Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

My thoughts are this:

We'll have thoughts and opinions when this is finalized and people will either say it's a great or terrible extension and the truth will be unknown because we have no idea haha. let's just hope we can keep a core together and that yoan continues to develop into a great player who has a long career with the Sox. 

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

My thoughts are this:

We'll have thoughts and opinions when this is finalized and people will either say it's a great or terrible extension and the truth will be unknown because we have no idea haha. let's just hope we can keep a core together and that yoan continues to develop into a great player who has a long career with the Sox. 

As my best buddy said yesterday via text:

"I love what we're doing, and I think these guys are going to be great, but the thought of even 2 of them becoming complete busts is certainly scary. There's no going back or backing out once they've pushed them all in."

20 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not sure if it was shin splints, thought it was his hammy, but he did say very recently he changed his conditioning regimen in the offseason to hopefully prevent issues this season. Guess we'll find out.

Aug 22, 2019 Missed 22 games (strained right hamstring).
Aug 01, 2019 Strained right hamstring, 10-day injured list (retroactive to July 31st, 2019).
Jun 29, 2019 Missed 1 game (sore right knee).
Jun 28, 2019 Sore right knee, day-to-day.
Jun 16, 2019 Missed 4 games (back injury).
Jun 11, 2019 Back injury, day-to-day.
Jun 04, 2019 Missed 1 game (leg injury).
Jun 02, 2019 Leg injury, day-to-day.
Sep 14, 2018 Missed 1 game (hip injury).
Sep 12, 2018 Hip injury, day-to-day.
Aug 15, 2018 Missed 1 game (dental).
Aug 14, 2018 Dental, day-to-day.
May 15, 2018 Missed 7 games (left hamstring injury).
May 05, 2018 Left hamstring injury, 10-day DL.
May 04, 2018 Missed 1 game (left hamstring injury).
May 03, 2018 Left hamstring injury, day-to-day.

27 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Look at the body of work over those 6-7 years.  Last offseason’s acquisitions outside of McCann were awful as well.

At least we don’t have to talk about that stuff anymore now that the new plan and direction are front and center

Edited by Jerksticks

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Look at the body of work over those 6-7 years.  Last offseason’s acquisitions outside of McCann were awful as well.

So how can the same people be bad GMs and know nothing, yet know what they are doing and make good moves now?

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Very cool that MLBTradeRumors is citing @Y2Jimmy0 on this.  There is some real smoke here despite how badly the Sox / Moncada want to downplay it for now.

I don't doubt there have been discussions, and the sides are getting closer to a deal.  Doing this soon makes sense for Moncada, but it makes A LOT of sense for the Sox.  Both sides are saying what they should be.  Downplaying it and trying to keep as many details as possible out of the news.  No one from either side is going to say, "Oh yeah, we're working on an extension.  Expect to hear more soon."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

So how can the same people be bad GMs and know nothing, yet know what they are doing and make good moves now?

This is a pathetic attempt at trolling. I'm glad KW/Hahn got the ship in order, but no team should go 12 years+ in between playoff appearances. They did not get fired and they improved their operation (thank god!), but there are a lot of worthy people in this world who could step into the white sox baseball GM job after 2012 and not taken 8 years to get us to the point we have a competitive team. I'm glad Hahn learned from the mistakes of the previous 16 years he had been in the org by the time he shifted gears in 2017.

But yeah, people change! But this job is a tremendous, rare commodity and it's fair to expect results. We can't all be Jim Boylen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Probably due to their shift or change in strategy.  Maybe identifying top prospects to acquire is more obvious and easier than signing mediocre veterans and hoping they are productive?

Why was Theo Epstein good at developing offensive prospects and smaller acquisitions and trades but awful at developing pitching and making larger trades and acquisitions for high-priced players?

Some GMs are good in certain areas and awful in others.  For the most part, Hahn has been great at working team-friendly contracts but awful at free agency in most years.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't doubt there have been discussions, and the sides are getting closer to a deal.  Doing this soon makes sense for Moncada, but it makes A LOT of sense for the Sox.  Both sides are saying what they should be.  Downplaying it and trying to keep as many details as possible out of the news.  No one from either side is going to say, "Oh yeah, we're working on an extension.  Expect to hear more soon."

Exactly, there is zero benefit to be honest right now.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

This is a pathetic attempt at trolling. I'm glad KW/Hahn got the ship in order, but no team should go 12 years+ in between playoff appearances. They did not get fired and they improved their operation (thank god!), but there are a lot of worthy people in this world who could step into the white sox baseball GM job after 2012 and not taken 8 years to get us to the point we have a competitive team. I'm glad Hahn learned from the mistakes of the previous 16 years he had been in the org by the time he shifted gears in 2017.

But yeah, people change! But this job is a tremendous, rare commodity and it's fair to expect results. We can't all be Jim Boylen.

This wasn't an attempt at trolling, I've never done that over the 15 years I've been on this board, rather to make posters look at the bigger picture. Maybe it wasn't solely the decisions of the FO guiding the previous philosophy. Maybe they had orders from someone above them to not do a rebuild. Once they were allowed to maybe, it's not over yet, but maybe they had the right philosophy all along.