Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moan4Yoan

Sox sign CF Gorkys Hernandez to minor league deal

Recommended Posts

Time to pump the breaks on Robert being on the opening day roster...."In Center Field and leading off....Gorkys Hernandez!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Charlotte needs a CF'er. Allows Basabe to repeat at Birmingham until he proves he's ready.

Basabe only has one option left and spent parts of two seasons with Birmingham, so he should definitely start this year in Charlotte IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Basabe only has one option left and spent parts of two seasons with Birmingham, so he should definitely start this year in Charlotte IMO.

until he's proven he can handle AA I don't see the need.  it's a make or break year for both rutherford and basabe.  no reason to rush either guy up to charlotte.  let them sustain some success in AA (if they even can) before pushing them up the ladder.

if basabe can't hit in AA I'd assume he's trade bait at the deadline (if anybody even has any interest) or hell maybe even just waived.  Same with Rutherford.  not ideal but their performance up to this point hasn't earned them a guaranteed 40 man spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Luis Robert being traded confirmed.

MLBIntel will tell you he's going with Moncada to COL for Arenado

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Basabe only has one option left and spent parts of two seasons with Birmingham, so he should definitely start this year in Charlotte IMO.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think he's earned it yet. I don't see any harm in letting him start 2020 in Birmingham. He was terrible for most of last season. I know he was hurt, but I'd give him a month to build confidence and promote him after that. You currently have Palka, Delmonico, Brugman, Hernandez, and possibly Booker as your Charlotte OF right now - with probably one guy released entirely before the season starts. That's a whole roster worth of AAAA players that should be forced out when guys prove they are ready for the next step and can actually serve as depth for the MLB team. Totally my opinion, but I just don't see much from Basabe in the stat lines that says otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think he's earned it yet. I don't see any harm in letting him start 2020 in Birmingham. He was terrible for most of last season. I know he was hurt, but I'd give him a month to build confidence and promote him after that. You currently have Palka, Delmonico, Brugman, Hernandez, and possibly Booker as your Charlotte OF right now - with probably one guy released entirely before the season starts. That's a whole roster worth of AAAA players that should be forced out when guys prove they are ready for the next step and can actually serve as depth for the MLB team. Totally my opinion, but I just don't see much from Basabe in the stat lines that says otherwise.

Yep.  The days of being a AAAA guy shuttled between Chicago and Charlotte are pretty much over.  Some of these guys will leave for greener pastures (rebuilding teams) I'd imagine once they realize Chicago doesn't have time for them anymore.  Someone like Palka will never get another shot in Chicago but perhaps could spend a few months on some bottom feeder.  Ditto with Delmonico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yep.  The days of being a AAAA guy shuttled between Chicago and Charlotte are pretty much over.  Some of these guys will leave for greener pastures (rebuilding teams) I'd imagine once they realize Chicago doesn't have time for them anymore.  Someone like Palka will never get another shot in Chicago but perhaps could spend a few months on some bottom feeder.  Ditto with Delmonico.

A shame really, both Palka and Delmonico are awesome human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A shame really, both Palka and Delmonico are awesome human beings.

only shame is they can't hit a baseball better.  Both guys got an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't, got a few months of Big League Pussy and a lifetime pension from MLB and stories for their kids and grandkids.  Not bad.  Hell, hopefully it doesn't happen but I'd imagine Nicky might be the 5th OF and only an Eloy stumble in left away from the 25 man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

only shame is they can't hit a baseball better.  Both guys got an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't, got a few months of Big League Pussy and a lifetime pension from MLB and stories for their kids and grandkids.  Not bad.  Hell, hopefully it doesn't happen but I'd imagine Nicky might be the 5th OF and only an Eloy stumble in left away from the 25 man.

Yah, which is kind of why I don't get grabbing a vet on a cheap 1 year deal.  But oh well.  Realistically if Eloy hits the DL, Leury is going to pick up most of his PT (talking once Madrigal is up). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, which is kind of why I don't get grabbing a vet on a cheap 1 year deal.  But oh well.  Realistically if Eloy hits the DL, Leury is going to pick up most of his PT (talking once Madrigal is up). 

If we revisited the thread about payroll expectations this year,aren't we still under the $120M which was the Athletic number ? I'm going to guess more than half the people who posted thought it would be higher.

I know it's nitpicking to say I'm unhappy about the lack of late signings but I am. Sure I can understand relying on Mendick and Leury and not trading more prospects but I really think the bullpen could use more help especially a long reliever. Heck you can see what the Red Sox want for Brandon Workman but that seems like a move for a team who is sure they are going to contend or more likely to happen at the deadline if the Red Sox still feel they can contend and it doesn't happen.

I can't help but feel they skimped a little on payroll this year not only in order to see how everything looks at the trade deadline but also to prepare for next year, But it just feels like they are in wait and see mode rather than trying to make the playoffs this year. Perhaps too many young pitchers and pitchers in general coming off injuries to push more chips in. Just seems odd that Hahn has talked about how JR reminds him that he isn't getting any younger but we still didn't make a much larger effort to win this year.

In my mind I am also drawing a correlation between the current payroll and increased spending in IFA and more developmental aspects of the game such as biomechanics or more high speed cameras. I have no knowledge that we have more high speed cameras now then before but I am seeing cameras in some of the spring training photos behind the pitchers.

Maybe this feeling needs its own thread but that's how I feel.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If we revisited the thread about payroll expectations this year,aren't we still under the $120M which was the Athletic number ? I'm going to guess more than half the people who posted thought it would be higher.

I know it's nitpicking to say I'm unhappy about the lack of late signings but I am. Sure I can understand relying on Mendick and Leury and not trading more prospects but I really think the bullpen could use more help especially a long reliever. Heck you can see what the Red Sox want for Brandon Workman but that seems like a move for a team who is sure they are going to contend or more likely to happen at the deadline if the Red Sox still feel they can contend and it doesn't happen.

I can't help but feel they skimped a little on payroll this year not only in order to see how everything looks at the trade deadline but also to prepare for next year, But it just feels like they are in wait and see mode rather than trying to make the playoffs this year. Perhaps too many young pitchers and pitchers in general coming off injuries to push more chips in. Just seems odd that Hahn has talked about how JR reminds him that he isn't getting any younger but we still didn't make a much larger effort to win this year.

In my mind I am also drawing a correlation between the current payroll and increased spending in IFA and more developmental aspects of the game such as biomechanics or more high speed cameras. I have no knowledge that we have more high speed cameras now then before but I am seeing cameras in some of the spring training photos behind the pitchers.

Maybe this feeling needs its own thread but that's how I feel.

I’m a little surprised.  There were some guys like Cameron Maybin ($1.5 mill) and Brad Miller ($2 mill) that could have been signed for next to nothing.  It will also be interesting to see what the Brewers signed Brock Holt for.  And there are still guys out there who could improve the Sox bench (Puig, Gennett, Dozier).

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m a little surprised.  There were some guys like Cameron Maybin ($1.5 mill) and Brad Miller ($2 mill) that could have been signed for next to nothing.  It will also be interesting to see what the Brewers signed Brock Holt for.  And there are still guys out there who could improve the Sox bench (Puig, Gennett, Dozier).

I liked Maybin especially if you believe that his numbers were the result of a new swing. I know he feels that way and thinks he will have a good year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I liked Maybin especially if you believe that his numbers were the result of a new swing. I know he feels that way and thinks he will have a good year.

Yes, he would have been a lot nicer than Engel as a starting OF if we suffer an injury.

But I agree with your post.  The Sox spent a ton of money this offseason so it’s a bit strange to see them cheap out on the bench for a few more million dollars on one year deals, isn’t it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, he would have been a lot nicer than Engel as a starting OF if we suffer an injury.

But I agree with your post.  The Sox spent a ton of money this offseason so it’s a bit strange to see them cheap out on the bench for a few more million dollars on one year deals, isn’t it?

Especially when guys like Palka and Delmonico wouldn't be big losses if Engel was sent down. Their days are numbered as it is. I'm going to take a guess on Holt's contract . 1 yr. $3.75M .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Especially when guys like Palka and Delmonico wouldn't be big losses if Engel was sent down. Their days are numbered as it is. I'm going to take a guess on Holt's contract . 1 yr. $3.75M .

If the Sox spend their remaining money on a big acquisition like Puig, I’m fine with going with Leury and Mendick in the infield.  Puig is probably the last impact bat available.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If the Sox spend their remaining money on a big acquisition like Puig, I’m fine with going with Leury and Mendick in the infield.  Puig is probably the last impact bat available.

Puig would maybe make sense on this team in MLB the show.  He makes absolutely no sense on this 26 man roster as constructed.  The depth would be nice even if he's a complete ass, but its not like he's going to agree to play in AAA while we wait for Eloy to hurt himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Puig would maybe make sense on this team in MLB the show.  He makes absolutely no sense on this 26 man roster as constructed.  The depth would be nice even if he's a complete ass, but its not like he's going to agree to play in AAA while we wait for Eloy to hurt himself. 

I know Puig has reverse splits but he would be a platoon RF with the Sox at the very least.  He is much better against lefties than Mazara.

And yes, he could potentially be a full-time OF with an injury to the OF.

Would Puig sign with the Sox considering the potentially limited playing time?  I don’t think so but I still think he makes sense for the roster as constructed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×