Predict the OD Lineup

Chicago White Sox

We’re just over a month away from Opening Day so I thought now would be a good time for official lineup predictions.

Here is my official guess of what Ricky will trot out on Opening Day against the Royals:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Mazara, RF*
  8. Robert, CF
  9. Garcia, 2B#
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re just over a month away from Opening Day so I thought now would be a good time for official lineup predictions.

Here is my official guess of what Ricky will trot out on Opening Day against the Royals:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Mazara, RF*
  8. Robert, CF
  9. Garcia, 2B#

I think thats likely, 4-6 is up in the air imo

• Like 1

I would be surprised if Encarnacion isn't behind Abreu. Jose has spoke glowingly on him about protection in the lineup already. I can see Ricky accommodating that and then putting Grandal at 5. Then again, I'm surprised Ricky isn't batting Leury at the top so it's a start...

22 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I think thats likely, 4-6 is up in the air imo

Those three spots probably have the most uncertainty at the moment.  Grandal will definitely bat 4th or 5th against RHP, but I’m leaning towards 4th for now.  I also think Ricky will most likely bat EE behind Eloy to provide the younger guy with better protection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Mazara, RF*
  8. Robert, CF
  9. Garcia, 2B#

I think you nailed it. Good balance throughout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Mazara, RF*
  8. Robert, CF
  9. Garcia, 2B#

This. 

• Like 2

Why is Grandal batting fourth? Why is he batting ahead of Eloy and even Edwin? Eloy hit 3 more homeruns than Yasmani in 31 less games, as a rookie. I've seen analysts say he will hit 50 homeruns this year. That might be nuts but 40 is well within his ability. Hit him 4th, hit Edwin behind him, then Grandal with his .794 career OPS. This isn't to bash our new C, but there's no reason for him to cleanup on this team. The hell with handedness.

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

Still think my man Madrigal will be #9 in the lineup on OD.

I think there's a less than 10% chance that happens. They would have to agree to a contract extension. Madrigal is a good player but he's not Robert and the Sox are less likely to commit to him right now.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

6 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I think there's a less than 10% chance that happens. They would have to agree to a contract extension. Madrigal is a good player but he's not Robert and the Sox are less likely to commit to him right now.

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think that 7th year really matters for someone like Madrigal who likely won't figure to receive a huge payday in FA like Robert or Jimenez would

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think that 7th year really matters for someone like Madrigal who likely won't figure to receive a huge payday in FA like Robert or Jimenez would

Meh, it's bad business to to sacrifice a year of control for 7 games.

20 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I agree there. I’m just not convinced that, if he starts in AAA, he gets called up as early as possible in mid-April. I think they would wait until May so as to not arouse service time suspicion

35 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's not bad business when you take care of your own; I would argue the exact opposite. I think it's bad business to exploit your workers and let them know you're doing it. You get Kris Bryant level fall outs between players and FO when you do that. 

We have all had this argument plenty so there's no need to rehash, but service time exploitation is against the rules and the Sox should stop doing it immediately. 

• Love 3

I like starting out with Robert 8 to keep pressure off while we see how he adjusts to MLB.  An added bonus is after Madrigal assumes the 9 slot.  They batted 1-2 with each other last year so they will have some familiarity with each other.  I can see Robert on first and Madrigal manipulating the ball as needed.  His naturalish stroke to RF produces first and thirds or a score if Robert is on second.  If you defensively shift to the right side, the third baseman is in a short stop position, Madrigal could bunt up third them to death.  

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not bad business when you take care of your own; I would argue the exact opposite. I think it's bad business to exploit your workers and let them know you're doing it. You get Kris Bryant level fall outs between players and FO when you do that. 

We have all had this argument plenty so there's no need to rehash, but service time exploitation is against the rules and the Sox should stop doing it immediately. 

Until there are actual rules against it, they should continue to do it because everyone else does it and it would put the Sox at a huge disadvantage to not do it.  Sox have done right by their guys giving them unheard of monster extensions before ever having played a game in the big leagues. Punting a prime year of Madrigal for like 10 games in March and April in his rookie season when you have a perfectly suitable guy in Leury to fill in would be straight idiotic.  Which is why it won't happen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Until there are actual rules against it, they should continue to do it because everyone else does it and it would put the Sox at a huge disadvantage to not do it.  Sox have done right by their guys giving them unheard of monster extensions before ever having played a game in the big leagues. Punting a prime year of Madrigal for like 10 games in March and April in his rookie season when you have a perfectly suitable guy in Leury to fill in would be straight idiotic.  Which is why it won't happen.  

There are rules against it, just as an FYI. I don't know why people continue to say there are not; it is written within the CBA it is just not defined in a way that allows the arbiter to side with the players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There are rules against it, just as an FYI. I don't know why people continue to say there are not; it is written within the CBA it is just not defined in a way that allows the arbiter to side with the players. 

Right, so there are no clear rules against it.  There aren't rules against something that is undefined.  You can say "serve time manipulation is prohibited!!!" until you're purple in the face, but if you can't define what exactly service time manipulation is, there isn't a rule.  You can make tons of arguments that Madrigal should be in the minors to start the year, and until MLB formulates something that clearly defines MLB-readiness, there is no defined rules against it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a very firm believer in acting in good faith as an employer; I think it is a staple of being a quality and respected employer in an industry.

I do not feel that baseball FO's are acting in good faith by exploiting service time. Just because something isn't defined thoroughly does not give one an excuse to not act in good faith. 

• Like 1