Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

For a young player he’s had a non trivial amount of injuries. How will his body respond in 5-6y? Not everyone can eat 2 dominos pizzas per night and wake up looking like Luis Robert 

Some people like pizza, others like Twinkies.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/yoan-moncada-eats-up-to-85-twinkies-a-week-c220750934

I’d worry about Eloy’s shape and nagging injuries before I’d worry about Moncada and Robert.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Some people like pizza, others like Twinkies.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/yoan-moncada-eats-up-to-85-twinkies-a-week-c220750934

I’d worry about Eloy’s shape and nagging injuries before I’d worry about Moncada and Robert.

I’m not concerned about Robert. I’m concerned about Moncada based on previous injury history at ages when you should be the healthiest of your career.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they will prioritize one more “core” piece with their 1st next year and starting pitching  is probably our biggest need.  Also, it sounds like that is where the depth is where we’ll be picking.

Not counting Rodon or the high school kids... Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Dunning, Stiever, Lambert, Flores, Pilkington... our biggest weakness is in the lower minors. I just don't see it personally but I suppose they 'could' do it one last time (maybe prioritize a college LHP) and then go prep the next two picks similar to last draft. I personally would just like to get a 1st round talent prep player in this organization. 

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I’m not concerned about Robert. I’m concerned about Moncada based on previous injury history at ages when you should be the healthiest of your career.

Much of it was shin splints wasn’t it?  This could be solved by fixing his training regimen.

12 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

For a young player he’s had a non trivial amount of injuries. How will his body respond in 5-6y? Not everyone can eat 2 dominos pizzas per night and wake up looking like Luis Robert 

You can be skeptical about being scared of Moncada regressing cause of his BABIP. Or being a bit of a b**** regarding (soft tissue) injuries. But his overall fitness is waaaaay down on the list. Other than Robert and Kopech he's probably the most fit guy on the team and always takes care of himself in that regard. Has a bit of a "pretty boy" vibe to me which only helps as well (gotta look good for the ladies).

Edited by SoxAce

15 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I kind of agree here. Not enough to not be interested in extending him or anything, but I do worry a bit about a comfy Moncada working less on his game, and I also think he’s unlikely to consistently play 150+ games with the way he’s always acting like he’s seriously injured whenever he stubs a toe. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I kind of agree here. Not enough to not be interested in extending him or anything, but I do worry a bit about a comfy Moncada working less on his game, and I also think he’s unlikely to consistently play 150+ games with the way he’s always acting like he’s seriously injured whenever he stubs a toe. 

He said his fitness though which is way different. If he was getting fatter per year then he'd have a case. 

16 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He said his fitness though which is way different. If he was getting fatter per year then he'd have a case. 

I’m ok if everyone is pedantic over my word choice, but I think most of you understood my original point. There’s risk with all long term contracts, it’s just something that I think is a risk.

31 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not counting Rodon or the high school kids... Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Dunning, Stiever, Lambert, Flores, Pilkington... our biggest weakness is in the lower minors. I just don't see it personally but I suppose they 'could' do it one last time (maybe prioritize a college LHP) and then go prep the next two picks similar to last draft. I personally would just like to get a 1st round talent prep player in this organization. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be perfectly fine with a prep in the 1st.  I just think they’ll want to add another arm with TOR potential if available.  Not sure if any of the arms in the minors, excluding Kopech if you count him, truly have that type of a ceiling (still a bit early to make that call on Dalquist & Thompson IMO).

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Much of it was shin splints wasn’t it?  This could be solved by fixing his training regimen.

Not sure if it was shin splints, thought it was his hammy, but he did say very recently he changed his conditioning regimen in the offseason to hopefully prevent issues this season. Guess we'll find out.

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Wake me up when he gets a story correct :)

When I saw the Not Steve Cishek post about it I was thinking well we will see a James Fox post soon about it. I was thinking for a while James was Cisheks source but now i think they have the same source and NOT SC just gets the info 1st.. That's exactly how it went with the Robert extension . Not Steve followed by James.

2 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Odds are he'll be great in 5-6 years.

I don't even care if it's a bit of an overpay. The kid is great and has earned some good money.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When I saw the Not Steve Cishek post about it I was thinking well we will see a James Fox post soon about it. I was thinking for a while James was Cisheks source but now i think they have the same source and NOT SC just gets the info 1st.. That's exactly how it went with the Robert extension . Not Steve followed by James.

That's a good point. Never thought that. And really by now  you should realize NOT SC does have something going on. He's definitely got an insider or source.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you assume he agrees to a six year extension, here is how long our positional core would be controlled for:

• Abreu = 2022
  • Grandal = 2023
  • Anderson = 2024
  • Moncada = 2025
  • Jimenez = 2026
  • Madrigal = 2026
  • Robert = 2027
  • Vaughn = 2027

That would be absolute insanity.

:sweaty:

• Like 2

However this deal is being structured, I do hope that it will keep him under Sox control, through this window of contention, but not so long that he lacks sufficient incentive to play for another contract. Perhaps an opt out after 2027, or simply a deal which expires after that season. Having him through his age 31 season would be great. Conceptually, this strategy of paying for the prime years, while maintaining control, seems much more sensible than paying for declining years of production, and being saddled with an albatross contract for a player in his very late 30's. 

• Like 1

Moncada showed huge strides last season offensively and defensively.  There's never really been an argument about his tools, and last season he seemed to figure a lot out.  Even if he reverts a bit this season and ends up being a good-to-great third baseman that can hit .280ish while hitting 25 HRs and knocking in 80+ runs a season, he'd be worth every penny of the rumored extensions.  There's not a lot of evidence that he's going to fall off a cliff.  He didn't have a great couple months and a bad couple months that evened out to a nice season.  He was really good all season.  The risk of not extending him now is most likely losing him when he's 26-27 years old.  Think about the contracts Harper and Machado got and figure that's where Moncada's offers start.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Moncada showed huge strides last season offensively and defensively.  There's never really been an argument about his tools, and last season he seemed to figure a lot out.  Even if he reverts a bit this season and ends up being a good-to-great third baseman that can hit .280ish while hitting 25 HRs and knocking in 80+ runs a season, he'd be worth every penny of the rumored extensions.  There's not a lot of evidence that he's going to fall off a cliff.  He didn't have a great couple months and a bad couple months that evened out to a nice season.  He was really good all season.  The risk of not extending him now is most likely losing him when he's 26-27 years old.  Think about the contracts Harper and Machado got and figure that's where Moncada's offers start.

Right. I think the obsession with getting a good deal is blinding people to the benefit of just guaranteeing you have him on your team beyond FA.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right. I think the obsession with getting a good deal is blinding people to the benefit of just guaranteeing you have him on your team beyond FA.

Exactly, and the cost of a prime free agent year is much more than some people imagine.  To be able to get two or three of those at $30M per would be a huge win for us.

• Like 1

I agree. The primary objection to these big, long term free agent deals, is the tail end of the contracts, when a team is saddled with a very expensive, underperforming contract. The strategy of locking up a player, through his best prime years is much more appealing. There is always risk, but this is relatively less risky. 

• Like 1