandal, Abreu, EE, Eloy, Robert, Mazara, Garcia 

Probably would flip Abreu and Grandal, but it’s a good lineup to start out with and then adjust as it goes on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's not the value I'm worried about, it's the amount of plate appearances over the course of a season. Eloy missed out on developmental time last year and it would be nice to get an extra 40-50 PAs (depending on which source you're using) this season by batting him 3rd. He is also likely a better offensive player than Abreu going forward

Edit- And if Eloy is 4th, I won't care, but I'm more convinced that will be EE or Grandal

Ricky is a total pushover when it comes to veterans. Wouldn't surprise me if Eloy bats sixth behind the aforementioned veterans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Hey, leave the trainer out of it. The poor guy makes next to nothing (comparatively) and always takes care of everyone. You dont have to berate him as the lowliest person around. 

Maybe he was beating the garbage can to give the other guy a break when he wasn’t busy working on players.  Ya never know...  😂

This would never happen, but I would make the line-up.....

1) Grandal - S

2) Robert - R

3) Moncada - S

4) Abreu - R

5) Eloy - R

6) Edwin - R

7) Anderson -R

8.) Mazara - L

9) Mendick/Madrigal - R

I like Robert leading off because of his speed and he lead off most of 2019, but his lack of walks and likelihood of a solo shots either leading off the game or hitting in front of Mendick/Leury for a chunk of the year make me want him to hit 2nd, behind Grandal who is an on-base machine, but if Grandal doesn't get on, Robert still has the chance to use those legs to stretch out extra bases or swipe some bags in front of Moncada with 1 out.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

This would never happen, but I would make the line-up.....

1) Grandal - S

2) Robert - R

3) Moncada - S

4) Abreu - R

5) Eloy - R

6) Edwin - R

7) Anderson -R

8.) Mazara - L

9) Mendick/Madrigal - R

I like Robert leading off because of his speed and he lead off most of 2019, but his lack of walks and likelihood of a solo shots either leading off the game or hitting in front of Mendick/Leury for a chunk of the year make me want him to hit 2nd, behind Grandal who is an on-base machine, but if Grandal doesn't get on, Robert still has the chance to use those legs to stretch out extra bases or swipe some bags in front of Moncada with 1 out.

If Grandal is hitting Lead Off, he won't be the on base machine that he was hitting in the bottom third of a National League lineup.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Tim Anderson hater/doubters will eat crow yet another year. This year, Anderson will be even better than last. Bet on it.

I'd love that. For some reason I can't seem to fully believe in him. I can't tell you why. I like his drive. swagger.. attitude. He obviously has the tools, produced the results ... I can't honestly explain why I can't buy in fully. 

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'd love that. For some reason I can't seem to fully believe in him. I can't tell you why. I like his drive. swagger.. attitude. He obviously has the tools, produced the results ... I can't honestly explain why I can't buy in fully. 

Probably due to a lack of walking and inconsistent defense.  I still love him though.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

40 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Said he was going to be an elite defender this year after all the off-season work; I have learned to not doubt the guy when he puts in the work. 

Oh I truly believe the defense will improve significantly this year, I just wish he’d walk a bit more.

18 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Tim Anderson hater/doubters will eat crow yet another year. This year, Anderson will be even better than last. Bet on it.

It will be tough to top his numbers last year, considering he won the batting title.  He doesn’t walk so his OBP will likely be lower.

I expect his AVG and OBP to be lower but I’ll take more homers and stolen bases.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It will be tough to top his numbers last year, considering he won the batting title.  He doesn’t walk so his OBP will likely be lower.

I expect his AVG and OBP to be lower but I’ll take more homers and stolen bases.

Better glove, more power, 1-2% growth in walk rate, and a 30 point drop in BABIP, and he's still sitting with a similar avg/obp, but his OPS is higher and his fWAR is much higher with a ++ year with the glove.