Cubs 2020

35thstreetswarm

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, they are without Cain and Braun... that offense just isn't the same as the last two seasons.   That said, can field and pen it up with the best of 'em.  Houser looks legit. 

I mean if Yelich is going to continue to suck, then fine I'd buy that. But they are a "good" team the Cubs played which was my point. 

Looks like they're finally going to lose a game to KC.

They pretty much just have to pay 7 games below .500 for the rest of the season to make the playoffs, considering they can destroy KCR, Det and Pittsburgh, who might be the worst franchise in modern baseball history when all is said and done (can't lose 100+ games, of course.)

3 hours ago, almagest said:

We played them poorly but that is not a good team beyond Beiber/Plesac.

they’re a playoff team for sure.

great bullpen one of best in baseball....Lindor and Ramirez two Top 20-25 players, Santana is solid, Hernandez too, Reyes and D.Santana legit threats.

Clevinger is a real difference maker when healthy, C. Carrasco solid as well.  Civale and Plutko awesome so far byt clearly unsustainable for entire rotation to overachieve consistently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

they’re a playoff team for sure.

great bullpen one of best in baseball....Lindor and Ramirez two Top 20-25 players, Santana is solid, Hernandez too, Reyes and D.Santana legit threats.

Clevinger is a real difference maker when healthy, C. Carrasco solid as well.  Civale and Plutko awesome so far byt clearly unsustainable for entire rotation to overachieve consistently.

Lindor has been terrible so far and has the 5th highest batting average on their team hitting .227. Third highest slugging percentage at .387. Only three hitters on that team have a positive WAR so far. Jose Ramirez is the only player with an OPS above .800. They've scored the second fewest runs in baseball at 62. That is a BAD offense.

Even if Lindor and Santana were hitting they only have three or four good hitters. Domingo Santana hasn't been good since 2017. Reyes was a part time player for a bad San Diego team.

I don't think they're going to carry a 2.57 team ERA for the rest of the year so they'd better start hitting - to only be 10-9 while giving up ~2.5 runs a game is bad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, almagest said:

Lindor has been terrible so far and has the 5th highest batting average on their team hitting .227. Third highest slugging percentage at .387. Only three hitters on that team have a positive WAR so far. Jose Ramirez is the only player with an OPS above .800. They've scored the second fewest runs in baseball at 62. That is a BAD offense.

Even if Lindor and Santana were hitting they only have three or four good hitters. Domingo Santana hasn't been good since 2017. Reyes was a part time player for a bad San Diego team.

I don't think they're going to carry a 2.57 team ERA for the rest of the year so they'd better start hitting - to only be 10-9 while giving up ~2.5 runs a game is bad.

Feels like we say this every year about the Indians...

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2020/5/28/21270926/mlb-chicago-cubs-ricketts-family-coronavirus-wrigley-field-wrigleyville

Paul Sullivan recently wrote an article about the Chicago Cubs possibly needing to trade away some of their higher-priced players because the COVID-19 pandemic had hit the Ricketts family particularly hard. The article was full of the typical media claptrap that caters to a Ricketts family that loves to get positive press. The actual content of the article matters very little next to the general idea of the Cubs being so strapped for cash that they must move salary.

That idea has been put forth by the Ricketts’ for two offseasons now. It’s an idea that isn’t going away it seems, no matter how much the facts may reveal it as a lie. When the MLB season is underway and the MLB machine is in full swing the Cubs run like the smoothest part of that machine. The Ricketts’ find themselves with a franchise that is a gold mine in every sense of the phrase. The Cubs are always at or near the top of ticket sales, ad revenue, merchandise sold, endorsements, and so on and so forth. Wrigleyville has become a way for the Ricketts’ to use the Cubs to print money. That is exactly what they have done by renovating the area, forcing out most of the other business interests, and monopolizing every cent of profit that can be made from the neighborhood directly surrounding Wrigley Field.

Before we go any further keep two numbers in mind; $3.2 billion and $5.3 billion. The former is the value of the Cubs as a franchise while the latter is the value of the Ricketts’ family as a whole. We’re not talking hundreds of millions or even just a few billion when we are discussing the riches of the Cubs and the Ricketts’. Nope, we’re talking about amounts north of $5 billion. Let that sink in for a moment and make sure you remember it because it is most important to everything you’re about to read.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the con game is still on with the Cubs even with the recent success. It is all about the ballpark and the neighborhood. I wouldn't trust the Ricketts family if I was a Cub fan. It will interesting to see if the team starts losing again and how the ownership will react. Will Cub fans find losing lovable again?Did their fans enjoy those two poundings the Sox gave them? 

Edited by NWINFan

17 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Cubs are not very good. I know record says otherwise. 

They are pretty good - pitching has been strong (even though it didn't hold up in 2 games against the Sox) and the offense is solid. They are kind of like a poor man version of the Indians.  Rotation not quite as good as Cleveland's (but still been producing), however, the offense is better (not great - but solid).  Offense misses Kris Bryant though and Rizzo hasn't gotten on track yet.