Aaron Bummer extended 5 years/16M (plus two options)

Kyyle23

To make a fan perspective view on extensions in general. 

We we can all buy shirts now with SOME (obviously trades)  expection these players will hang around. A’s fans hate that they can rarely do this. My next shirt will be a Bummer shirt, as I like having second tier players on my Jerseys.

Edited by Colinski

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is legitimately no reason to dislike this deal. 

Considering he isn’t a free agent until after the 2024 season, the volatility of pitchers health in general, and performance inconsistencies of relief pitchers in particular, I think most reasonable people would think therr possibly, maybe, perhaps, could be one or two.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Considering he isn’t a free agent until after the 2024 season, the volatility of pitchers health in general, and performance inconsistencies of relief pitchers in particular, I think most reasonable people would think therr possibly, maybe, perhaps, could be one or two.

So Bummer blows out his elbow in 2022 and never pitches again. Sox have lost $9.5M over two years. Not ideal, but certainly not a crippling situation. The upside far outweighed the downside. If Bummer starts closing games, he could outearn this entire contract in a single arb season. It’s a great move with very limited downside in case of disaster. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So Bummer blows out his elbow in 2022 and never pitches again. Sox have lost $9.5M over two years. Not ideal, but certainly not a crippling situation. The upside far outweighed the downside. If Bummer starts closing games, he could outearn this entire contract in a single arb season. It’s a great move with very limited downside in case of disaster. 

Even then it’s possible insurance would cover some of this cost too. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is a LHP with a league average K rate. How many successful closers the last 30 years can you say that about? John Franco off the top of my head is one. I can’t think of  another.  So the reality is he is going to be a 7th or 8th inning guy. Paying him through his arb years for this to be a bargain is going to mean he was awesome.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I just laugh sometimes at Sox Nation.   When they take care of their of their own: "This is so unnecessary."      Then on the other side :  "Why did they stop spending money and are not looking for patchwork fillers?"

Aaron Bummer was already controlled for the next 5 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't get the need to do this and to me it speaks to the paucity of funds expected going forward.  It's a needless commitment in hopes of saving what, 10 million at most if he's some stud setup guy?

If he's the future closer then it would make sense. 

Also there's very little on the books (outside of team friendly AAV deals for Jimenez, Robert and Anderson) after 2022 so there are still plenty of slots for big money deals even if the budget is only gonna be around 140.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Right, but not at $16 million for those 5 years. 

Maybe less. And if he gets hurt, a lot less. This insignificant sum he supposedly is guaranteed is probably less than the savings if he was tremendous the next 5 seasons going through arb, which would then make the savings also insignificant.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If he's the future closer then it would make sense. 

It does indeed, but that seems like at best a 50/50 proposition.  This is a bridge too far imo.  Paying Bummer's salary in arb if he's an elite closer on a playoff team should be ashtray money imo and not something you hedge against if you expect revenues and payroll to rise accordingly.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The Sox literally burned $13 million dollars in a fireplace when they acquired Alonso and Jay last year.  I am surprised anyone would be upset about this signing for a young reliever who could have closer potential.  If he repeats last season and gets a few saves, his trade value would be through the roof.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Aaron Bummer was already controlled for the next 5 seasons. 

Controlled, but not cost controlled.  There is a big difference there, especially with a reliever who could potentially be in the closing mix.  And let’s not ignore the two option years that could be significantly under-valued if things go as the Sox plan.  I just can’t get beyond people getting upset about locking up a young, LH reliever who just put up the second highest GB rate signing a 5 / $16M deal with two team friendly options.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox literally burned $13 million dollars in a fireplace when they acquired Alonso and Jay last year.  I am surprising anyone would be upset about this signing for a young reliever who could have closer potential.  If he repeats last season and gets a few saves, his trade value would be through the roof.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees, man.  This is a good deal.  Good or bad, the Sox aren't burned by it at all...people need to put there worries in other places beyond this.  

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox literally burned $13 million dollars in a fireplace when they acquired Alonso and Jay last year.  I am surprised anyone would be upset about this signing for a young reliever who could have closer potential.  If he repeats last season and gets a few saves, his trade value would be through the roof.

You...being...*gulp*...optimistic? 

;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How do those moves have anything to do with this one?  Those moves sucked.  This one imo isn't great either.  Doesn't suck, but it's not a on the face great move either.

39 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It does indeed, but that seems like at best a 50/50 proposition.  This is a bridge too far imo.  Paying Bummer's salary in arb if he's an elite closer on a playoff team should be ashtray money imo and not something you hedge against if you expect revenues and payroll to rise accordingly.

$10-12 mill will not be ashtray money.