Sox in Discussions for Moncada Extension per Y2Jimmy

bmags

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is happening? Has it been so long since the Sox competed that people have forgotten how to act and are being serious when talking concern about 18 ST AB's?

Everyone should take Moncada's ST stats with a grain of salt every year. He's a repetition/feel based hitter and every time he got hurt it would take him 5-10 games to get his mojo back. Talk to me if he's still scuffling at the end of ST. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone should take Moncada's ST stats with a grain of salt every year. He's a repetition/feel based hitter and every time he got hurt it would take him 5-10 games to get his mojo back. Talk to me if he's still scuffling at the end of ST. 

also a switch hitter which yea, makes it tougher at the start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Yes, I was being serious. Although, I qualified my comments by admitting that limited Spring Training stats are not very meaningful, Moncada's completely underwhelming performance may not help his negotiating position. His offense has been completely absent, in his first 18 at bats. He isn't even making hard contact. He's healthy, been in camp the whole time, and even showed up early. I hope that he gets going soon.  

I know that I shouldn't over react, but he does look pretty lost, at the plate. There will be many times, during the season, when even great hitters will go through such slumps, but I'd like to think that it would at least be against really good pitching, not a bunch of Minor League arms. If he had a longer track record, I'd be much less concerned, but he looks more like the 2018 version, than the 2019 version, especially his reversion back to taking close pitches, with 2 strikes. Again, I don't get overly optimistic about a guy having a great Spring, considering the circumstances, but I'd like to see the best players giving a better account of themselves, than what Yoan has been doing.

It's spring training. None of this matters. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lillian said:

Yes, I was being serious. Although, I qualified my comments by admitting that limited Spring Training stats are not very meaningful, Moncada's completely underwhelming performance may not help his negotiating position. His offense has been completely absent, in his first 18 at bats. He isn't even making hard contact. He's healthy, been in camp the whole time, and even showed up early. I hope that he gets going soon.  

I know that I shouldn't over react, but he does look pretty lost, at the plate. There will be many times, during the season, when even great hitters will go through such slumps, but I'd like to think that it would at least be against really good pitching, not a bunch of Minor League arms. If he had a longer track record, I'd be much less concerned, but he looks more like the 2018 version, than the 2019 version, especially his reversion back to taking close pitches, with 2 strikes. Again, I don't get overly optimistic about a guy having a great Spring, considering the circumstances, but I'd like to see the best players giving a better account of themselves, than what Yoan has been doing.

Totally