July 2nd Latest from Futuresox & our James

bmags

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've had a tough time confirming anything during this pandemic. The White Sox have heavy rumored interest in Cespedes though. Today, Oscar Colas signed with Alex Cotto, the same agent that represents Norge Vera and Yoan Moncada. I'm not sure if it means anything but it's something to watch. 

Vera is in place for the next signing period,  correct?

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've had a tough time confirming anything during this pandemic. The White Sox have heavy rumored interest in Cespedes though. Today, Oscar Colas signed with Alex Cotto, the same agent that represents Norge Vera and Yoan Moncada. I'm not sure if it means anything but it's something to watch. 

Ok everyone, start the great SoxTalk Colas v. Cespedes debate.

Mainly because we need some baseball to chat about 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Putting it all together,  if Vera and Colas are seemingly in this class, it probably means Cespedes isn't. 

I haven't heard this specifically but I think the White Sox will try to prioritize Cespedes during this upcoming period. Then you worry about Colas later. Nobody else has money either and his Japanese club believes that they own his rights. If his situation isn't solved this summer, they could theoretically just sign Oscar Colas using 2021 signing money and push his signing to that period. There likely won't be any minor league baseball anyway so it's not a huge deal at this point. 

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I haven't heard this specifically but I think the White Sox will try to prioritize Cespedes during this upcoming period. Then you worry about Colas later. Nobody else has money either and his Japanese club believes that they own his rights. If his situation isn't solved this summer, they could theoretically just sign Oscar Colas using 2021 signing money and push his signing to that period. There likely won't be any minor league baseball anyway so it's not a huge deal at this point. 

Will there be prospects at facilities though? Just curious, or will MiLBers be screwed altogether?

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well this is the most fascinating hypothesis.

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That would be a great way to cover all 3.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is very interesting.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Colas would be someone who might be pushed to the July 2021 signing period, what would be the reason for his switch in agencies at this current time? Could they "agree" to something w/ the Sox this far in advance and just not have it become official for another 14 months?

9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If Colas would be someone who might be pushed to the July 2021 signing period, what would be the reason for his switch in agencies at this current time? Could they "agree" to something w/ the Sox this far in advance and just not have it become official for another 14 months?

Judging by the players they have, it could be the ability to get Cuban players to the US market.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

A lot of the players internationally have had "agreements" with teams for multiple years before they're actually allowed to sign, so I don't see why not.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I honestly am not too excited about him just on Longehagen (I think) report of him being a 35 FV and is he even listed as a top 30 international prospect?...

He's not listed because he hasn't been cleared to sign. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:58 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

A lot of the players internationally have had "agreements" with teams for multiple years before they're actually allowed to sign, so I don't see why not.

But isn't that typically because they are teenagers who can't agree to anything yet? Does this also happen with 21 year olds?

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

But isn't that typically because they are teenagers who can't agree to anything yet? Does this also happen with 21 year olds?

Probably. But at the moment he's in somewhat of a similar situation. He's still under contract in Japan (or at least his team believes he is) and hasn't been cleared to sign with a MLB club, so he can't really do anything at the moment until those get resolved. I'm sure teams are "talking" with him and he may ultimately have a preference on where he wants to be, they all just need to wait for the green light from the league. 

I posted some signings on twitter for people to see. I wrote about these for patrons back in February but I corresponded with Ben Badler recently and the players will be in his International Previews on Baseball America. 

Norge Vera RHP Cuba $1.5 million bonus

Victor Quezada 3B DR $525K

Manuel Guarimon C Venezuela $475K

Dario Barrero OF Venezuela $350K

Adrian Gil RHP Venezuela $250K

Gabriel Rodriguez IF Venezuela $100K

Antonio Jimenez OF $90K

Quezada is a big, strength/raw power guy. I tweeted a video. Sox had decent luck with pitchers similar to Gil the past few years with (Cristian Mena and Manuel Veloz). 

Badler said he expects another "big Cuban signing" due to their history and available pool space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

On 6/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I posted some signings on twitter for people to see. I wrote about these for patrons back in February but I corresponded with Ben Badler recently and the players will be in his International Previews on Baseball America. 

Norge Vera RHP Cuba $1.5 million bonus

Victor Quezada 3B DR $525K

Manuel Guarimon C Venezuela $475K

Dario Barrero OF Venezuela $350K

Adrian Gil RHP Venezuela $250K

Gabriel Rodriguez IF Venezuela $100K

Antonio Jimenez OF $90K

Quezada is a big, strength/raw power guy. I tweeted a video. Sox had decent luck with pitchers similar to Gil the past few years with (Cristian Mena and Manuel Veloz). 

Badler said he expects another "big Cuban signing" due to their history and available pool space. 

Do you think the Sox are more likely to sign Cespedes or Colas?