Most Memorable Sox Game You've Attended?

KnightsOnMintSt

Albert Belle hit a grand slam on my birthday once. May 11th, 1997. Not actually my birthday, but I was there in celebration of it.

I once saw Frank hit two bombs. My parents had gotten spots in a box suite for that night. Pretty cool. No idea of the date.

I did watch a Ubaldo Jimenez no-no in Atlanta from the front row in 2010. Great Dexter Fowler catch to preserve it late. I also saw the Yankees play at Fenway, and while it wasn’t an official game, I was present the first time New Yankee Stadium ever opened its doors, which was an exhibition game against the Cubs.

In no particular order...

1.Blackout Game 163

2. World Series game 1

3. Abreu walkoff grand slam vs Rays 2014

4. 2006 14 inning loss vs. Houston. Konerko solo shot in 7th, Iguchi 3 run home run in 8th, Iguchi grand slam in 9th to tie it after being down 9-1

5. 2008 I believe. 15th inning walk off homer from Thome vs. Angels. Might be off on some of the details there

6. Moncada and Kopech debuts were pretty memorable 

Edit:

Almost forgot 2006 sox vs. Cubs brawl. Pierzynski/Barrett

Edited by KrankinSox

1. 05 ALCS G1 - Scalper sold me a ticket right behind home plate for $30.

2. Sox @ Cubs, 1998 - Karchner K's Sammy w the bases loaded in the 10th. Sox lose on walkoff Brant Brown HR in the 11th.

3. Griffey's first game at The Cell, 2008 - Tigers go ahead in the 14th, Nick Swisher walkoff 3-run bomb to win.

7 hours ago, South Sider said:

A game against the Twins in 2003 the day the Sox acquired Robbie Alomar. Paul Konerko busted out of his season long slump with a game tying HR I believe in the late innings when we all thought this game was lost (because PK was hopeless). 

So he hits that HR and the place goes into a frenzy. So awesome. But it got even better. 

Later in the game, Big Frank was up and he just missed one, from my view it was barely foul. The place went nuts when he hit it, just to have it turn into a long foul ball. I don't remember how many pitches later it was, but he did it again, and we all exploded again not caring if the stupid umps would call it foul. It was fair that time!! What a great time. 

Also Opening Day 2005 was pretty sweet, especially in hindsight. 

Oooh hell yeah that was a good game.

1. Game 2 in '05. Paid $675 for a ticket. Remember vividly, when Vizcaino tied the game in the 9th, thinking how long it would take me to get that money back. When Pods hit the walk off, I was watching the outfielders and hoping for a triple. Never dreamed he would hit one out. 

Got home at 2 am, put on a pot of coffee, and re-watched the game on *VHS*.  Went to work on no sleep.

2. Final game at the old park. Parents surprised me with two tickets for an early 13th birthday present. I was so sad that year, as that place was such a huge part of early childhood memories. Getting to be there for the last out is something I'll never forget.

1) Lee Walkoff vs Flubs - what a scene 

2) Opening Night 2006 - one of the most memorable nights of my life, despite all the rain 

3) This game, my 14th birthday in 2003. Robby Alomar broke up a no-hitter in the 7th, and Frank homered to tie it right after, then walked it off with another one! 

In recent years, I'd say Moncada's debut is up there, also because I was in the GR Club for it. Kopech's would be without the rain, the crowd was electric for those couple innings. 

19 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I went to the game (I think in 2006) against the Astros where we were town 10-3 (roughly) in the eight inning.  Tadahito Iguchi hit a grand slam in the eigth and a three runner homer in the 9th to send us to extras.  We wound up losing though. Best game ever.

I was at that game too, 6/25/06 (my brother's birthday) on Sunday Night Baseball. We left in the 6th when the rain started, I was leaving the country the next morning. Heard both homers on the radio and watched them lose it at home. 

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

I was at that game too, 6/25/06 (my brother's birthday) on Sunday Night Baseball. We left in the 6th when the rain started, I was leaving the country the next morning. Heard both homers on the radio and watched them lose it at home. 

It was nuts.. That stadium went bonkers.  I remember my dad and oldest brother wanting to leave in the 8th to beat the traffic. Me and my other brother begged to stay!

1. Opening Day 1971. White Sox won 3-2. 44, 250 were in attendance and the Sox had hoped for half that much. Place went nuts when the Sox won it in the ninth on a pinch hit by a guy named Rich McKinney.

2. Bat Day June 1972. Over 51,000 in attendance. Dick Allen won the second game of the doubleheader with a line-shot three-run homer in the left field  seats.

3. June 2005. AJ won it in the ninth with an opposite field homer. Great emotion in the stands.

• Thanks 1

Game 2 of the World Series is #1 for me.

The Blackout game is #2 for me.

The World Series game felt surreal; I was in college at the time, and I traveled home for the game. I feel like I didn't appreciate it as much because I spent much of the post-season fearful of a collapse. I'd love to get back and appreciate it a bit more than I may have at that ime. 

I've only gone to roughly 20 or so games in my life but my most memorable was The Big Hurt's return with Oakland. 2 HR game that ended with a Pablo Ozuna walk off bunt single to score AJ with 2 outs. That game was the turning point in Frank's season too. .178/.300/.378 slash before it, a .302/.408/.603 slash after. The rest of that season Frank looked like mid '90s Frank all over again at age 38.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Post-season is soooo different than regular season. 2005 I went to G1 of the ALDS when the crushed the Sawx, then was at the "AJ game" in the ALCS, and G2 of the WS. Those are by far the best. Blackout game in 2008 too.

Regular season is harder, but three older games jump out:

• The "seat cushion game" where the Sox almost had to forfeit an actual MLB game because of seat cushions. The game also included a 3-run Pinch-Home-Run (Jerry Hairston) and a ridiculous catch by Daryl Boston. It was insane. Article here. What's not in the article is that they were actually saying over the the PA that if it continued happening, the Sox would have to forfeit.
  • Sox down 8-4 going to bottom of 9, score 6 runs capped by a Gary Redus Grand Slam to win it. Box score.
  • I was at Opening Day of the new ballpark in April of 1991. That was a really cool experience, even though the Sox got their asses handed to them in the game.

Game 1 and game 2 of World Series

Carlos Lee Walk off slam against the Cubs

ALDS game 1 when they routed the Red Sox

July 2nd 2003 against the Twins.  Konerko was having a terrible year but hit a homer off Guardado in the 11th to tie and Frank hit a walk off in the 12th off Guardado.  Ball landed like a row in front of me and my friend in the left field bleacher area.  I remember on sportscenter that night you could see us going nuts with everyone in the stands. That was when the Twins hatred was in full effect.

So many Crede moments in here; it really pushes home the fact that Joe Crede is one of the 5-10 greatest clutch players in MLB history. 

His numbers in clutch moments are so much better than his numbers regularly. 

Crede's career slash line: 254/304/444 (748)

Crede bases Empty OPS: 716

Crede with runners on: 788

Crede with bases loaded: 902

Crede wRC+ in low leverage: 84

Crede wRC+ in medium leverage: 88

Crede wRC+ in high leverage: 139!

Crede career postseason OPS: 949!

Clutch isn't just about how you perform in big moments; it's how those moments compare to your regular play. Derek Jeter was considered clutch because he was the same player in the post-season as the regular season; same for Ortiz. Joe Crede has every single clutch metric alive stating he was a VERY GOOD hitter in big moments, and a below average hitter in non-big moments. Joe was amazing.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Game 2 of the ALCS in 2005.

7/30/17 - Matt Davidson hit a walk-off two run HR.  I know, strange game to be most memorable, but I usually go to 1 or 2 games a year.  And this was the only game I've attended that ended on a walk-off HR.  We had seats just right of CF, and it was hotter than hell.  The sun was beating down on us all day.  My wife and daughters escaped to the shade, but my son and I stayed put.  We were rewarded with seeing the Davidson bomb.  It was a nice highlight during a pretty trying season.

I don't remember the game, but most "memorable" for me, as a kid.... I was a big Don Mattingly fan. My Dad got tickets for a Yankees/Sox game at the old park. I waited in line for what seemed like an eternity during Yankees BP for an autograph, but the only Yankee that was signing was Jack Clark. So I had to settle for that.

In terms of "Sox history" - probably 2006 opening day and surviving that rain delay and knowing "Jon Miller probably lost his shit on that Thome homer"

7 hours ago, longshot7 said:

1. 05 ALCS G1 - Scalper sold me a ticket right behind home plate for $30.

2. Sox @ Cubs, 1998 - Karchner K's Sammy w the bases loaded in the 10th. Sox lose on walkoff Brant Brown HR in the 11th.

3. Griffey's first game at The Cell, 2008 - Tigers go ahead in the 14th, Nick Swisher walkoff 3-run bomb to win.

Before the 2008 season I bought tickets for an entire series in KC and drove down. Turns out that was Griffey's debut for the Sox. IIRC, he had an RBI single.