Giolito: The White Sox pitching Yoda?

Look at Ray Ray Run

The latest piece by Fegan about the pitching staff, technology, Cooper and more importantly Giolito was fantastic.

Cease changed his delivery and looks a lot like Giolito; as he spent all off-season working with Giolito to fix his spin and balance issues. His grip issues and etc. His glove being far from his body through him off balance.

Lopez, who had turned down Giolito's offer last off-season (to which Giolito said he felt he'd never come around) and worked out in DR, took Lucas up on the offer this off-season. He also went to learn about maximizing his spin, command and etc with modern new-age tech that Lopez wasn't a big believer in prior. 

Giolito also made changes; to his slider grip, and he worked all off-season to find that old 12/6 hammer's release point to throw it for strikes. 

And Carlos Rodon has been using all the new Sox tech to learn how to use his lower body more (he always stood so tall) to tech stress off his legs.

This is obviously a spring training fluff piece in a way, but players believe when other players have huge turnarounds like Giolito. They bought in, and who knows how well it may benefit the team going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The latest piece by Fegan about the pitching staff, technology, Cooper and more importantly Giolito was fantastic.

Cease changed his delivery and looks a lot like Giolito; as he spent all off-season working with Giolito to fix his spin and balance issues. His grip issues and etc. His glove being far from his body through him off balance.

Lopez, who had turned down Giolito's offer last off-season (to which Giolito said he felt he'd never come around) and worked out in DR, took Lucas up on the offer this off-season. He also went to learn about maximizing his spin, command and etc with modern new-age tech that Lopez wasn't a big believer in prior. 

Giolito also made changes; to his slider grip, and he worked all off-season to find that old 12/6 hammer's release point to throw it for strikes. 

And Carlos Rodon has been using all the new Sox tech to learn how to use his lower body more (he always stood so tall) to tech stress off his legs.

This is obviously a spring training fluff piece in a way, but players believe when other players have huge turnarounds like Giolito. They bought in, and who knows how well it may benefit the team going forward.

I love it! Though I hope Cease doesn't turn into another short arm thrower (Giolito).  I worry for his longevity and shoulder! Though it has worked for him!

19 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Very true. hopefully he also alters his follow through that I've disliked since they drafted him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

Slow mo video of Cease that Fegan posted earlier looked an awful lot like he spent a lot of time with Gio

2019:

The big difference between these two is his glove arm doesn't get anywhere near as far out front as it did in 2019. He doesn't have quite as much extension on the back swing, but when he comes forward he's much more compact and doesn't fall off towards the first base side as much.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

Slow mo video of Cease that Fegan posted earlier looked an awful lot like he spent a lot of time with Gio

One excerpt from the Fegan piece:

Giolito’s relationship with Cease can seem like the closest and most directly instructional on the staff a times, but Giolito shared a clubhouse with López at Low-A Hagerstown as far back as 2014 when they were with the Nationals, and both have seen each other suffer through the worst years of their careers in Chicago. They’ve also known each other long enough that when López initially turned down Giolito’s invitation to train with him in Los Angeles, Giolito thought his teammate was beyond convincing and was shocked when he saw him at Mamba Academy this winter.

“He said ‘Wow, you’re here bro!'” López recalled through team interpreter Billy Russo. “Maybe for me it’s good to get out of my comfort zone and try something different. I said well, why not, let’s give it a shot.”

In Gio they trust.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

2019:

The big difference between these two is his glove arm doesn't get anywhere near as far out front as it did in 2019. He doesn't have quite as much extension on the back swing, but when he comes forward he's much more compact and doesn't fall off towards the first base side as much.

Wait a minute. You mean you will have better control if you stay in a straight line instead of turning to the side? I'm shocked at this revelation. 

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wait a minute. You mean you will have better control if you stay in a straight line instead of turning to the side? I'm shocked at this revelation. 

I get Coopers reaction that a lot of these new age cameras are just tracking technique and verbiage he's been teaching for decades... but the difference is you can literally show him, track him, and teach him how he should feel when he's doing it right based on tech/cameras... and you can use the tools/equipment to better train the body to do it right. 

Cooper may have known this was a problem, but telling someone and teaching is different than being able to show them in slow mo detail and etc.