Orlando

26th man ?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the 26th spot?

• Yermin
    • Zack Collins
    • Cuthbert
    • Other

I have a feeling that Delmonico will soon be added to this discussion. The history Stone shared yesterday, about Nickey'sĀ painful injury and how he is now feeling 100%, coupled with his positive mechanical changes, working with Menechino, were all a revelation to me. At this early point in the season, I'd favor either Mercedes or Delmonico. Once Madrigal is added to the 26 man roster, I'd like to see the 4 bench players consist of Engel, Leury, McCann and one of those two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I have a feeling that Delmonico will soon be added to this discussion. The history Stone shared yesterday, about Nickey'sĀ painful injury and how he is now feeling 100%, coupled with his positive mechanical changes, working with Menechino, were all a revelation to me. At this early point in the season, I'd favor either Mercedes or Delmonico. Once Madrigal is added to the 26 man roster, I'd like to see the 4 bench players consist of Engel, Leury, McCann and one of those two.

Mendick is our primary reserve IF and I really donā€™t see that changing. Ā If anyone were to get bumped for Delmonico it would likely be Engel and that seems incredibly unlikely. Ā And the only chance for Mercedes to make the team is with a five man bench IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mendick is our primary reserve IF and I really donā€™t see that changing. Ā If anyone were to get bumped for Delmonico it would likely be Engel and that seems incredibly unlikely. Ā And the only chance for Mercedes to make the team is with a five man bench IMO.

Again, once Madrigal is added, I would expect Leury to be the primary reserve infielder. He should be ahead of Mendick, especially considering that Leury has a $3,5Ā Million contract. I think Mendick returns to Charlotte, once Madrigal is given second base. Engel is a better choice forĀ the 4TH outfielder, to provide late inning defense, as well as a possible platoon partner for Mazara. I don't see the Sox carrying a 5TH Bench player. I think there will be 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Again, once Madrigal is added, I would expect Leury to be the primary reserve infielder. He should be ahead of Mendick, especially considering that Leury has a $3,5Ā Million contract. I think Mendick returns to Charlotte, once Madrigal is given second base. Engel is a better choice forĀ the 4TH outfielder, to provide late inning defense, as well as a possible platoon partner for Mazara. I don't see the Sox carrying a 5TH Bench player. I think there will be 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

I really donā€™t think the Sox plan on using Leury as the primary reserve IF. Ā Iā€™m almost certain that role will go to Mendick. Ā Once Madrigal is up, Leuryā€™s role should be platoon RF and versatile utilityĀ guy. Ā Engel will likely be the final bench piece as Robertā€™s main backup and late inning defensive replacement for Eloy and/or Mazara. Ā I would honestly be shocked at this point if those guys and McCann werenā€™t our bench come May.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really donā€™t think the Sox plan on using Leury as the primary reserve IF. Ā Iā€™m almost certain that role will go to Mendick. Ā Once Madrigal is up, Leuryā€™s role should be platoon RF and versatile utilityĀ guy. Ā Engel will likely be the final bench piece as Robertā€™s main backup and late inning defensive replacement for Eloy and/or Mazara. Ā I would honestly be shocked at this point if those guys and McCann werenā€™t our bench come May.

That wouldn't be my choice, but you may be right. It will be interesting to see how well some of these guys perform, this Spring, and what they ultimately decide to do with the roster. I personally don't think that there is enough difference in the offense, between Leury and Engel, versus LHP, to give the platoon role to Leury. I prefer Engels defense.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That wouldn't be my choice, but you may be right. It will be interesting to see how well some of these guys perform, this Spring, and what they ultimately decide to do with the roster. I personally don't think that there is enough difference in the offense, between Leury and Engel, versus LHP, to give the platoon role to Leury. I prefer Engels defense.

Engel has been an absolutely horrible hitter against major league pitching outside of 83 BABIP fueled plate appearances against LHP last year. Ā Heā€™s going to need to prove himself over a much largerĀ sample before I feel confident in handingĀ him the RF platoon role over Leury. Ā Also, Adam also doesnā€™t have a great arm,Ā so defensively Iā€™m not sureĀ heā€™sĀ better in RF than GarcĆ­a.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Engel has been an absolutely horrible hitter against major league pitching outside of 83 BABIP fueled plate appearances against LHP last year. Ā Heā€™s going to need to prove himself over a much largerĀ sample before I feel confident in handingĀ him the RF platoon role over Leury. Ā Also, Adam also doesnā€™t have a great arm,Ā so defensively Iā€™m not sureĀ heā€™sĀ better in RF than GarcĆ­a.

Then you shift Robert to right and move Engel to center on those days. Robert has an elite arm for Center and a + arm in right.

I'd go with Collins.Ā  But his stay will be short.Ā  The 26 man roster is mostly set.Ā  Maybe last bullpen spot is open, but its almost certain to go to Fulmer for one last chance unless he has a disastrous ST.Ā  Can't imagine Engel or Mendick will be left off.Ā  Highly doubt a couple nice early ST games from Delmonico puts him back in the picture.Ā  Maybe they give the nod to Romine or Cuthbert just because they'll be easy to DFA, but I'd lean Collins.Ā Ā 

Position players: Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Mazara, Encarnacion, Grandal, McCann, Engel, Mendick, Collins

Pitchers: Giolito, Lopez, Keuchel, Cease, Gonzalez, Colome, Herrera, Bummer, Fry, Cishek, Marshall, Cordero, FulmerĀ Ā 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

When would Yermin play? Who do you even PH him for other than 2B/RF?

Basically no at bats for Mercedes or Collins until there is an injury.Ā  No at bats for Delmonico either - who is he gonna play over?Ā  I said Collins at first blush, but with some more thought, I bet it'd Romine or Cuthbert who will be DFA's upon Madrigal's arrival.Ā Ā 

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Basically no at bats for Mercedes or Collins until there is an injury.Ā  No at bats for Delmonico either - who is he gonna play over?Ā  I said Collins at first blush, but with some more thought, I bet it'd Romine or Cuthbert who will be DFA's upon Madrigal's arrival.Ā Ā 

Yeah just guys who add depth at multiple spots in case of injuries that are easy to get rid of.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Position players: Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Mazara, Encarnacion, Grandal, McCann, Engel, Mendick,Ā 

Pitchers: Giolito, Lopez, Keuchel, Cease, Gonzalez, Colome, Herrera, Bummer, Fry, Cishek, Marshall, Cordero, FulmerĀ Ā 

This is how I see it shaking out too.

Romine or Cuthbert make the OD roster and are cut when Madrigal arrives.

Delmonico, Collins, Mercedes etc in AAA for injury depth.

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

Delmonico can do well for himself to get back in the next man up conversation in the spring, but there is 0.0000 chance he's on the opening day roster,Ā 

But but his number is in the 20s, they are foreshadowing him making the rosterĀ /S

Found this interesting about the 26th man. In Merkinā€™s latest inbox:

Ā 

Will there be a real competition between [Zack] Collins and [Yermin] Mercedes for the 26th roster spot?
-- Vince, Melrose Park, Ill., @vinnyc52

It wonā€™t just be a competition betweenĀ Zack CollinsĀ andĀ Yermin Mercedes. Veteran non-roster infielders such asĀ Cheslor CuthbertĀ andĀ Andrew RomineĀ are in play for the final roster spot, as isĀ Seby Zavala, if Chicago decides to go with a third catcher, orĀ Nicky Delmonico, if the team wants another left-handed bat. Thereā€™s also a real possibility that the 26th man will be someone the White Sox acquire during Spring Training.

With the White Sox lineup set and sturdy, the 26th man will be taking more of a pinch-hitter/part-time role, and Iā€™m not sure the White Sox want Collins to have such infrequent playing time. Mercedes is a viable option, as he possesses big-time power and he is considered a decent receiver behind the plate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I want it to be Yermin because he deserves it. Dude more than paid his dues in the minors.

Pinch hitting for Leury for a few weeks/month?

Edit: just checked and we do play in NL parks 3 timesĀ the first month and a half so if Madrigal hasn't taken the spot by then, we could have the extra bat off the bench.Ā 

Also might be easier to keep him over someone like Romine or CuthbertĀ because he's already on the 40-man.

Edited by soxfan2014