Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

1 hour ago, mqr said:

DVS's tweet would seem to indicate this

Yeah, just saw that: Which is pretty standard procedure in these things - especially given the fact that Yoan is currently playing and it's during "season" in a way. 

I don't want to speak for every player/agent relationship in these matters, but from the little first hand information I do have, this is typically how the process would work.

Yoan Moncada said he’s not aware of discussions re long term extension. Leaving that to agent. Said he’s very comfortable as a White Sox and envisions being here for long time.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

his agent certainly told him not to talk about ANYTHING contract related in public and to simply answer "that's what my agent is for".  not much to take from that quote imo.

Yeah; 

1. He's not going to give up leverage by proclaiming his affinity for signing. 

2. He's not going to build up the hopes of a fanbase with the possibility that nothing gets done and he is vilified after saying he would do anything to stay here.

17 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I am not worried about Moncada's quotes. I am more worried about Fegan saying that White Sox sources have pushed back on the idea that an extension is being discussed.

Same with the White Sox FO, they are not going to say anything that will jeopardize or lose there upper hand so they are most likely going to either deny it or say they are backing off or not say anything at all.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Same with the White Sox, they are not going to say anything that will jeapardize or lose there upper hand so they are most likely going to deny it or say they are backing off. 

They have been very direct this year. For moves in the works, they have simply stayed silent 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

they'd be giving up leverage even hinting at a deal in the works.  So nobody will talk about it.  At all.

All I’m saying is that they made no comment during Robert negotiations. But for this one through Fegan they pushed back

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

All I’m saying is that they made no comment during Robert negotiations. But for this one through Fegan they pushed back

The Robert rumor also didn't take place while they were all in camp in front of reporters every single day. 

I didn't see any reports of the team being directly asked about the Robert rumor. 

Just now, Lillian said:

For either side to acknowledge any of this would be very foolish. Just imagine the endless questions, which would ensue. It would become a distraction of nightmare proportions. 

Not just the questions, but by admitting a negotiation is going on you open yourself up for ridicule and blow back if an agreement isn't reached. 

By denying the discussions are taking place, you are protecting both the player and the organization from fan/public backlash should it fall through. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Some of you take all these statements way too much at face value. What kind of advantage does it serve both the White Sox or the Yoan camp to acknowledge that they are working on an extension?

None, but Yoan is still practically implying it by stating he wants to be here for a long time, but he is leaving that to his agent. He's not taking the Bryant route of "I like it here a lot, but I'm also going to pursue my worth in FA."

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Moncada is clearly happy in Chicago and that's necessary to get a deal done but not sufficient.  That's where JR comes in with his check book.  Moncada is the best young Sox position player since...Robin?  (Robin's 92 season at age 24 looks ALOT like Moncada's age 23 season.) This isn't a time to pinch pennies.  Pay the man what he's worth.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moncada is clearly happy in Chicago and that's necessary to get a deal done but not sufficient.  That's where JR comes in with his check book.  Moncada is the best young Sox position player since...Robin?  (Robin's 92 season at age 24 looks ALOT like Moncada's age 23 season.) This isn't a time to pinch pennies.  Pay the man what he's worth.

Magglio was pretty damn good. 

I'm actually not that worried about his bat. I'd like to see his glove play ++ for another year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

“If my agent calls me and tells me there is something, then we’ll consider it,” Moncada said through translator Billy Russo.

Moncada changed his agency this year to Movement Management Group. He said he was unaware of ongoing talks between them and the Sox, although it has been assumed for some time that they are happening. Indications are he wasn’t being coy.

“Honestly, I don’t pay too much attention to that,” Moncada said. “My focus is just in the game and preparing myself to be in the best position that I can be for the season. Just work hard. That’s my goal right now.”

• Like 1