July 2nd Latest from Futuresox & our James

bmags

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It’s going to be fascinating to see which one of Colas or Cespedes they sign as it can really only be one of them.  It sounds like Cespedes is the better all-around prospect, but Colas potentially fills a massive hole by offering a left-handed power bat that could slide into RF assuming he’s in good shape.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s going to be fascinating to see which one of Colas or Cespedes they sign as it can really only be one of them.  It sounds like Cespedes is the better all-around prospect, but Colas potentially fills a massive hole by offering a left-handed power bat that could slide into RF assuming he’s in good shape.

Everything about him screams a left handed Kirby Puckett to me, body shape, arm, etc.

Would love to see both signed but if given the choice between them I'd prefer Colas. We still have Adolfo, Rutherford and Bailey with the ability to slot into LF.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Colas should be the priority. The Sox need to prioritize LH bats. 

I really wonder with the changes in the international period, and the COVID situation, if one of those guys is going to be willing to undersign a deal up front for a chance to get into baseball quicker and maybe a wink agreement to move up the ladder faster.

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Nothing to do with a delayed signing period from COVID? I genuinely don't know, just want to add the most talent possible

If anything the delayed signing period hurts us, as it makes it less likely one of these guys waits out another year.  It’s almost certainly going to be one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Nothing to do with a delayed signing period from COVID? I genuinely don't know, just want to add the most talent possible

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If anything the delayed signing period hurts us, as it makes it less likely one of these guys waits out another year.  It’s almost certainly going to be one or the other.

This is true. The White Sox have agreements with Norge Vera and 6 other players totaling just over $3 million. They have close to $2.5 million to spend still and teams aren't allowed to trade money. The 2020 period that was supposed to begin on July 2 starts on January 15. Most teams have all of their $$ spent. The Sox could have prioritized Cespedes and attempted to sign Colas in July 2021 but MLB moved this period to January 15, 2021 and the following period to January 15, 2022. I doubt either guy wants to wait that long and the Sox likely have plans for the 2022 money already anyway. Cespedes can sign whenever but Colas is still hung up with his Japanese deal. The White Sox have a great relationship with Alex Cotto, the agent for Colas who also represents Yoan Moncada and Norge Vera. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is true. The White Sox have agreements with Norge Vera and 6 other players totaling just over $3 million. They have close to $2.5 million to spend still and teams aren't allowed to trade money. The 2020 period that was supposed to begin on July 2 starts on January 15. Most teams have all of their $$ spent. The Sox could have prioritized Cespedes and attempted to sign Colas in July 2021 but MLB moved this period to January 15, 2021 and the following period to January 15, 2022. I doubt either guy wants to wait that long and the Sox likely have plans for the 2022 money already anyway. Cespedes can sign whenever but Colas is still hung up with his Japanese deal. The White Sox have a great relationship with Alex Cotto, the agent for Colas who also represents Yoan Moncada and Norge Vera. 

Do we know who still has money left in this period who could be a threat?  Like a Baltimore maybe?

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

When do you expect Colas to come off his Japanese deal? How long of a hold up is that going to be?  I could see us fans getting anxious if Jan 15 comes and Cespedes signs elsewhere and we are still waiting for him to get out of that deal.

Not a huge fan of "The Cuban Ohtani" designation. I know he can throw 95 mph, but I haven't seen much indication that he will pitch outside of that. 

I hope we sign him regardless. You have to think the White Sox are frontrunners for whichever Cuban prospects they decide to go for.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Unless they have traded for more, the Rays should a bonus pool of $6.4M.  Sounds like they already have two major signings in place for somewhere around $5.0M plus a couple lesser signings (not sure if they will count against the pool or not).  Regardless, seems like they would be hard pressed to sign Colas for much more than $1.0M to $1.4M and I believe Jimmy has pointed out we should have $2M+ to work with.

Edited by Chicago White Sox