Andrew Vaughn

KnightsOnMintSt

I am really looking forward to following him this season. For someone that was the 3rd overall pick, he seems like a guy that isn’t talked about as much as expected. I think he is going to have a monster year throughout the minors. Seems like he has a great balance of raw talent and tremendous work ethic.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I am really looking forward to following him this season. For someone that was the 3rd overall pick, he seems like a guy that isn’t talked about as much as expected. I think he is going to have a monster year throughout the minors. Seems like he has a great balance of raw talent and tremendous work ethic.

There was an article last week where one of the fangraphs guys was talking to some scouting director comparing Vaughn to Konerko. The scouting director said he was "way better "than Paulie.  That would be HOF material.

I Think he definitely is a very good hitter but I don't think he has huge power. His max EV according to fangraphs last year was 111 which is ok but not outstanding (ranked about 110th in mlb last year).

I still think he can hit 30+ bombs due to his bat control but he is not the classic 80 raw 1b like pete alonso or joey gallo.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I Think he definitely is a very good hitter but I don't think he has huge power. His max EV according to fangraphs last year was 111 which is ok but not outstanding (ranked about 110th in mlb last year).

I still think he can hit 30+ bombs due to his bat control but he is not the classic 80 raw 1b like pete alonso or joey gallo.

I'm totally ok with Vaughn being Freddie Freeman

• Like 1

Looking forward to 2023.  Vaughn hits his 100th HR in a late May game against Kansas City.  

In the same game, for Kansas City, a 34 yr old Jose Iglesias makes a slick play at some point and goes 1-4 to raise his OPS to .590.  Not a bad game for a declining defensive wizard who accepted the only MLB contract he was offered.  Unfortunately for the Royals, Bobby Witt Jr. Is struggling mightily in his second go round in AA, barely topping Iglesias’ .590 OPS 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

One of the few national baseball podcasts I listened to recently said they don't really believe Vaughn will get to all of his power in game, but they asked, would you not still take a guy who could hit .315+ every year with 25 HR, and an OBP around .400? Like Balta said, that's basically Freddie Freeman or Justin Turner. That will definitely work out.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

15 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

One of the few national baseball podcasts I listened to recently said they don't really believe Vaughn will get to all of his power in game, but they asked, would you not still take a guy who could hit .315+ every year with 25 HR, and an OBP around .400? Like Balta said, that's basically Freddie Freeman or Justin Turner. That will definitely work out.

Freeman has hit 35+ HR multiple times. 

I think Vaughn has an outside chance to be Edgar Martinez. 

Look at Martinez's stats from 1993-99

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martied01.shtml

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Freeman has hit 35+ HR multiple times. 

I think Vaughn has an outside chance to be Edgar Martinez. 

Look at Martinez's stats from 1993-99

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martied01.shtml

Freeman has only hit more than 35 HR once, and it was last season. He knocked out 34 in 2016, so it's not like you're that far off lol. I'd be more than happy if Vaughn was able to produce Freddie Freeman numbers in the majors.

20 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Freeman has only hit more than 35 HR once, and it was last season. He knocked out 34 in 2016, so it's not like you're that far off lol. I'd be more than happy if Vaughn was able to produce Freddie Freeman numbers in the majors.

I specifically brought up Freeman because the comment on Vaughn was "He's only around 100th in the league in exit velocity and that won't produce 50 HR's". Both Freeman and just for good measure Paul Goldschmidt have been right in that same range.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:39 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

This makes very little sense though, imo.

Vaughn actually gets to more power, arguably, than his build/raw power would show he has. Given his size and stature, it's amazing he generates as much power as he does. I don't think he has any issues maxing out his power, I just think the max on his power might be lower than big power hitters because he's just not a very big guy and produces leverage in a different way.

Freddie Freeman is a nice comp; when healthy, Freddie is one of the 10 best hitters in the game. Who cares about 28 or 35 or 42 homers honestly if you're as productive as someone like Freddie.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This makes very little sense though, imo.

Vaughn actually gets to more power, arguably, than his build/raw power would show he has. Given his size and stature, it's amazing he generates as much power as he does. I don't think he has any issues maxing out his power, I just think the max on his power might be lower than big power hitters because he's just not a very big guy and produces leverage in a different way.

Freddie Freeman is a nice comp; when healthy, Freddie is one of the 10 best hitters in the game. Who cares about 28 or 35 or 42 homers honestly if you're as productive as someone like Freddie.

Chicks dig the long ball.  🤣

Sox Fan

1:23

I think you dont love comps, but any comp for Vaughn? Its been a long time since a 1st year first baseman was a consensus top 30 prospect

Eric A Longenhagen

1:23

I've dropped Konerko comps (while he was still in college) because of how surgical his approach is but I've been told that's too light.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I think Vaughn could play well in the majors right now, he basically is a a finished product. 

However since the sox have a logjam at 1b/dh with EE, abreu, Collins and maybe even Mercedes if he makes the roster Vaughn probably will be parked in the minors a little. I still think he will be up in fall, AA pitching is just not a match for him and he isn't learning much there.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think Vaughn could play well in the majors right now, he basically is a a finished product. 

However since the sox have a logjam at 1b/dh with EE, abreu, Collins and maybe even Mercedes if he makes the roster Vaughn probably will be parked in the minors a little. I still think he will be up in fall, AA pitching is just not a match for him and he isn't learning much there.

Man I’d love to see that in some other-worldly numbers.  What’s your guess?

.350/.475/.625