Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not really a cap guy Cali you'd have to ask one of our resident wonks but I'd say given how fast revenues are rising payrolls of 150 million aren't what they used to be as far as expenditures.  150 million seems like the new 100 million.

Even if I go with $128M that puts us 18th out of 30 teams and very close to the highest opening day payroll in Sox history which was $129M in 2011.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

There's always some line items i can't follow but I think the Spottrac version probably captures most of it, and that lists $120m.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/payroll/

Roster resource still is still the same as it was on Jan.10th which was $128M .

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Roster resource still is still the same as it was on Jan.10th which was $128M .

That could be the luxury tax number which is higher since some contracts like Robert and Jiminez inflate over time and the luxury tax number is the average?

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That could be the luxury tax number which is higher since some contracts like Robert and Jiminez inflate over time and the luxury tax number is the average?

I don't think so because the same resource had our luxury tax at like $165 M and CSN Chicago had an article on Jan. 10th that used the same source to say it was $128M.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-avoid-arbitration-five-players-2020-payroll-comes-focus

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/white-sox

It's right at the top of the page but a lot farther down it gives the luxury tax number as $165M wihich i copied and pasted in my post above.

I had looked at Sporttrac but I couldn't find everything added up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Even though Moncada does have an insane BABIP, he hits the ball so hard it could be elevated throughout his young career.

I extend him through his late twenties in the range they're discussing. I don't care about $130 vs. $171 over 7 years. $5 extra million per year for one player I think will be a once in a lifetime player for the Sox is worth the risk. Reinsdorf has $$$$ and no risk is no reward.

For once, how about we be the franchise that just spends the damned money on everyone and worries about regretting it later?

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fake ass insider Not Steve Cishek tweeted last night things had gone "silent" on purpose, just the way the Sox prefer it blah blah blah.

Again, I don't think an extension is happening for either Moncada or Giolito until the coming winter. Too much risk on the Sox side after only one good year, too much risk on the player side giving away FA years for not enough. It just doesn't make sense for either party at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, I don't think an extension is happening for either Moncada or Giolito until the coming winter. Too much risk on the Sox side after only one good year, too much risk on the player side giving away FA years for not enough. It just doesn't make sense for either party at this point. 

Plus, Moncada isn't having a great spring which obviously is scaring the team and Jack!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Plus, Moncada isn't having a great spring which obviously is scaring the team and Jack!

You do know that Moncada and Giolito are my two favorite players on the team, right??

I corrected myself about Moncada the other day. It's expected that he starts spring slowly because it takes him a bit to get his timing back vs. live pitching. Has been a pattern every time he's been injured. 

25 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I wonder if this effects Moncada’s price

hard not to see that deal as good news. They had similar leverage, less leverage, a player with more production.  I don't know, we'll see.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

hard not to see that deal as good news. They had similar leverage, less leverage, a player with more production.  I don't know, we'll see.

This is a really interesting deal.

Yelich was already signed thru 31. The brewers didnt need to extend him because they're not buying out any years. They are basically guaranteeing him big money for 31/32-37. I love it even if it's not really a bargain for the brewers at all.

After an off season of the brewers crying poor and not supporting their on field product - letting a star walk - despite back to back winning years, they finally invest heavily at market value in a star. Even if he was already signed this year, good on them for investing in their on field product. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You do know that Moncada and Giolito are my two favorite players on the team, right??

I corrected myself about Moncada the other day. It's expected that he starts spring slowly because it takes him a bit to get his timing back vs. live pitching. Has been a pattern every time he's been injured. 

Jack, I'm just busting your chops. I know you like those guys a lot.

Moncada's underwhelming Spring continues. He is not helping himself. It may turn out to be a blessing, in disguise for the front office, even if no one takes Spring Training performance very seriously. Poor performance is probably more meaningful than outstanding performance. Facing a lot of Minor League arms, can inflate a hitter's Spring stats, but not being able to excel against mediocre pitching is not a good sign, especially in that dry Arizona air, in which it's hard to get pitches to break.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Moncada's underwhelming Spring continues. He is not helping himself. It may turn out to be a blessing, in disguise for the front office, even if no one takes Spring Training performance very seriously. Poor performance is probably more meaningful than outstanding performance. Facing a lot of Minor League arms, can inflate a hitter's Spring stats, but not being able to excel against mediocre pitching is not a good sign, especially in that dry Arizona air, in which it's hard to get pitches to break.

Is this a serious post? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Is this a serious post? 

Yes, I was being serious. Although, I qualified my comments by admitting that limited Spring Training stats are not very meaningful, Moncada's completely underwhelming performance may not help his negotiating position. His offense has been completely absent, in his first 18 at bats. He isn't even making hard contact. He's healthy, been in camp the whole time, and even showed up early. I hope that he gets going soon.  

I know that I shouldn't over react, but he does look pretty lost, at the plate. There will be many times, during the season, when even great hitters will go through such slumps, but I'd like to think that it would at least be against really good pitching, not a bunch of Minor League arms. If he had a longer track record, I'd be much less concerned, but he looks more like the 2018 version, than the 2019 version, especially his reversion back to taking close pitches, with 2 strikes. Again, I don't get overly optimistic about a guy having a great Spring, considering the circumstances, but I'd like to see the best players giving a better account of themselves, than what Yoan has been doing.

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, I was being serious. Although, I qualified my comments by admitting that limited Spring Training stats are not very meaningful, Moncada's completely underwhelming performance may not help his negotiating position. His offense has been completely absent, in his first 18 at bats. He isn't even making hard contact. He's healthy, been in camp the whole time, and even showed up early. I hope that he gets going soon.  I know that I shouldn't over react, but he does look pretty lost, at the plate. There will be many times, during the season, when even great hitters will go through such slumps, but I'd like to think that it would at least be against really good pitching, not a bunch of Minor League arms. 

His spring training performance will have zero impact on any potential extension.

• Like 1