73 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the 26th spot?

• Yermin
    • Zack Collins
    • Cuthbert
    • Other

15 hours ago, Orlando said:

Found this interesting about the 26th man. In Merkin’s latest inbox:

Will there be a real competition between [Zack] Collins and [Yermin] Mercedes for the 26th roster spot?
-- Vince, Melrose Park, Ill., @vinnyc52

It won’t just be a competition between Zack Collins and Yermin Mercedes. Veteran non-roster infielders such as Cheslor Cuthbert and Andrew Romine are in play for the final roster spot, as is Seby Zavala, if Chicago decides to go with a third catcher, or Nicky Delmonico, if the team wants another left-handed bat. There’s also a real possibility that the 26th man will be someone the White Sox acquire during Spring Training.

With the White Sox lineup set and sturdy, the 26th man will be taking more of a pinch-hitter/part-time role, and I’m not sure the White Sox want Collins to have such infrequent playing time. Mercedes is a viable option, as he possesses big-time power and he is considered a decent receiver behind the plate.

Theres no way Seby Zavala is in play. Mercedes and Collins are just fine as third catchers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hahn has said it a couple times last few weeks, but probably just lip service.  

Collins hands have legitimately looked better behind the plate this spring; I have not seen Mercedes back there so tough to say. 

Collins hands have looked much softer and more receiving, and his "framing" is not nearly as jerky as it looked last year. I'm not going to say he's good at it, but he doesn't look like an emergency catcher quite as much this year so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Collins hands have legitimately looked better behind the plate this spring; I have not seen Mercedes back there so tough to say. 

Collins hands have looked much softer and more receiving, and his "framing" is not nearly as jerky as it looked last year. I'm not going to say he's good at it, but he doesn't look like an emergency catcher quite as much this year so far.

How much have you actually seen Colins catch this year?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How much have you actually seen Colins catch this year?

Not much, but I didn't see him catch much last year either. He looks better behind the plate though - threw a guy out today and he looked better catching the ball in his start but you're right that I have nothing to really support that outside of eye sight that can be deceiving so it doesnt really while much weight.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Third catcher role on this team seems made for Mercedes.  It's best for Collins to get more work at AAA.  Along with a big bench bat...3rd catcher is mostly serving backup role to whoever is starting catcher when Grandal or McCann is playing DH.  

Seems like a pretty small opportunity with EE in the fold.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like a pretty small opportunity with EE in the fold.

Because of limited opportunities is why I don't waste Collins in that role.  I wasn't one who was hot for EE.  Mercedes has a big bat that would find some spots however.  There are really half a dozen guys you could make an argument for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

Because of limited opportunities is why I don't waste Collins in that role.  I wasn't one who was hot for EE.  Mercedes has a big bat that would find some spots however.  There are really half a dozen guys you could make an argument for.

So who is Mercedes playing over and who is a pinch hitting for?  His role would be so small and with no added defensive value whatsoever at any position, I just don't see the fit at all.  Seriously tho - his only role would be to pinch hit for Leury (who actually hits lefties quite well), and then immediately take him out for Mendick.  Just doesn't make any sense.  

It's going to be a current FA, or a NRI as the 26th man for a few short weeks until Madrigal arrives.    

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So who is Mercedes playing over and who is a pinch hitting for?  His role would be so small and with no added defensive value whatsoever at any position, I just don't see the fit at all.  Seriously tho - his only role would be to pinch hit for Leury (who actually hits lefties quite well), and then immediately take him out for Mendick.  Just doesn't make any sense.  

It's going to be a current FA, or a NRI as the 26th man for a few short weeks until Madrigal arrives.    

It allows them to DH McCann or Grandal and have them both in the lineup when EE needs breaks, he won't be able to play 162 games. In reality the 26th man won't be getting a lot of time anyways if everyone is healthy.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

It allows them to DH McCann or Grandal and have them both in the lineup when EE needs breaks, he won't be able to play 162 games. In reality the 26th man won't be getting a lot of time anyways if everyone is healthy.

I suppose, but I think McCann is going to get most of his PT against LHP.  EE absolutely mashes LHP - so long as he's healthy, he's playing against LHP.  So the whole McCann and Grandal in the lineup, EE on the bench situation, is not going to happen very often.  Once EE was brought on, McCann's role was really relegated to sparsely used backup C so long as everyone remains healthy.  Obviously the calculus changes if/when any of of EE, Grandal or McCann get hurt, and Mercedes very well could have a role at that point.  

55 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I suppose, but I think McCann is going to get most of his PT against LHP.  EE absolutely mashes LHP - so long as he's healthy, he's playing against LHP.  So the whole McCann and Grandal in the lineup, EE on the bench situation, is not going to happen very often.  Once EE was brought on, McCann's role was really relegated to sparsely used backup C so long as everyone remains healthy.  Obviously the calculus changes if/when any of of EE, Grandal or McCann get hurt, and Mercedes very well could have a role at that point.  

We might have the Yankee luxury of a veteran bench where good players do not get to play every game.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

As I said...the 26th man won't see much action.  Serving as a backup to that days starting catcher or PH when we need a bomb is probably as useful as anyone.  I like both Delmonico and Cuthbert...but whoever it is...not going to play much.  There will probably be some late Spring trade or injury to clear things up a bit.

People are saying if he's the 26th man he won't get much playing time but what if he is the real deal? You all seem to assume he is not. If he gets a chance and rakes are we supposed to continue not playing him over players? He should get a shot in the big leagues in order to earn more playing time.

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

People are saying if he's the 26th man he won't get much playing time but what if he is the real deal? You all seem to assume he is not. If he gets a chance and rakes are we supposed to continue not playing him over players? He should get a shot in the big leagues in order to earn more playing time.

Regular at bats would be hard to come by unless Edwin, Abreu, Grandal or McCann are hurt.

18 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Regular at bats would be hard to come by unless Edwin, Abreu, Grandal or McCann are hurt.

Yermin could probably get 150 at bats or there about.  That would certainly be enough to alter the outcome of several games throughout the season.  That's no less than anyone else being mentioned.  Trades and injuries will determine who wins the final slot.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yermin could probably get 150 at bats or there about.  That would certainly be enough to alter the outcome of several games throughout the season.  That's no less than anyone else being mentioned.  Trades and injuries will determine who wins the final slot.

Idk about 150. Not as a strict back up. Like I said, guys would have to get hurt or Edwin would fall off a cliff offensively to be released.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Edwin could do either at his age and shape.  I like keeping Yermin around for that possibility.

I could see Edwin struggling a bit this season moreso because of his father's passing (or he could just flat out rake in honor of him). I've seen plenty of players handle death differently during a season.

11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I could see Edwin struggling a bit this season moreso because of his father's passing (or he could just flat out rake in honor of him). I've seen plenty of players handle death differently during a season.

I could see him struggling this year simply because he is 37 years old. The dude will slow down sometime.