FS: Rankings roundtable - writers' high/lows

Rankin

That Rutherford report of added muscle mass is interesting.  His lack of power & walks has always caused me to put him at the bottom of our OF prospect rankings, but he flashed some OBP improvement towards the end of last season (SSS) and with this news of added muscle he suddenly becomes an interesting wild card this spring.

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That Rutherford report of added muscle mass is interesting.  His lack of power & walks has always caused me to put him at the bottom of our OF prospect rankings, but he flashed some OBP improvement towards the end of last season (SSS) and with this news of added muscle he suddenly becomes an interesting wild card this spring.

@Harold's Leg Lift mentioned from that Rutherford's exit velos were high last year so ideally he finds the swing that works for him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

@Harold's Leg Lift mentioned from that Rutherford's exit velos were high last year so ideally he finds the swing that works for him.

Rutherford certainly can hit the ball hard. And I have seen him hit some rockets into the seats in BP. But his swing is just not tuned for much loft.

That plus his marginal abilities in center continue to give me pause. If he can make improvement in either game power or defensive ability around CF, he can be an MLB starting prospect. Until then he looks like a 4th outfielder to me, at ceiling. He still reminds me a lot of Ryan Sweeney.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

He consistently hits the ball hard and is still just 22 yrs old.  He also has plenty of athleticsm to make the neccessary adjustments to his swing.  I'm not saying he's a lock but I'm not close to giving up on this dude.  I think he can be an everyday corner OF.

• Rankin unpinned this topic