Aaron Bummer extended 5 years/16M (plus two options)

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Tony said:

First off, I want to thank you for letting me know the Blackhawks won 3 Cups in the last decade. I wasn’t aware of those accomplishments, so I appreciate you keeping me honest.  Don’t know how I missed all that. 

Second, I’ve yet to see where I said anything about the White Sox “winning longer than the Blackhawks.” I’ve been plenty critical of the Sox FO where it’s warranted, but made it a point to clarify one area where they have been successful is extensions for young players. 

My point is fairly simple. You don’t think it’s smart to lock up Bummer to this contact with his limited experience. The Sox Front Office did. Based on their track records with extensions, it “not making sense to you” doesn’t really bother me. I’ll go with the Sox on this one.  

My opinion shouldn’t bother you but your statement that they have more data than me so I shouldn’t be anything but thrilled with anything  they do is curious, because you do criticize the Blackhawks and they probably have more data than you. So I guess Tony is the only one with less data that should ever be able to question anything.  

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I would say the Nate Jones deal was a complete disaster and I don't think it stopped them from doing anything. When they're this cheap, it's hard to see much downside.

Nate The Late Great is ready for a breakout with the Reds. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I would say the Nate Jones deal was a complete disaster and I don't think it stopped them from doing anything. When they're this cheap, it's hard to see much downside.

He was injured so often insurance probably picked up most of the contract so it didn't hurt the team much.

I guess I’ll just say that this isn’t particularly that interesting. If sox like him and think he could be closer, it has benefit of savings in years other salaries rise. If he falls, we are safely in the area where over paying isn’t much of an issue.

id blame the bizarre arbitration affinity for relievers for causing this. It’s not going to be hugely impactful, no where near in scale to recent extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess I’ll just say that this isn’t particularly that interesting. If sox like him and think he could be closer, it has benefit of savings in years other salaries rise. If he falls, we are safely in the area where over paying isn’t much of an issue.

id blame the bizarre arbitration affinity for relievers for causing this. It’s not going to be hugely impactful, no where near in scale to recent extensions.

Stop making so damn much sense.  That’s clearly not allowed here. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ron883 said:

If even Yoan4Moan didn't find something to complain about regarding a move, it is probably a good one

I complained about wasting money last year instead (i.e. Herrera, Alonso, Jay), which was much worse than this deal.  $31 million thrown in a fire.  Yes, Hahn does stupid things but I don’t think this deal will be one of them.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 2/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

There’s literally zero downside to this extension. Not counting the option years his AAV is $3.2M. That’s a drop in the pan

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

It's funny because while all teams are going to copy-cat now because it was valuable, just yesterday the Yankees beat writers were talking about how the Yankees may not lock up judge because their pre-fa extensions to Hicks and Severino have gone so poorly.

Just as is the case with scouting/trading/signing FA's, you still need to pick the right guys.

I find it really interesting that the Sox have not even attempted to lock up their arms - by all reports - because I think they view them as riskier commodities with their injury histories. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:18 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not surprised to see nothing was done here. The Sox seem to want a bigger discount on the pitching front due to the increased risk.

I wonder if he would be enticed at all with a Freddy Peralta type extension.  5 years for 15 + 2 option years at 10 million.. If I were Cease, I'd pass on something like that too