Aaron Bummer extended 5 years/16M (plus two options)

Kyyle23

17 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

He literally got a contract with less money than Herrera last year.. Herrera got 2 years, Bummer 5..  Bummer >>>>> Herrera...

What are the odds he is in 6 or 7 years? Pretty small. That’s all I’m getting at. 

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

There is a good chance Bummer inherits the closer role after this year, which would make deal even better. Colome did make $23M in his arb years being a good not great closer.

Despite appearing in over 60 games the previous 2 seasons, Bummer didn’t make the Opening Day roster of the rebuilding 2019 White Sox. He had a great season when he was called up. But to say he is in line to be the future closer is crazy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Despite appearing in over 60 games the previous 2 seasons, Bummer didn’t make the Opening Day roster of the rebuilding 2019 White Sox. He had a great season when he was called up. But to say he is in line to be the future closer is crazy.

More crazy than not trading him for Joc, extending him to 5+2 years that RPs don't normally get? They're obviously high on him, and if there aren't better options available he will at least get a shot.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Totally unnecessary.

Not really. If they want to possibly use bummer to close his arb prices could sky rocket. Colome just got 10 million alone. 

Nothing wrong with locking a price in on a guy with one of the most unique skill sets in the game for a reliever. Could he fall off? Sure. But if he doesnt hes worth much more than 13.5

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What Bummer did last year generating GBs at that rate and with that velocity has only ever been matched by zach Britton. Bummer is much more unique than many here are giving him credit for.

• Like 5

There are loosely three potential futures for Bummer.

1)Closes games in the future with a 2ERA. In this scenario we make MASSIVE savings over arb and in the option years.

2) takes a small step back and is a 3era player - looking at what players like this are getting now we still gain value.

3) isn’t what we paid for due to performance or injuries. Well this is the risk you take aiming for the top two. Even then he still likely has some value and it isn’t a full sunk cost as we would have paid him something the next few years anyway. 

Side notes: using ERA to keep it simple

eye sight test:(im no scout) makes me believe if his sinker stays the same he’s going to perform

trade: Not that I would, but I believe this improves his trade value. 

I think this this is a massive EV win. Knowing he is around for a while will probably mean I get his name on a shirt at some point.

Edited by Colinski
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

I would say the Nate Jones deal was a complete disaster and I don't think it stopped them from doing anything. When they're this cheap, it's hard to see much downside.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They weren't contending during the Jones deal

You really think 16 mil spread out over 5 years is going to dent what exactly? Even if he falls off a cliff this year and isn’t good the entire contract his $ is just a drop in the bucket for a team that if in contention should be spending and is only league avg in spending 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I would say the Nate Jones deal was a complete disaster and I don't think it stopped them from doing anything. When they're this cheap, it's hard to see much downside.

We don’t know if it stopped them from doing anything because the payroll was so low for most of the duration of the contract. We do know they would have rather give up signing an international free agent than pay Nate his buyout.

There are already whispers JR put the kibosh on a Holt signing due to finances, and it is not like he required much quarantee

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

We don’t know if it stopped them from doing anything because the payroll was so low for most of the duration of the contract. We do know they would have rather give up signing an international free agent than pay Nate his buyout.

There are already whispers JR put the kibosh on a Holt signing due to finances, and it is not like he required much quarantine.

Yeah it's hard for me to buy that one. If the Sox are maxed out at this point, there's no hope.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think it’s good. Relievers have become super expensive in arb. They paid him upfront to avoid paying him $19-$20 million in his arb years. Smooths the commitment out. The club options are a possibly nice to have but beside the point.

They also can use him at closer now if need be without having to worry about ballooning salary.  This could end up being a huge steal for us.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

There is a good chance Bummer inherits the closer role after this year, which would make deal even better. Colome did make $23M in his arb years being a good not great closer.

Exactly, this gives us flexibility to use him as our closer and to do so potentially on the cheap.  I really love this move, but I also believe Bummer is a special reliever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah it's hard for me to buy that one. If the Sox are maxed out at this point, there's no hope.

Does seem weird, but we do know that sending pool money to pay buyouts has happened more than once, so apparently  the threshold for an amount being significant is still a lot lower for the White Sox than most MLB teams.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Does seem weird, but we do know that sending pool money to pay buyouts has happened more than once, so apparently  the threshold for an amount being significant is still a lot lower for the White Sox than most MLB teams.

It was pool money there weren’t going to use. I don’t really agree with the practice, but if you own something that you’re never going to use, you may as well sell it.