Reinsdorf makes money off Cubs network

Moan4Yoan

I heard that interview as well.  Even though it is the Cubs, I am surprised Crane Kenney keeps coming on to face the music of Cubs not being on Comcast yet.  Unfortunately for them, I think they will have to cave and give the terms that Comcast wants unless they want to go past Opening Day.

52 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I heard that interview as well.  Even though it is the Cubs, I am surprised Crane Kenney keeps coming on to face the music of Cubs not being on Comcast yet.  Unfortunately for them, I think they will have to cave and give the terms that Comcast wants unless they want to go past Opening Day.

Kenney always makes things worse; he basically said youtubeTV isn't happening during his interview today. So no youtubetv and no comcast lol. The Cubs are going to lose themselves fans because they're so damn greedy.

I absolutely loved them telling fans to call Comcast and complain, and to switch to hulu; as if it's the fans job to follow the Cubs broadcast to the one place that has it, and it's not the Cubs job to assure all fans have access. The tone deaf shit coming out of North Side of the city is absolutely hilarious. They spent 800,000,000 on area upgrades, and millions and millions on starting the network, but they don't have enough money to keep their best player and they don't care if you can watch their games. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Oh I thought the new game was to pretend that the post meant something completely different and respond as such

It was an interesting tidbit of news from The Score that probably neither you nor many other people knew before Crane Kenney said it this morning.  I figured I would share this news.  🤷‍♂  

Edited by Moan4Yoan

It's really funny because the Sox learned this lesson in the 80s with Sportvision, and you'd expect the Cubs wouldn't want to make similar mistakes but nope here they are keeping Cubs games away from all their fans watching Youtube TV and Comcast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

It's really funny because the Sox learned this lesson in the 80s with Sportvision, and you'd expect the Cubs wouldn't want to make similar mistakes but nope here they are keeping Cubs games away from all their fans watching Youtube TV and Comcast.

The Cubs did this same shit with CTV and it flopped miserably and they immediately regretted it; if I remember correctly.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, almagest said:

It's really hard to compare that era though.   Cable was really a luxury back then and now it's in everyone's lives.  There are multiple networks out there that are doing very well

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's really hard to compare that era though.   Cable was really a luxury back then and now it's in everyone's lives.  There are multiple networks out there that are doing very well

The problem for the Cubs is they've sold this as an increased revenue generator that will help them spend even bigger but the first year it's in place, they are slashing payroll and talking about trading elite talent. The Cubs never told fans that the upfront investment would hamper their contention window because their hands would be tied and they wouldn't be able to spend a dime.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

CLTV, you are correct.

It was basically a bad news channel that mostly showed the Chicago weather and an occasional Cubs game but you would always have trouble finding it or knowing when a game was even on CLTV.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I have WOW cable and they currently are not carrying the Marquee Network...please let that continue and as a bonus, I would appreciate the Marquee Network signing Dave Kaplan so that I can truly avoid him in the future.  Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The problem for the Cubs is they've sold this as an increased revenue generator that will help them spend even bigger but the first year it's in place, they are slashing payroll and talking about trading elite talent. The Cubs never told fans that the upfront investment would hamper their contention window because their hands would be tied and they wouldn't be able to spend a dime.

I actually had forgotten the Cubbies signed David Ross as manager until I saw the other day that he had the flu.  I had a nice chuckle remembering that move.  If they finish in 3rd or 4th in the division this year, I am sure the Cubbie fans will lose thier love for old pappa Ross.

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The end result is the same, though. If Comcast and RCN and Youtube TV and any other services aren't carrying the Marquee network who is going to be able to watch the games?

1 minute ago, almagest said:

The end result is the same, though. If Comcast and RCN and Youtube TV and any other services aren't carrying the Marquee network who is going to be able to watch the games?

Right, the MASN and YES networks did themselves a favor and banded together with other pro sports, and made themselves available on cable.  The Cubs dove headlong into this and it appears they felt that they had the leverage to force the networks to ask for them and meet their price 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Right, the MASN and YES networks did themselves a favor and banded together with other pro sports, and made themselves available on cable.  The Cubs dove headlong into this and it appears they felt that they had the leverage to force the networks to ask for them and meet their price 

From what I understand, the problem is the Cubs built bottom clauses into all their current agreements with things like Hulu. What that meant is if the Cubs went out and gave a better offer to Comcast - because they have more leverage and control 90% of the Chicago Market - they would, in turn, have to offer that same rate to Hulu and other providers. This means that the Cubs are in a tough spot, because Comcast has the leverage because they control the market but the Cubs don't want to reduce their guarantees they've already gotten from other providers. Crane strikes again... and there's Jerry in the background, picking up a couple extra bucks as a shrew business man.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

My favorite part about this is that they both observed and learned absolutely nothing from what is going on in LA. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, almagest said:

Anyone with YouTube TV can make the switch to Hulu TV. I'm pretty sure it will be on there. Too busy to look it up at the moment though.

58 minutes ago, wegner said:

I have WOW cable and they currently are not carrying the Marquee Network...please let that continue and as a bonus, I would appreciate the Marquee Network signing Dave Kaplan so that I can truly avoid him in the future.  Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

WOW! just added Marquee yesterday.

36 minutes ago, mqr said:

My favorite part about this is that they both observed and learned absolutely nothing from what is going on in LA. 

Ultimately, is Dodgers viewership or sales down because a major cable provider doesn’t carry Dodgers games?  They are still making money hand over fist via Spectrum.

If Comcast signs on for Marquee, which they probably will eventually, all of this will be forgotten.