July 2nd Latest from Futuresox & our James

bmags

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I doubt this applies to the sox verbal deal with Colas but yeah that is going to screw things up in terms of development and young super stars for the sport. Also the inability to trade draft pool money is dumb as well. Maybe this is why Colas is hosting a work out because the sox were caught with their pants down?

1 hour ago, beautox said:

I doubt this applies to the sox verbal deal with Colas but yeah that is going to screw things up in terms of development and young super stars for the sport. Also the inability to trade draft pool money is dumb as well. Maybe this is why Colas is hosting a work out because the sox were caught with their pants down?

He still has to go through the appearance of it being an "open" process so they don't run into the tampering stuff.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, fathom said:

Great stuff with James on this podcast, especially with his international signing talk near the end. Give me Cespedes over Colas.

http://www.futuresox.com/2020/12/18/futuresox-podcast-expectations-for-garrett-crochet-in-2021/

That Cespedes comment sure was interesting.

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That Cespedes comment sure was interesting.

This is complete speculation so please take it as such: I've heard from people I trust that the Sox were very confident on Cespedes. Such as, "he's part of the plan", etc. It's quiet right now in general. He has no workout scheduled. There has also been an assumption that Colas is coming to the Sox. I don't think the team has the bonus pool space for both. Here's my theory: The Sox were going to sign Cespedes with their remaining cash in the 2020 class if it happened back in July. Then they would theoretically push Colas to July 2021. This makes the most sense to me. This probably isn't an option anymore because I doubt Oscar Colas wants to wait until January 2022. I'm not really sure what happens at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is complete speculation so please take it as such: I've heard from people I trust that the Sox were very confident on Cespedes. Such as, "he's part of the plan", etc. It's quiet right now in general. He has no workout scheduled. There has also been an assumption that Colas is coming to the Sox. I don't think the team has the bonus pool space for both. Here's my theory: The Sox were going to sign Cespedes with their remaining cash in the 2020 class if it happened back in July. Then they would theoretically push Colas to July 2021. This makes the most sense to me. This probably isn't an option anymore because I doubt Oscar Colas wants to wait until January 2022. I'm not really sure what happens at this point. 

Very interesting, unsure who I like more, but Colas seemed to be a lock

Why don't we have both?

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

Very interesting, unsure who I like more, but Colas seemed to be a lock

Why don't we have both?

My guess is they each get around $2 million or so. The Sox have like $2.3 million left in their pool. They have to choose 1 in that case if they don't want to sign in January 2022 period. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Appreciate the additional context there.  I’m just glad to hear that at one point there was a certain degree of confidence in landing one of the two.  At this point that’s all we can ask for, but not landing either of them would certainly be a huge blow given all the advantages we have at the moment in terms of remaining pool dollars, organizational desirability, and a wide open spot in RF for the foreseeable future.  Hopefully I’m just being pessimistic, but it’s easy to assume the worst when it comes to LatAm signings with a Jerry Reinsdorf led organization.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Appreciate the additional context there.  I’m just glad to hear that at one point there was a certain degree of confidence in landing one of the two.  At this point that’s all we can ask for, but not landing either of them would certainly be a huge blow given all the advantages we have at the moment in terms of remaining pool dollars, organizational desirability, and a wide open spot in RF for the foreseeable future.  Hopefully I’m just being pessimistic, but it’s easy to assume the worst when it comes to LatAm signings with a Jerry Reinsdorf led organization.

You shouldn't assume the worst with guys like this though. Older cubans with somewhat limited upside and markets are right in this club's wheelhouse. This is kind of what they do. 

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You shouldn't assume the worst with guys like this though. Older cubans with somewhat limited upside and markets are right in this club's wheelhouse. This is kind of what they do. 

Honestly, I’m more worried that Jerry views either of these guys as unnecessary additions at this time and allocates the $2M towards major league needs.  I’m sure that’s just me being pessimistic, but until a signing is announced or at least leaked like Vera I will be irrationally nervous.

In terms of upside, don’t both guys have fairly high ceilings?  My understanding is Cespedes is a legit five tool talent who can play CF and has recently flashed semi-intriguing power potential. And while Colas may have a questionable hit tool,  it seems like the arm, speed, & power are all plus, especially now that he’s back in elite shape.  Do you feel those takes are off?  Honestly, if we signed either guy I think they’d instantly be top 100 prospects, sliding in between Madrigal and Kelley in organizational rankings (I have our top three as Vaughn, Kopech, & Crochet).

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Is the expectation that the Sox do land one of them in this signing period?`

dang it, for some reason I thought the period ended january 4th not the 15th.

Wellp, it's a good thing every day is the same and nothing happens. It'll fly by.

I kinda like that there is intrigue here. It's more like a college signing day where you think you know but you don't know know.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

So no Colas? Didi the pandemic have an impact on the reality of signing both?

Colas still has yet to be cleared to sign, but had the signing period not been pushed back, it could've been more possible than it seems at the moment. Unless Oscar wants to wait until next Jan to sign 🤞

Yeah this is the line:

"So with more flexibility in their pool relative to other clubs, the White Sox now are expected to sign Cuban outfielder Yoelki Cespedes—the 23-year-old brother of Yoenis Cespedes—for around $2 million on Jan. 15. Cespedes isn't that tall, but he has a strong, athletic build (5-foot-9, 205-pounds) and a quick bat. He played in the 2017 World Baseball Classic and hit .319/.355/.389 with two walks and 18 strikeouts in 77 plate apperances as a 21-year-old during his final season in Cuba's Serie Nacional in the 2018-19 season. The year before he batted .273/.353/.400 in 289 plate appearances with 17 strikeouts and 42 walks."

I'm going to pull this out for a new thread.