Sox add 2021 option on Leury’s deal

ChiSox59

This is a “why not” moment for me. Cost is low and we get an extra year. Ideally the Rutherfords, Adolfo’s of this world over take him and its a small sunk cost. Worst case is he gets 400 at bats and we didn’t pay a lot for it. When those are your options you don’t have a lot to lose.

Basically all this does is add a $250k buyout on his already agreed upon 1/$3.25M. Honestly not really even sure why Leury would agree to this, but it’s good for the Sox. Leury is a great bench piece that can fill in for longer stretches if needed. He’ll be useful to have around again in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Colinski said:

This is a “why not” moment for me. Cost is low and we get an extra year. Ideally the Rutherfords, Adolfo’s of this world over take him and its a small sunk cost. Worst case is he gets 400 at bats and we didn’t pay a lot for it. When those are your options you don’t have a lot to lose.

What does a bench player being able to play everywhere have to do with Adolfo or Rutherford?

5 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Yoan Moncada and Lucas Giolito would like a word

I'm starting to think that next winter is when those guys sign their extensions. Both sides maximize certainty at that point. I think both guys want to re-sign but they're in no hurry to get their money right now because they believe in themselves. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm starting to think that next winter is when those guys sign their extensions. Both sides maximize certainty at that point. I think both guys want to re-sign but they're in no hurry to get their money right now because they believe in themselves

As they should

On 2/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I'm starting to think that next winter is when those guys sign their extensions. Both sides maximize certainty at that point. I think both guys want to re-sign but they're in no hurry to get their money right now because they believe in themselves. 

If you look in the spring training thread Not Steve Cishek is saying a Moncada extension is coming soon.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

Eh, Holt got similar money.

kinda mirrors my thoughts. Leury is fine. he has about that vlue on the team, but at the same time almost every year you can bargain hunt for $3.5mm and get a similar player. 

I like Leury and think he's worth about this, so don't really care either way - but kind of like hte Abreu move -- not sure it was necessary to extend someone for no reason. Both of their values would only go down this year, not up.

3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

kinda mirrors my thoughts. Leury is fine. he has about that vlue on the team, but at the same time almost every year you can bargain hunt for $3.5mm and get a similar player. 

I like Leury and think he's worth about this, so don't really care either way - but kind of like hte Abreu move -- not sure it was necessary to extend someone for no reason. Both of their values would only go down this year, not up.

First off, they didn't extend Leury.  He was already under control for 2020 for $3.25M.  They added a $3.5M CLUB OPTION for 2021, with a $250k buyout.  

And this is legitimately nothing like the Abreu move which was and remains a significant overpay.  

• Like 1

is the buyout at the end of this year or next?

didn't pay much attention but thought it was this year ... which would be dumb - basically guaranteeing more money for no reason.

And i stand by my comments - they are on a different scale, but neither did you have to even give an option or extension to. We've seen the best years from both guys, if anything Leury would be cheaper on the free market than $3.5mm next year. He's not going to improve his stock. 

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

didn't pay much attention but thought it was this year ... which would be dumb - basically guaranteeing more money for no reason.

And i stand by my comments - they are on a different scale, but neither did you have to even give an option or extension to. We've seen the best years from both guys, if anything Leury would be cheaper on the free market than $3.5mm next year. He's not going to improve his stock. 

Next year. Basically they said if the team wants him back they get him back at $3.5, but in exchange for him giving that up they gave him $250k.

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

You're complaining about 250 fucking k?

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

You're complaining about 250 fucking k?

yikes. aggressive. so angry. 

not about the money at all. it's about why would lock yourself in. guys like leury are a dime a dozen and cost the same or less. no reason to give a buyout or agree on a price for next year. 

Look at Scooter Gennett for example - what's his price? Who would you rather have - him or Leury? How about Brock Holt or Leury? Nothing to do with money, why give up flexibility for a guy like Leury .... it's just unnecessary move.

That's why it like the Abreu move on a different scale - Abreu isn't going to get more valuable, just less valuable. So extending him was unnecessary - just play it year to year and pay market value and/or see what else the market has to offer at the price.