Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

• bmags unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

And a few posters here will be served delicious crow if he is indeed right (he was the first to break the news).

But I would say still take his shit with a grain of salt because he isn't exactly beholden to anyone to vet his info

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

@Y2Jimmy has nailed basically everything this offseason, so I expect this to happen.

That would be a quite a commitment from the Sox. 

There's a decent amount of risk in that 9/171 proposal for sure. But if Moncada stays healthy, I am fairly confident that he'll put up 6-8 WAR seasons throughout his prime, so it would be a smart move IMO. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

@Y2Jimmy has nailed basically everything this offseason, so I expect this to happen.

That would be a quite a commitment from the Sox. 

It would be, but it would be a steal considering what other players of his caliber ( or worse) have gotten.

• Like 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

It would be, but it would be a steal considering what other players of his caliber ( or worse) have gotten.

I mean, Moncada has had one good season that was very inflated due to unsustainable babip.  I love the guy.  I hope we extend him.  I hope we extend him now because I don't see him getting any cheaper.  7/$133M seems a tad steep, especially when you're escalating it up to $18M in his arb3 year.  Again, I wouldn't be mad about it, but it certainly isn't any semblance of a discount.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, Moncada has had one good season that was very inflated due to unsustainable babip.  I love the guy.  I hope we extend him.  I hope we extend him now because I don't see him getting any cheaper.  7/$133M seems a tad steep, especially when you're escalating it up to $18M in his arb3 year.  Again, I wouldn't be mad about it, but it certainly isn't any semblance of a discount.  

Even if the 9/$171M figure is true, that’s only $19M a year for a guy who will be in his prime for pretty much the entire contract. Sign me up for that. 

• Like 4

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think something like this makes more sense:

$5M signing bonus.

2020: $1M

2021: $5M

2022: $10M

2023: $14M

2024: $18M

2025: $20M

2026: $22M

2027 team option: $24M ($4M buyout)

2028 team option: $26M ($4M buyout)

That is 7/$99M guaranteed, with the chance to take it to 9/$145M if the options are picked up.  Extends three FA years, plus 2 more options years.  

Seems a little more like something that could give the Sox a little more incentive to get this done.  The proposed deal by the MLBburner just doesn't seem like a move that creates a ton of value for the Sox, beyond simply just ensuring you have Moncada on the roster. 

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Even if the 9/$171M figure is true, that’s only $19M a year for a guy who will be in his prime for pretty much the entire contract. Sign me up for that. 

Also while discounts are great, There is no cliff for this team which is excellent. They don’t have to worry about time bomb years as they move to get the final pieces.

10 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Sure, but you're paying him $650k in 2020.  He'll get a raise to $4-5M or so in 2021.  He is going to have to be one of hte best 10-15 players in baseball (and to be clear, he has the talent to be and already probably was in 2019) for the Sox to not be paying him MORE via this proposed extension in 22-23 than he would make via the arb process.  

The sox have traditionally done these extensions to create value.  The proposed deal doesn't create a ton of value for the club unless Moncada is a straight superstar - but it also comes from a guy (MLBburner) with questionable validity, so I'll wait to see the actual terms before putting much more thought into it.

Definitely hope they can get it done!   

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, but you're paying him $650k in 2020.  He'll get a raise to $4-5M or so in 2021.  He is going to have to be one of hte best 10-15 players in baseball (and to be clear, he has the talent to be and already probably was in 2019) for the Sox to not be paying him via this proposed extension in 22-23 than he would make via the arb process.  

The sox have traditionally done these extensions to create value.  The proposed deal doesn't create a ton of value for the club unless Moncada is a straight superstar - but it also comes from a guy with questionable validity, so I'll wait to see the terms before putting much more thought into it.

I don't think they created much value with Robert tbh.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, but you're paying him $650k in 2020.  He'll get a raise to $4-5M or so in 2021.  He is going to have to be one of hte best 10-15 players in baseball (and to be clear, he has the talent to be and already probably was in 2019) for the Sox to not be paying him MORE via this proposed extension in 22-23 than he would make via the arb process.  

The sox have traditionally done these extensions to create value.  The proposed deal doesn't create a ton of value for the club unless Moncada is a straight superstar - but it also comes from a guy (MLBburner) with questionable validity, so I'll wait to see the actual terms before putting much more thought into it.

If this gets done, the Sox will have a legit 6 or 7 year window of contention. While I see your argument, I’m fine with the deal even if it’s not “team friendly”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't think they created much value with Robert tbh.

I remember reading that some agents agree with this. For what they were willing to pay, they should have gotten at least one more free agent year out of the deal. Obviously it would be more than $88 mill at that point though. 

Edited by soxfan2014