OF Prospects - Who will Rebound in 2020?

Chicago White Sox

Which OF prospect will rebound in 2020?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which OF prospect is most likely to rebound in 2020?

• Luis Basabe
    • Micker Adolfo
    • Blake Rutherford
    • Luis Gonzalez
    • None of the Above

43 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Really hoping Adolfo stays healthy and shows he's a legit option for RF. 

That would be the dream.  He has far & away the most upside of the four, but has lost so much development time.  He needs a full season of at-bats to demonstrate continued improvement in his plate discipline.  Plus seeing him in the field would be nice as his arm was plus plus before the TJS and it’s impossible to say where it stand today.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Early reports this spring look positive for Rutherford.  That would be huge because no Sox left-handed hitters ever seem to develop.

I loved the report on Blake at SSHP....while it's only BP it still looks like he had good launch angle and was killing the ball.

Very encouraging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Really hoping Adolfo stays healthy and shows he's a legit option for RF. 

I agree, but I'm not counting on it.  For some reason with some players, once the injury bug bites, it keeps on biting... look at Burger.  It sucks and it's not fair, but that's life.

I follow the minor leagues regularly, and I panic whenever his name isn't in the box score.

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

all four of them

Amen to that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

all four of them

Wish I could have voted for all 4

I'm an optimistic guy but each guy has significant reason to believe in a big '20

Adolfo- Finally healthy, strong offseason
Rutherford- Strong offseason, gained muscle, looks good in early ST
Basabe- Entering the season healthy
Gonzalez- Struggled at the beginning of all new levels throughout his career, has to adjust to BIR

Wild we have all 4 of these lottery tickets behind Mazara who I'm also excited for

Let's Go Sox

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

I'm an optimistic guy but each guy has significant reason to believe in a big '20

Gonzalez- Struggled at the beginning of all new levels throughout his career, has to adjust to BIR

Wild we have all 4 of these lottery tickets behind Mazara who I'm also excited for

Let's Go Sox

Best of luck to Steele Walker as well, good kid

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What tool is missing?  Hit tool?

While unlikely, if Basabe were to get close to his ceiling, he'd absolutely be a 5-tool player. Sin duda, dude.

But the minor leagues are littered with a metric ton of outstanding athletes who max out in AAA (or AAAA) precisely because the promise of getting close to the "hit tool" ceiling never materializes for them. In fairness, it's often said that hitting high-end pitching is the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

Some of my favorite Sox 'spects and young major leaguers over the years were these POTENTIAL 5-tool players because you could dream on what they'd become IF (the elusive "IF") they put it all together. I'm thinking of guys like Buddy Bradford, Johnny ("The Jet") Jeter, Ken Henderson, and, more recently, good old Brian Anderson.

This is undoubtedly the year we see what we have with Basabe. I'm more interested in Basabe (as a potential 5-tool guy) and Adolfo for the extreme upside in power (and that gun of his) than I am in Rutherford or Gonzalez. The latter two could put it all together, but their ceiling is likely journeymen or 4th OF'ers (asterisk goes to Rutherford if the newly added muscle and a possible launch angle change unlocks any power). Nothing wrong with their profiles, but all teams have guys like this. You can find them in virtually any trade. I want to know more about the loud tools of Basabe and Adolfo before I give up on them. And, for both, this is probably the year they have to actually show something.

Good discussion, guys! White Sox baseball 2020 coming up soon! Praise the Lord (of your choice)!

• Like 2

I went with Adolfo. He has the most upside out of all of them IMO and it would be great to see a power bat threat emerge as depth this season to use as trade bait or act as a possible replacement for Mazara in 2021 should he fail to take the next step this season. I think Basabe has 4th OF all over him right now, he just needs to develop the ability to hit right-handed pitching.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:35 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

Let's Go Sox

I agree if there's a "none of the above" there should be an "all of the above" choice too.

This question actually came up on the Sox Machine podcast this week and Jim Callis said he’d go with Micker or Basabe and ultimately chose Adolfo due to the higher ceiling.  Also, his view was that LuGo is just a guy and wasn’t overly high on Rutherford given his complete lack of power (he cited Madrigal having more doubles last year than Blake had total XBHs).