Last week without any baseball

bmags

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd go Madrigal, Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Grandal, Abreu as my top 6

On opening day? I am definitely not putting Robert or Madrigal top 6 until we see a couple months of MLB stats from them. They should be there eventually, but these guys are still rookies, and even super talented rookies usually struggle. Robert is amazing, but if Vlad Jr. and Eloy needed to make adjustments, it seems way too optimistic to assume Robert won't have to as well.

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’ll try since we have a week!

I’d argue the defense for not punishing players is that it would be really hard and exhausting to do.  

As I see it, I think the prosecution has to pick one of two lanes:

Either you bring individual “charges” against those involved or you “blanket charge” everybody.  

The first way sounds impossible.  Investigating each player and their personal involvement?  GMAFB.  Good luck with that investigation taking less than 100 years and actually yielding truth.  Seems to me the prime investigating technique would be: “Hi.  Would any of you like to rat on your teammates?”

The other way of a blanket charge seems crazy because if the punishment is severe it’s completely unfair to those that didn’t partake.  But if it’s severe enough, like permanent banning from baseball, i could definitely see it leading to a bunch of the finger-pointing and ratting mentioned above.  And then who determines who is lying at that point?  Seems like you end up with no proof but suspicions, just like the steroids era.  

so I think the commissioner probably wanted to punish a few people with permanent bans but there was no way of truly identifying who was involved.  Does 1 time deserve a ban?  Does knowing about it but not saying anything deserve less of a ban?   

it’s just too messy.  

stripping them of the title sounds nice but it’s not really a punishment.  Seems like a slap on the wrists and won’t stop what’s coming this year.  

maybe Manfred has done an okay job with this.  

how did I do?

That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent argument....I would still be in favor of getting rid of Manfred

15 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

On opening day? I am definitely not putting Robert or Madrigal top 6 until we see a couple months of MLB stats from them. They should be there eventually, but these guys are still rookies, and even super talented rookies usually struggle. Robert is amazing, but if Vlad Jr. and Eloy needed to make adjustments, it seems way too optimistic to assume Robert won't have to as well.

Agreed.

I think Bobbo and Madgrial will eventually be the 1-2, but not for a while yet.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd go Madrigal, Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Grandal, Abreu as my top 6

And last year's batting champ 7th? I 5hink Robert will hit lower in the lineup for awhile. He's going to struggle early on the swing and miss, low and away.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I’ll try since we have a week!

I’d argue the defense for not punishing players is that it would be really hard and exhausting to do.  

As I see it, I think the prosecution has to pick one of two lanes:

Either you bring individual “charges” against those involved or you “blanket charge” everybody.  

The first way sounds impossible.  Investigating each player and their personal involvement?  GMAFB.  Good luck with that investigation taking less than 100 years and actually yielding truth.  Seems to me the prime investigating technique would be: “Hi.  Would any of you like to rat on your teammates?”

The other way of a blanket charge seems crazy because if the punishment is severe it’s completely unfair to those that didn’t partake.  But if it’s severe enough, like permanent banning from baseball, i could definitely see it leading to a bunch of the finger-pointing and ratting mentioned above.  And then who determines who is lying at that point?  Seems like you end up with no proof but suspicions, just like the steroids era.  

so I think the commissioner probably wanted to punish a few people with permanent bans but there was no way of truly identifying who was involved.  Does 1 time deserve a ban?  Does knowing about it but not saying anything deserve less of a ban?   

it’s just too messy.  

stripping them of the title sounds nice but it’s not really a punishment.  Seems like a slap on the wrists and won’t stop what’s coming this year.  

maybe Manfred has done an okay job with this.  

how did I do?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rob-manfreds-words-say-mlb-cant-be-trusted-to-root-out-sign-stealing-cheating-141308357.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yankees-gardner-seeks-protection-order-183728703.html

Or how many have a Brett Gardner-esque stalker in their lives?

Edited by caulfield12