Sign in to follow this  
Kyyle23

Aaron Bummer extended 5 years/16M (plus two options)

Certainly not unwelcome but locking up a reliever for 7 years seems unnecessary?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

• Haha 2

I think it’s good. Relievers have become super expensive in arb. They paid him upfront to avoid paying him $19-$20 million in his arb years. Smooths the commitment out. The club options are a possibly nice to have but beside the point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like committing to relievers with only one good season. Seems like a dumb move. I know it's cheap, but those years on the back end could but a dent in this window if his performance goes south. Relievers are way too damn volatile. Good for Bummer though getting paid. 

There’s not much risk in this deal at all though. They’re essentially paying him slightly more than $3 million a year for the next 5 years. If he sucks by the end of the contract they just won’t pick up the club options. I like it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If an AAV of $3.2M is a dent on this rebuild, we suck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I don't know about this one. Relievers just aren't worth that kind of commitment anymore unless they are a lights out kind of guy with a good sized track record. . 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't know about this one. Relievers just aren't worth that kind of commitment anymore unless they are a lights out kind of guy with a good sized track record. . 

This is a relatively small monetary commitment 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

Certainly not unwelcome but locking up a reliever for 7 years seems unnecessary?

He literally got a contract with less money than Herrera last year.. Herrera got 2 years, Bummer 5..  Bummer >>>>> Herrera...

• Like 1

Unnecessary, unless they believe in him and saves them millions in the long run. Good for him, and if he implodes, it’s not crippling.

When we talk about locking up position players, the savings are usually happening in the club option/extension years.

But with bummer it’s happening in his arb 2/3 years, that flexibility is nice.

4 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

He literally got a contract with less money than Herrera last year.. Herrera got 2 years, Bummer 5..  Bummer >>>>> Herrera...

Right but the Sox already had control of Bummer at reduced from free agency costs for several seasons. Many of the same things that have been said about Bummer where said about Fry a year ago. I don’t think you would like this contract for Fry. And relievers who don’t pickup saves are not very expensive in arbitration.

Edited by Dick Allen

Bummer is one of the hardest workers on the club.  Good for him!  I like the Sox paying younger guys for performance.  It’s the wave of the future, rather than paying old guys for past performance.

There is a good chance Bummer inherits the closer role after this year, which would make deal even better. Colome did make $23M in his arb years being a good not great closer.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Fine with this, it’s cheap. He has 2 semi-decent years, this deal pays for itself. 

It also adds to trade value if that ever enters the equation.

• Like 3