July 2nd Latest from Futuresox & our James

bmags

So it sounds like Colas has an agreement with the White Sox! It looks like he's lost some weight and has been working hard this off season. Would really like to see some updated scouting on him. Sorry the source and link to this is at the Colas thread.

Edited by smellysox

38 minutes ago, smellysox said:

So it sounds like Colas has an agreement with the White Sox! It looks like he's lost some weight and has been working hard this off season. Would really like to see some updated scouting on him. Sorry the source and link to this is at the Colas thread.

I've seen it reference in article, but it seems like a reach that he's been referred to as "Cuban Ohtani" with only 3 innings of pitching experience under his belt. And he does look like he lost some weight.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I don't get the answer:

When can this signing be announced? 7/2/20 or 7/2/21? Doesn't matter much as long as he signs...really awesome to see...on top of the Norge Carlos Vera sign, other signs, and Cespedes interest

29 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I don't get the answer:

When can this signing be announced? 7/2/20 or 7/2/21? Doesn't matter much as long as he signs...really awesome to see...on top of the Norge Carlos Vera sign, other signs, and Cespedes interest

He's still not cleared to sign yet, so nothing can/will be announced until that happens. 

6 hours ago, oldsox said:

So, is Colas supposed to be a better hitter than, say, Ben Bailey?

Colas is almost exactly 3 years older than Bailey and has played at significantly higher levels of baseball than Bailey has. He is almost certaintly a better hitter, but that's not a fair question. Bailey might already have a better approach at the plate, but that's tough to say from one year playing in the DSL.

• Like 2

I'm trying to find out what it means for the next period. It's stupid though because dates are arbitrary. All of these clubs have agreements in place for July 2 already. They won't become official until January now. All of these clubs also have agreements in place for July 2021. I would think that period stays the same because of the expiration of the CBA next December but we'll see. This could theoretically help the White Sox quite a bit though in their pursuit of Cespedes and Colas though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm trying to find out what it means for the next period. It's stupid though because dates are arbitrary. All of these clubs have agreements in place for July 2 already. They won't become official until January now. All of these clubs also have agreements in place for July 2021. I would think that period stays the same because of the expiration of the CBA next December but we'll see. This could theoretically help the White Sox quite a bit though in their pursuit of Cespedes and Colas though. 

Sounds like the 2021 period would start in January 2022 which is absurd. This is bad for White Sox but it’s also bad for Colas and Cespedes. 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sounds like the 2021 period would start in January 2022 which is absurd. This is bad for White Sox but it’s also bad for Colas and Cespedes. 

I don't understand why it couldn't just start in July 2021 as normal.

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why is this bad for the White Sox?  Just in hopes of landing both of them?  I wouldn’t think this would have any impact on our ability to land at least one of them in this next class, but maybe I’m completely off-bad here.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is this bad for the White Sox?  Just in hopes of landing both of them?  I wouldn’t think this would have any impact on our ability to land at least one of them in this next class, but maybe I’m completely off-bad here.

Lets say they sign Cespedes in January. Colas becomes available sometime in that calendar year. He'd have to wait until January 2022 to sign with the Sox. Teams already have the majority of their international space allocated though. There may not be money out there for him in the 2020 period. He'll be like 23 in the 2021 period. The whole thing is so stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2020 at 12:28 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Lets say they sign Cespedes in January. Colas becomes available sometime in that calendar year. He'd have to wait until January 2022 to sign with the Sox. Teams already have the majority of their international space allocated though. There may not be money out there for him in the 2020 period. He'll be like 23 in the 2021 period. The whole thing is so stupid. 

Getting both wasn’t completely realistic in the first place.   Whoever really wants to be with the White Sox and his fellow countrymen the most will undoubtedly sign.  Most signs point to Colas in terms of that.

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Getting both wasn’t completely realistic in the first place.   Whoever really wants to be with the White Sox and his fellow countrymen the most will undoubtedly sign.  Most signs point to Colas in terms of that.

Also, the Sox OF is pretty blocked. I don't think Cespedes is going to sign here. I'll take Colas as a consolation prize though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman