FS: What's Driving Mercedes' Power?

Rankin

The Problem is whether you believe Mercedes can play catcher (even as a backup) or any other position than DH.

Mercedes is likely a better hitter than some guys on the sox roster but is his bat good enough to play at DH when they already have EE, abreu, Collins and probably vaughn in the summer to fall?

Even with 26 men you might not want to carry a second or third DH.

I do think mercdes could post like a 100-105 wRC+ which is better than several guys on the roster but for a DH that is pretty meh.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

McCann still exists right?

3rd catcher / insurance in case of injury.

For all of the griping over the years about Collins' defense, Mercedes makes him look like Yadier Molina. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Good Guys said:

I've been fortunate enough to watch a few games with Mercedes playing on mlb network this year.  He reminds me somewhat of Pablo Sandoval.  I hope the White Sox find him some AB's at the big league level this year.

He's going to take the 26 job unless someone stops him. He is no chunkier than Vlad. Let him play and see if he is Pablo or Tuffy Rhodes. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

He's going to take the 26 job unless someone stops him. He is no chunkier than Vlad. Let him play and see if he is Pablo or Tuffy Rhodes. 

If he doesn’t make it, it will likely be his glove, not his bat, that dictates the decision.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's almost certainly going to get a shot this year, unless you think Jose and EE play a combined 300 games.  He's a DH/1B only.  You can't have him catch a MLB game based on what we've seen this spring.   I'm not sure why the Sox haven't gotten off the pot on that yet.

You are probably right but maybe they are trying to evaluate Mercedes / Collins / Zavala to see if they can move McCann like Not Cishek suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

SInce Yearnin' and Squirmin" have been lagging ,I'm going to keep bumping this until Yermin gets sent down .

Yermin hasn't been getting many AB's lately but despite that he took over the ST team HR lead with 2 HR's in his last 3 AB's going back to March 8 against the Padres and March 9 vs. the Reds.

With Encarnacion out with his hip problem, I expect to see more of Mercedes who has the same amount of AB's as Palka, Collins could use some more time too .Maybe at 1st base and DH

Mendick, Engel and Delmonico are 1,2,3 in AB's despite Delmonico slowing down significantly from his hot start. Could be they are giving him AB's because they know they might have to cut him and trying to get him picked up by another team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SInce Yearnin' and Squirmin" have been lagging ,I'm going to keep bumping this until Yermin gets sent down .

Yermin hasn't been getting many AB's lately but despite that he took over the ST team HR lead with 2 HR's in his last 3 AB's going back to March 8 against the Padres and March 9 vs. the Reds.

With Encarnacion out with his hip problem, I expect to see more of Mercedes who has the same amount of AB's as Palka, Collins could use some more time too .Maybe at 1st base and DH

Mendick, Engel and Delmonico are 1,2,3 in AB's despite Delmonico slowing down significantly from his hot start. Could be they are giving him AB's because they know they might have to cut him and trying to get him picked up by another team.

He deserves the 26th spot.. 

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He deserves the 26th spot.. 

As of now perhaps but still a long way to go to Opening Day. It's also hard to keep him because it's also hard to say what the Sox do with of Collins , If he was more versatile he'd be right up with vying for the 26th man but it is an uphill battle for him .

.407/.515.815, 3HR, 2 2B, 6RBI, 4BB, 5K, 5R in 27ABs - Chelsor Cuthbert

.381/.409/1.000 4HR, 1 2B, 9RBI, 1BB, 5K, 6R in 21ABs - Yermin Mercedes

One has played defense in the major leagues before, and the other is not a major league defender at all.

I love me some spring Yermin, but I don't see how he's the 26th man unless there is an injury to Abreu or EE when they break camp.

Edited by SouthWallace

9 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

.407/.515.815, 3HR, 2 2B, 6RBI, 4BB, 5K, 5R in 27ABs - Chelsor Cuthbert

.381/.409/1.000 4HR, 1 2B, 9RBI, 1BB, 5K, 6R in 21ABs - Yermin Mercedes

One has played defense in the major leagues before, and the other is not a major league defender at all.

I love me some spring Yermin, but I don't see how he's the 26th man unless there is an injury to Abreu or EE when they break camp.

Doesn't Cuthbert have like a million errors this spring? And isn't he a career .679 OPS hitter? We don't know what Yermin is, he could be that, or he could be something really good.  We know what Chester Cuthbert is.

53 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Doesn't Cuthbert have like a million errors this spring? And isn't he a career .679 OPS hitter? We don't know what Yermin is, he could be that, or he could be something really good.  We know what Chester Cuthbert is.

I think the main point is that spring stats are darn close to meaningless either way.

41 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I think the main point is that spring stats are darn close to meaningless either way.

Correct.  And based on who has played more and who subs in first, Cuthbert looks to be first in line for the 26th man.  His D sucks, but he can at least play on the infield, and is easy to cut when the time comes.  

2 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Correct.  And based on who has played more and who subs in first, Cuthbert looks to be first in line for the 26th man.  His D sucks, but he can at least play on the infield, and is easy to cut when the time comes.  

I wouldn't exactly say darn close to meaningless. If Mercedes had a poor spring it's likely he doesn't have a shot for the 26th man .He's definitely put himself in the running.

You could say the same thing about Collins who is perhaps having the finest spring of anyone. A bad spring by him and it just reinforces the many doubters he has that he's a bust.

Positive results in spring among the youngsters actually means something.  If Kopech sucks we would all be discouraged. Analytically we try to say it means nothing but we all know deep down we are encouraged by good results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn't exactly say darn close to meaningless. If Mercedes had a poor spring it's likely he doesn't have a shot for the 26th man .He's definitely put himself in the running.

You could say the same thing about Collins who is perhaps having the finest spring of anyone. A bad spring by him and it just reinforces the many doubters he has that he's a bust.

Positive results in spring among the youngsters actually means something.  If Kopech sucks we would all be discouraged. Analytically we try to say it means nothing but we all know deep down we are encouraged by good results.

Perhaps not completely meaningless, but also not an indicator of immediate success in the bigs.  Mercedes has been a fun watch and I believe he can hit in the bigs, but his roster fit just isn't there IMO.  

On 3/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, NorthSideSox72 said:

The hype about Yermin is not just based on spring training numbers. It is about what he was doing last season and now during spring training.

• Like 2