Aaron Bummer extended 5 years/16M (plus two options)

Kyyle23

I think it’s good. Relievers have become super expensive in arb. They paid him upfront to avoid paying him $19-$20 million in his arb years. Smooths the commitment out. The club options are a possibly nice to have but beside the point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

There’s not much risk in this deal at all though. They’re essentially paying him slightly more than $3 million a year for the next 5 years. If he sucks by the end of the contract they just won’t pick up the club options. I like it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

If an AAV of $3.2M is a dent on this rebuild, we suck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't know about this one. Relievers just aren't worth that kind of commitment anymore unless they are a lights out kind of guy with a good sized track record. . 

This is a relatively small monetary commitment 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

He literally got a contract with less money than Herrera last year.. Herrera got 2 years, Bummer 5..  Bummer >>>>> Herrera...

Right but the Sox already had control of Bummer at reduced from free agency costs for several seasons. Many of the same things that have been said about Bummer where said about Fry a year ago. I don’t think you would like this contract for Fry. And relievers who don’t pickup saves are not very expensive in arbitration.

Edited by Dick Allen