Less Bunting?!

DirtySox

30 minutes ago, mqr said:

Huh, imagine that. Who could have foreseen this?

I know I was saying it all last season. He was playing the hand he was dealt, a bunch of below average hitter who had a better chance to execute a bunt than get a hit. If he has better hitters he won't feel the need to bunt as much.

This is really the first time in his entire career he has a good team. I have no idea if he going to be a good manager but I don't think we've seen the "real" manager either.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know I was saying it all last season. He was playing the hand he was dealt, a bunch of below average hitter who had a better chance to execute a bunt than get a hit. If he has better hitters he won't feel the need to bunt as much.

This is really the first time in his entire career he has a good team. I have no idea if he going to be a good manager but I don't think we've seen the "real" manager either.

I think the 3 batter rule may make him better. He seemed so stuck on L/L, R/R matchups.  His bullpen usage has been questioned every year he has managed.  Better players also helps.

Edited by Dick Allen

Renteria’s bunting strategy was still awful even with his worse lineups in prior years.  It never really worked and he kept doing it.  It was still poor managing.

I would hope he realizes he shouldn’t be bunting with his current starting lineup but bunting is never really a great strategy overall.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the 3 batter rule may make him better. He seemed so stuck on L/L, R/R matchups.  His bullpen usage has been questioned every year he has managed.  Better players also helps.

Idk why, protecting late game leads has been the only thing they've been remotely good at.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Renteria’s bunting strategy was still awful even with his worse lineups in prior years.  It never really worked and he kept doing it.  It was still poor managing.

I would hope he realizes he shouldn’t be bunting with his current starting lineup but bunting is never really a great strategy overall.

When you have a team of poor hitters, no options are good.