Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

White Sox Spring Training Thread

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree.  McCann is gone after this season, so if he’s really that critical to competing then we are big trouble anyways.  If I can get a useful piece back for him, I’d be all for it.

agreed

• Like 1

Trading McCann is a calculated risk.  You are basically hoping that Grandal doesn’t get injured long-term this season.  But it’s a risk I’d be willing to take, especially if McCann can bring back a good long-term piece.  You still have Collins and Yermin and could always acquire a defense-first catcher.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I definitely am in the trade McCann camp. I also was one of the few that had no problem with the White Sox signing him last year. 

I also would have had no problem with the White Sox trying to extend him if they didn’t have Grandal. But they have Grandal. Grandal is their Carlton Fisk signing, When the Sox signed Fisk, they had signed Jim Essian as a free agent earlier that offseason to be the starting catcher. He serves a purpose now but a small one, A purpose that can be covered by Collins and or Mercedes at a fraction of the cost, and if neither are good enough to be a back up catcher then you find a cheap one somewhere else No need to spend what they are paying McCann for the role he will have especially with what they already have.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I definitely am in the trade McCann camp. I also was one of the few that had no problem with the White Sox signing him last year. 

I also would have had no problem with the White Sox trying to extend him if they didn’t have Grandal. But they have Grandal. Grandal is their Carlton Fisk signing, When the Sox signed Fisk, they had signed Jim Essian as a free agent earlier that offseason to be the starting catcher. He serves a purpose now but a small one, A purpose that can be covered by Collins and or Mercedes at a fraction of the cost, and if neither are good enough to be a back up catcher then you find a cheap one somewhere else No need to spend what they are paying McCann for the role he will have especially with what they already have.

I agree with you.  McCann has a lot more value to another team that would start him as opposed to the Sox.  And I would be very interested to see what long-term piece the Sox could acquire for him.

Unless we get a really good offer for something we really need in ST, it may be better to wait till the deadline to move McCann, as there are many factors we have to see play out, including how good, bad or average the Sox look, how healthy Grandal is, how much further progress Collins has made as an actual catcher in AAA, and whether catcher demand looks like it may be stronger then than now. 

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Unless we get a really good offer for something we really need in ST, it may be better to wait till the deadline to move McCann, as there are many factors we have to see play out, including how good, bad or average the Sox look, how healthy Grandal is, how much further progress Collins has made as an actual catcher in AAA, and whether catcher demand looks like it may be stronger then than now. 

Unless he reverts to his old shitty self.. In which case he has no value.  IF you wanted to trade him, now may be the only time.

My assumption is the Sox tried trading him, but no other teams would offer anything of value (understandable) and we chose to hang on to him. I imagine this is still the case.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imagine the superstar we'd have combining Madrigal and Mercedes. Nick Mercedes ... sounds like a private eye.

But only if you get the good genes, otherwise you might get Nick's power and mercedes speed:)

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

But only if you get the good genes, otherwise you might get Nick's power and mercedes speed:)

Would the bad genes guy be......Yermin Madrigal?

• Haha 1

Knock on serious wood but the injury situation so far is pretty much ideal.  Nothing serious and the minor stuff Gio and Grandal reported is already pretty much behind them.   That said, someone needs to start fining Robert $1K everytime he slides headfirst in spring.

Gio2 has a sore shoulder and is not ready yet. No alarms he says. 

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Gio2 has a sore shoulder and is not ready yet. No alarms he says. 

I'd think anytime a guy with as many miles as he has reports a "sore shoulder" it rings an alarm bell.  If there's a positive here it's that it might allow some of the youngsters to pitch a few more spring training innings.  The downside is the Sox might be dealing with a 4 man rotation until Kopech comes up.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd think anytime a guy with as many miles as he has reports a "sore shoulder" it rings an alarm bell.  If there's a positive here it's that it might allow some of the youngsters to pitch a few more spring training innings.  The downside is the Sox might be dealing with a 4 man rotation until Kopech comes up.

*Gulps* Dylan Covey

Just now, poppysox said:

Now that's cool.  

IKR?  You're at a fucking Suns game in spring training and your son is in an ELOY JIMENEZ SHIRT and then ELOY JIMENEZ is right there?  I'm not at all an athlete or celeb stan but that would be pretty fucking cool: according to that guy, it was Eloy's buddy, Aristedes Aquino of the Reds who initiated the conversation when he spotted that guy's kid wearing Eloy's jersey!

• Like 1

Is Leury better than Madrigal right now ?   

What would it take to change your opinion?

5 hours ago, tray said:

What would it take to change your opinion?

I think Madrigal is the superior player right now.

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Man what a thrill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tray said:

No.. no he isn't.